Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always gone about hosing down my bike with a garden hose careful and using a glove/brush to get the dirt n' grit off and then going back over it with glass cleaner for the detail.

Last night I got stuck in a stupid viscious storm so my bike is NASTY this mornin. Is it alright to use those pressure washers from the car wash? I work across from one so I could get my biek over there before the engine even warms up. It's prolly a stupid question but I've never used em on a bike. But then again I've never had it THIS dirty either. looks like I went friggin muddin in it last night. I hate bein out when it JUST starts to rain heavy.. arg. Much better after it's been rainin for a good long time. Either way shits gettin cleaned at lunch.

·
I've Got A Fever
1,478 Posts
It'll be fine. Just hold the hose back farther from the bike so your not hitting it with full pressure and be careful around the cluster. I've gone to the car wash a few times and haven't had any problems.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
I bought one of those Husky pressure washers that I use on it. Just avoid direct blasting any electronics components. I would be nervous using just any old car wash though. Some of them use an alkaline cleaner that will streak alluminum.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Ive used pressure washers for YEARS on bikes and cars of all sorts and never had any of these horror stories that everyone seems to talk about ever happen to me. Use a little common sence...dont continually blast away at engine seals, your chain or electrical parts and all will be well! In my book, its the ONLY way to get something REALLY clean!

·
Registered
36 Posts
just make sure you dont point the hose directly into the air intakes. Everything else is ok. The electrical/electronic equipment on the bike is pretty well protected.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I washed my bike and it fell apart.

ok. maybe not. Worked out slick. just stood back a little more than I do w/my car. Now after work I'll go take care of the water spots n' I'll be good to go!

Next time I'll remember a shammy =)

Didn't ever notice how much getting cought in the initial downpour of rain throws tremendous amounts of dirt everywhere. Practicly looked like I went muddin.

·
Banned
433 Posts
No one is mentioning the shocks...I bought some Ohlins shocks for my scooter and after only one week the seals were leaking on one of the shocks. I'm guessing it was from using a pressure washer, it was under warranty though. Since that I don't use it on my bike anymore....it also states in the owners manual that the pressure washer can damage the tires. So, I'd be careful there too. Mind you...if I had to clean the bike myself..I might risk it....but I just pay someone else to clean it...about once every two weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts