Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just asking for a friend. i tried to search but i got so many threads that had nothing to do with painting fairings.

his bike has been down so it's rashed.

just wants to smooth it up and repaint it. can somebody tell me about how much it should cost so that we know we're not getting ripped off?

rash only on 1 side. i'm guessing it would just be sanded down and repainted right?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I am not sure on the price, but the rashed panel will more than likely need some body filler to fill in the deep scratches.

·
Registered
104 Posts
just get after market fairings or find that side you need on ebay or something, prob be cheaper than painting the bike

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just for the one side?

When I bought my bike it had rash on the tail. I took it to a guy who did paint repair on new cars. Since he didn't have the OEM paint, he had to match it. He sanded the deep grooves out and repainted the rashed portion along with the entire left side to match the paint.

I paid about $180.

Your best bet is to find someone who does extra work on the side rather than taking it to a specialty/paint shop.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for the one side?

When I bought my bike it had rash on the tail. I took it to a guy who did paint repair on new cars. Since he didn't have the OEM paint, he had to match it. He sanded the deep grooves out and repainted the rashed portion along with the entire left side to match the paint.

I paid about $180.

Your best bet is to find someone who does extra work on the side rather than taking it to a specialty/paint shop.

yeah. we really don't care about matching the color or anything or even making it look "new". probably just going to look to paint everything a simple flat black.

just want to take all the plastics off and repaint. but i figure some of the rash may just need a little smoothing out.

180 sounds good. so i guess we'll look for somebody who will do it all for about 350 for the whole bike.

that would definitely be cheaper than buying new fairings. (btw, this is for a 2005 gsxr 600).

·
Registered
116 Posts
if you want to do it for cheap and don't care how quality the job is, you could just pick up rattle cans and do the plastic repair yourself.

You can either buy plastic filler
...or you can find yourself some ABS plastic (comes in tube form) and some MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) which can be found at your local Menards/Home Depot/Lowes. Just grind up the ABS and put it into a container with MEK. Let it dissolve the pieces and try to get the consistency of ketchup. Apply the paste to the low spots and sand it smooth in a few hours or so after it re-cures.

You can keep the cost below $100 including sandpaper and clear coat but it could take you a very long time if you are a perfectionist.

F

·
0 Posts
Hummmm....Interesting....I just had a premonition that my tax refund is going up in a cloud of white Teflon....

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
just asking for a friend. i tried to search but i got so many threads that had nothing to do with painting fairings.

his bike has been down so it's rashed.

just wants to smooth it up and repaint it. can somebody tell me about how much it should cost so that we know we're not getting ripped off?

rash only on 1 side. i'm guessing it would just be sanded down and repainted right?

depends on the quality of work you want

im sure you can get it done for 100 dollars, but a PREMIUM job will cost alot more.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I paid $400 bucks for a nice job here in good ol' Canada...... But the prep work was already complete so that price was just to shoot it....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts