Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I m just curious how soon did you go to the track, I mean how long were you riding before you went to the track. I ve been riding my own bike for a little bit over a month and have a little over 1300 miles on it, but I have ridden my buddies on quite few occasions and I did about 1000 miles on his, anyway back to the question I just really like the idea of going to the track, also what is involved on getting ready for the track day I mean how you have to be prepared and the bike, Thanks Sebo

· Registered
525 Posts
I have been riding since 99 and didnt hit the tack until this year. But my first time at the track (TPM Art Basic course) there was a kid that only had 800 miles of street time. But he rode dirt his whole life. He didnt look too bad.

As far as getting the bike ready, there are tons of threads on getting ready for your first track day. Also if you check out the local riding organizations. For me www.teampromotion.com and www.nesba.com. They have all the information on getting your bike ready. I think there is another good site www.trackdaycentral.com.

Good luck,
Dusty

· Registered
171 Posts
MY first bike was a salvage 600rr and I had a temp tag for it for a few days before I took it to get registered. Well I ended up never registering it and Instead I went to the track and got my race license. Ive been at the track ever since. If you feel comfortable on the bike give it a shot. if you stay within your limits at the track you will be fine.

· Registered
676 Posts
to prep the bike for most novice trackdays you should:
remove the mirrors - leaving the block plate
disconnect the headlights, taillight, for the turn signals remove the bulb - tape them all

If you can safely ride and corner your bike I would say you're ready for the track. But, remember that the trackday isn't a race so don't try to chase that old guy that flies past you; treat it as a learning experience and go at your own pace.

· Registered
508 Posts
i've been riding my RR for one full year now. i've been to two trackdays with no problems.

· Registered
386 Posts
It took me 10 years of street riding before I hit the track. I had no idea us common folks were allowed to do that until I went to VIR for an AMA event. I seen bikes all over with number plates on them but they weren't racing. Turns out, the Monday after the AMA round, NESBA had a track day and people were staying for it. Now, it's just a hassle to make my legal on the street again. Nothing but track days now. It's a damn drug..

· Registered
796 Posts
I hit the track after about 8 month of riding. I was shakeing the whole time. For me, it was pretty damn intimidating. I've been to two trackdays thus far and was actually able to drag my knee the first time out. I'm slow as **** tho... Make sure you get some pics cuz it helps on ur form. here is a pic of my 2nd time out at pahrump.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Didn't think about it till I joined this site and now I am addicted to the most expensive drug out there! I don't think it really matters how long you have been riding. Go take a track school (well worth the money) and go from there. If you like to turn you bike and want to see what it is really meant to do... Then the track is for you!!!

· Registered
268 Posts
i put 3000 street miles (2 months)before i went because thats what they told me. i was stocked on it and took my bike off the street so i can only do track days. i put my knee down the 1st day too. it was nothing to me. well i rode with older guys not squids thank god

· Registered
147 Posts
learnt on the track before getting on the road. 13 years of age on my Bro's RZ 350. (I'm 34 or almost 35 years old) The vintage of the bike stated.
So going on the road was more intimidating than the track.
He was a racer, so the intro was mandatory. (I crashed at 120MPH and stuffed my knee for 6-10 weeks - then got back on a KR-500! - dirt! I dont know why I pushed it for that last lap so much more than I did previously- showing off to his mates I suppose. I was going to pull into the pits a lap before. Bit crazy.
Also rode a TZ 250gp bike when I was 15 or so I have always been comfortable on
the track the road has taken some getting used to, more so than the track.
Haven't been on a track for a while, but I go into a racing frenzy when I get on the track. If and when you go on the track - Know your limits!!!! and keep in mind those around you will be faster, and slower. Just do your own thing.
Racing.... well thats another story, just wish I was 21 again. Bikes are soooo good now.

· Registered
991 Posts
I've been riding since February of this year, my first bike, and I hit the track for the first time last month. Honestly I think it all depends on the person whether they will be able to handle the track or not. I havn't eaten it yet and I've managed to put over 14,000 miles on my bike so far. Others have managed to eat it 5 times and only have 3,000 miles on their bike. It all depends on who YOU are and how YOU react to situations.

Just remember that if you do go to the race track that you WILL crash on your bike. If you don't then you're lucky like me or you weren't riding on the track like you should be. Also, when you go don't worry about dragging knee. I don't know why everyone has this facination with draggin their knee, I guess it makes them feel like they are faster than most. When I was out there I never once hit my knee to the pavement, I kissed pavement with my boots but never my knee and you know what....I was on a STOCK bike and managed to be faster than all the other C group riders when I was out there, and 600cc bikes are a RARE site to see out on the track...or at least it was the 3 times I've gone so far. Also you wont see many STOCK bikes, usually the only stock bikes are 1000cc.

It is about being smooth, not about seeing if you can touch your knee. Do like I did and learn your lines for the first session and then speed up with every session out their, by the end of they day you'll be passing the 1000cc bikes and their riders who are draggin knee...meanwhile they see you go past them at a faster speed through the turn and then they notice you're knee isn't hitting...PISSES THEM OFF, then they pass you in the straight away and think they are all badass and drag knee on the first turn or two untill you pass them, then they get pissy and claim you're riding a 1000cc that has more upgrades than theirs.

this happend to me at Laguna Seca...guy on a CBR1000RR accused me of lying when I said my bike was stock and only 600cc. The three other CBR1000RR I was grouped with all laughed at him. This guy thought he was the **** too because he had been to Laguna twice before and he was faster than all of us the first two sessions out. Third session out I finally decided to speed up because I had my lines down....that's when the crying began.

here are some pics from when I went. You'll have a blast dude, but I suggest you wait a bit longer. The track is a EYE opener and if you aren't ready for it it will consume you.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=59995&page=3

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.