Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 18, and I leave for the Army in 6 weeks. I've really been tempted to buy a bike now and let my good friend's dad watch it while I'm gone, he has two bikes of his own and I trust him. But I am most likely just going to wait until after I'm settled in the Army.

But how old were you guys?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'd wait until after boot camp and get to where you're going to be stationed. When I joined the navy it was over 6 months before I got to where I was stationed... You may find a better deal there

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You should wait till after Basic and AIT. You'll be more diciplined and you'll have more money.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, my AIT is 6 months, so after about 9 months I know I'll have quite a bit more money. Which is what I'll probably be doing. But since I sort of have the chance now to get a bike, it's hard to not to do it lmao.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was 19 when I got my first bike, but I would wait and be a bit more wise with your money and not just throw it around

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
22 and should have waited 2-3 more years to wise up.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I was 16 , bought a ninja 900 , three months later hit a minivan doing 80mph totaled the bike. Years laters grew up and now responsibly ride the rr.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Patience always pays off. I would wait until you're done with your training. Plus you'll have more money to buy something you will really enjoy and get more use out of. I first started with a Yamaha 225 when I was 17.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
60 Posts
18.. it was an F4i that needed lots of work. it helped me learn how to work on bikes.. eventually got it running and looking real good... then sold it for 3x more than i paid for it :)

·
Vendor
14,330 Posts
I was 10 when I got my first bike. But I was 25 when I got my first street bike. Goal of mine was to own a bike by 25. Got it on my birthday!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
i was 21 and bought a 94 cbr600f2 that a guy flipped backwards doing a wheelie picked it up for $500 fixed her up nice rode it for a year and sold for $1500 lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah I would wait as well till after you get to your first duty station. I was at Camp Pendleton. 1st Recon/1988-92 and I was so glad I waited..because on the west coast there is a Bike shop on almost every corner. Maintanance is cheap (well cheaper than here in NY) and the Deals are more abundant. Just be weary of the shysters, If you have a good down payment don't settle for a long payment plan with high interest. All dealerships near military bases get you sucked into that. Good luck man and stay motivated. Army boot camp is a cake walk...it's infantry training that's gonna kick yer but :)

I was 20 when I got my first CB Hurricane 23 years ago been down 4 times...by some leathers being young you're gonna have big balls.
I was 9 when I first started in the dirt on an old Honda XL125

1 - 20 of 56 Posts