Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok to lesson learned.
and a few pics to prove it.

riding home from work today, I hit a bimp going over a drawbridge and felt a clank....
reouded a corner and came to a light. reached down to see what it may be and something was missing...my tag.

I grabbed the power wire that led to the light on the tag mount and followed it down... it went between my tire and the hugger. SH!T!!!!

well Im the first vehicle at the light Ill just slowly get though the intersection and pull up onto the sidewalk.
CANK CRUNCH WIND.......
SH!T now what, Im in gear. no traction...
look down and the chain is off the gear and the tag is in the street....

The busiest intersection in tampa, durring rush hour.
by the time I got back to the tag a few cars had run over it.

being a relative new-b i didnt know what else to do so i put the top of the chain on the sprocket and in neutraland rolled it backwards. (mind you im in a dress shirt and slacks) I heard a pop but it re-seated and i was able to get home...
aparently the tag went between the chain and the sprocket. answering one problem.
the other problem was that when i placed the tag mount directly over the axel... this is the location of the shortest distance between the wheel and the exhaust.

Needless to say T-... Im going to need another one LOL... so if you want to send me an invoice, ill get that payment off ot you LOL

·
Registered
164 Posts
so i still don't understand how it came off in the first place.How did you mount it originally? What is the reason why it fell off screws was not tight?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the mount directly over the axel and the tad was angled out the back.instead of towards the front. thats the oposite direction the wheel is spinning...

when I hit the bump the tire connected with the bottom edge of the tag frame,

kinetic energy on inanimate objects has a tendency to break things....

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
That must have been one hell of a bump. Weight of you??? Is the bike lowered??? Can ride two up and have still never come close to hitting the tire. That's nearing rear suspension maxing out!!!!!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
HAHA...
I found out that the way Hotbodies tells you to mount
your plate to their undertail is FTL that same exact way.

I got lucky though, didn't break anything and hammered the plate flat again

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That must have been one hell of a bump. Weight of you??? Is the bike lowered??? Can ride two up and have still never come close to hitting the tire. That's nearing rear suspension maxing out!!!!!
Im right at 200 and the suspension and length is stock. I had ridden 2 up with my girl over the weekend and she is right at 100. I think the angle of the plate was just not right and narrowed the distance between the wheel and the tag

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You sound like a fuckin' squid.
Interestingly the people that usually make comments like this about responsible riders are usually the squids.

I had FULL GEAR on. I was doing the speed limit and I was not stunting. as is always the case when I ride.
it was just unusual circumstances.
can you say that? FU(K!N A$$

show pix of how it was mounted>?
here is a pic of how it was mounted. .. the only thing I can assume is that it was not angled out when I hit the bump. it mus thave been angled more towards the tire.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
That was one serious bump. Is it possible that the screws loosened up and it just fell down and hit your tire? I can't imagine it bottoming out like that. Thats enough to crack your tailbone. At least there was no major accident.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was one serious bump. Is it possible that the screws loosened up and it just fell down and hit your tire? I can't imagine it bottoming out like that. Thats enough to crack your tailbone. At least there was no major accident.
double checked the blind nuts. they were fine.
there is a pretty deep scratch on the inside corner of the upper chain side of the swing arm. looks like it actually dug deep enough to see inside but just barely. the place must have done it when the sprocket pulled it through.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that will tkae a day or 2. I dont have the camera today and Im not going that way.

yes I have determined that the way I had the folding bracket mounted was with the bracket facing forward and then with the plate on folded back
if I mount the bracket facing back in the first place, then I should gain about 1.5-2 inches. towards the tail without having to relocate the blind nuts.

I wanna see a picture of that bump!

Is there any way to slide the bracket further towards the tail?

·
Registered
255 Posts
No offense intended, but is your suspension set up right? It just doesn't even seem possible that you could bottom out like that and not crack your spine! Or maybe there is something wrong with your rear suspension? Have you checked the rear damper for leaks?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when you say spine do you mean on me?
I don't know what the spine on the bike is.
as for the suspension. it is exactly as it was when I bought it new 2300 miles ago.

I haven't specifically checked the rear damper for leaks, but i didnt see anything suspicious when I checked the area.

the "bump" in question is a point where the road crosses an intersection and immediately begins an up hill slant to get high enough to reach the drawbridge.

the distance to the edge of the bridge is only about 200 feet.
I was probably doing 35-40 when i hit it, I wasnt looking but I was in first and judging from the sound probably at about 8-9k rpms.

here is a google map.
in the left hand lane (one way street) going west... there is a bit of a glare in one frame of the street view but best i can tell there must have been a dip right after the man hole then up onto the bridge.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33602&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.222969,71.71875&ie=UTF8&ll=27.943485,-82.457835&spn=0.000383,0.001094&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=27.943485,-82.457835&panoid=THdKr3FLP-8SJZGQs9Sz-w&cbp=11,271.1429551541217,,0,13.657768005784272

1 - 20 of 32 Posts