Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a mix of street riding and track days, and I'm wondering how much more often I should change my oil and do other regular maintenance since track days are more demanding on the motorcycle than street riding? I've heard some ppl say to change the oil after every track day, and others say to just change it every 3k mi like normal... I feel like changing it after every track day is a little overkill (but please correct me if i'm wrong) but that it should probably be done more often than if I was just doing street riding. I actually just changed my oil after 1500 mi which included 3 track days, is that a reasonable time interval?

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Generally I would say every two to three track days.... If you are street riding with a decent amount of miles between (+600 miles). Change your oil before each track day.

Just good insurance to give you that warm fuzzy feeling

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
What you said about 1500 miles is a reasonable interval

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I change my filter every time I change my oil.... Not necessary, but I do.

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
I recently changed my oil after 5000k miles and 2 trackdays. My oil still looked like it had more life left in it.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Mr. Honda recommends every 8000 miles. I change mine every 6000 miles, which is about a year of riding for me. I do 6-8 track days a year. I just checked my valves for the first time at 32K miles. They're spot-on. I think lots of people overdo it with the oil changes.

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
mr. Honda recommends every 8000 miles. I change mine every 6000 miles, which is about a year of riding for me. I do 6-8 track days a year. I just checked my valves for the first time at 32k miles. They're spot-on. I think lots of people overdo it with the oil changes.
:+1:...........

·
Registered
103 Posts
7 race weekends per year, track-only bike.
Oil and filter before weekend 1
Oil before weekend 3
Oil and filter before weekend 5
Rinse and repeat

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
If you think about it, the more track time you do, the more you can leave the oil filter alone between changes, since there will be far less time and miles on the bike (and dust and contaminates in the oil) for the filter to do it's job, versus the street (where you're going to ride many more miles and go through a lot more dust, dirt, exhaust, pollen, etc.)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hhm, thanks for the info, i think i'll continue to go with every two to three track days between oil and filter changes depending on how much street riding i do between days.

any recommendations for an oil filter? I have been using K&N since it has a nut on top and makes it a little easier to loosen, do any other brands have that?

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
hhm, thanks for the info, i think i'll continue to go with every two to three track days between oil and filter changes depending on how much street riding i do between days.

any recommendations for an oil filter? I have been using K&N since it has a nut on top and makes it a little easier to loosen, do any other brands have that?
K&N is the only brand that has that. I run Mobil 1 m-108 filters, a lil cheaper than the K&N but just as good IMO

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I don't think anyone else has that, which sucks. However many oil filters have those indented sides and a filter cup socket works great on them. As for brands, oil is like magic in that no one can agree on what's 'best', in general just stick with anything that is above board and you'll wreck or sell your bike long before the filter is ever a problem.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Mr. Honda recommends every 8000 miles. I change mine every 6000 miles, which is about a year of riding for me. I do 6-8 track days a year. I just checked my valves for the first time at 32K miles. They're spot-on. I think lots of people overdo it with the oil changes.
What he said.

But feel free to change it as often as u want. Its your bike and your money. If every trackday or 3 works for you, then do it.

As long as you're putting quality oil and filter in there its all good either way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts