Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard sellers will add oil to silence a problematic oil tick. I looked at a bike to buy today and the oil level was 1/8 to 1/16 inch over the "full" line.didn't think it was an issue but sinc it's my first supersport I thought I'd ask here.

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
1. Make sure you check the oil level the proper way (warm up engine, wait for 2-3 minutes then check level)

A cold engine will equal higher oil level as none of them circulate around the engine yet.

2. Yes you can hide tick with more oil but it's not a good thing to do (can lead to blown oil seal etc)
Sometimes you can also do it by using thicker oil, but that's not good for the CCT.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that too much. It's actually not very easy to do quick oil changes for shops and get the oil level dead on the upper line because they don't have efficiency in time it really takes to split hair on oil levels by letting it get warm, then cool down let it sit and recheck it as the oil falls back into the pan or oil tank, and sometimes it can take hours to get a good reading on some bikes. Some people only bring the oil level In between the upper and lower on a stick or sight glass, which I never do. I tend to go over the upper line (unintentionally) and try to keep it on the upper line always, but end up creeping a little over most of the time. I have never once had an issue with putting a little too much oil in motorcycle or cars, and frankly I've probably done that close to a thousand or more times and pretty much every year on my motorcycles. A little too much oil doesn't necessarily mean anyone is trying to cover anything up. If you're really concerned do an oil change yourself.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've over-filled a couple times unintentionally. I usually keep it just below the top line. Anywhere between the top and bottom lines is good, but closer to the top is better than closer to the bottom. It's hard to be super precise, so going over is common.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Overfilling an engine should do nothing for a tick. Ticks are caused by something rotating. Everything inside an engine that rotates is fed pressurized oil from the oil pump. Oil pump pulls oil from the sump, unless its empty the pump is always fully pumping away regardless of oil level.

Now changing the oil weight could certainly hide something, but level I don't see.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Overfilling an engine should do nothing for a tick. Ticks are caused by something rotating. Everything inside an engine that rotates is fed pressurized oil from the oil pump. Oil pump pulls oil from the sump, unless its empty the pump is always fully pumping away regardless of oil level.

Now changing the oil weight could certainly hide something, but level I don't see.
Agreed...
Drain a bit out if worried or as mentioned ask for an oil change. If another reassurance is needed, Just have a tech look at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts