Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so we hired this new guy at work a couple weeks ago, he's a young dude about 19 or 20 pretty cool guy i like him alright. anyway the Kid hears me one monday morning answer the usual how was your weekend question from another co-worker. I say: fantastic , I rode the bike all weekend long too bad its over. right after that the kids asking me what bike i have, how fast is it, etc. you guys know the usual questions. next thing i know he's bought himelf one. He announced it today and immediately started sharing with me all the aftermarket parts hes ordered and what he's bout to order. he wants to know where he can get heads and cams power commanders the whole set-up. bear in mind he's only ridden the bike 27 miles to his apartment. I figure he's ridden before so i tell him what i know and he goes on to ask me how to do a wheelie. that was the red flag, i had to ask: "how many bikes have you ridden ?". he said one for 27 miles yesterday. OMG. I tell him i dont really do wheelies, i might pop it up for a second but i never try to ridem out. my next question is "do you have a helmet?" he looks at me like it's something he hadn't even considered yet. i giggled and said you spent/spending all this money on the bike already and you haven't even started to think about getting some gear? WTF goes on in some peeps heads? neway i've decided i cant watch him splatter himself down the highway doin 167 mph wheelies in a straight line, so im gonna take him out to a parking lot and some sweepers i take short trips on and break him off right tomorrow, at least try and let him know what he needs to know to keep him 2 tires down and between the mayo n the mustard. he still doesn't have a helmet which i hate, but he said he was ridin tomorrow no matter what so i figured if he's gonna ride with no gear at all that i might as well be there to try and keep him at a slow pace on some easy curves. any body ever know anybody like that? how do you care for newborn squids? lol.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
my advice would be not to try and teach him yourself and if you really want to help him out get him to take the motorcycle course..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wow, I can't say I know anybody in the same ballpark as that kid. Thumbs up for doing the right thing and showing him the basics. What bike did he pick up?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't know many 19-20yr olds who aren't squids, especially when its their first bike :)

Regardless, he's lucky to have you to show him the way. haha

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
grab that kid by the neck, slap him to make sure he is awake and then give it to him straight.

do him and his family a favor by trying to steer this lost soul in the right direction.

good thing he found you first and not some other freakin squid..

so what kind of bike did he get... just for giggles

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
he bought a buell xb9, I think i'm gonna take him to wallyworld first thing and try n talk him into one of those 50 dollar bell helmets for the time being. I tried showing him youtube vids of tank slappers and examples of target fixation i dont know if the message sunk in. it only takes one close call to make a guy/gal realize how fast things can go from weeeee! to whoaaaa!!!
yeah I feel ya cbRacer. But I know he's gonna be ridin this weekend regardless and i'd rather be there to lend some precautionary advice and kinda keep him at a conservative pace than not and go to work monday and hear he went head first into a guard rail.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I bought full gear before I even got my first bike. That's commitment.

Spell it out for him, "you're an idiot". If that's not enough, he'll just have to learn the hard way.

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
Wow, I can't say I know anybody in the same ballpark as that kid. Thumbs up for doing the right thing and showing him the basics. What bike did he pick up?
:+1::shakehandOne of my students died shortly after getting his first bike. It pains me every time I think about it. I always preached motorcycle safety to him, but he drank and drove one night just a few months after his graduation from high school and that was it. only 18yrs old.

·
Registered
183 Posts
why waste energy and time, if he wants to die then let him. it's really none of your business...well..with the rising costs of insurance premiums and bad image, perhaps

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why waste energy and time, if he wants to die then let him. it's really none of your business...well..with the rising costs of insurance premiums and bad image, perhaps
:fyou: thats a helluva thing to say about somebody. why did i waste my time overseas for you well with the rising cost of oil and how great i look in bdu's, perhaps .

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
:shakehand hats off to you for trying to do the right thing. there's only so much we can show and tell others about safety. maybe they see the light and change their ways. or, like in ninja's case, they throw our words of safety and caution to the wind. ultimately, whether they decide to listen or not is their decision.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Tie some rope around him and tow him down the road behind your bike for a km or 2, then see if he's still not interested in buying gear.

Hats off to you mate, i think you should definately step in and educate the kid as much as possible. It may just save, at worse, his life.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i would hope that as a veteran rider your advice to him will sink in, make him realize that being cool isn't about riding in no gear, no helmet, with half naked chicks on the back. I wasn't a squid when i started riding, but a guy i work with really drove some good concepts into my mind and i never ride without thinking about them. some stuff was basic and some a little absurd, but hes been riding for 30 yrs and i have to respect that.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
so we hired this new guy at work a couple weeks ago, he's a young dude about 19 or 20 pretty cool guy i like him alright. anyway the Kid hears me one monday morning answer the usual how was your weekend question from another co-worker. I say: fantastic , I rode the bike all weekend long too bad its over. right after that the kids asking me what bike i have, how fast is it, etc. you guys know the usual questions. next thing i know he's bought himelf one. He announced it today and immediately started sharing with me all the aftermarket parts hes ordered and what he's bout to order. he wants to know where he can get heads and cams power commanders the whole set-up. bear in mind he's only ridden the bike 27 miles to his apartment. I figure he's ridden before so i tell him what i know and he goes on to ask me how to do a wheelie. that was the red flag, i had to ask: "how many bikes have you ridden ?". he said one for 27 miles yesterday. OMG. I tell him i dont really do wheelies, i might pop it up for a second but i never try to ridem out. my next question is "do you have a helmet?" he looks at me like it's something he hadn't even considered yet. i giggled and said you spent/spending all this money on the bike already and you haven't even started to think about getting some gear? WTF goes on in some peeps heads? neway i've decided i cant watch him splatter himself down the highway doin 167 mph wheelies in a straight line, so im gonna take him out to a parking lot and some sweepers i take short trips on and break him off right tomorrow, at least try and let him know what he needs to know to keep him 2 tires down and between the mayo n the mustard. he still doesn't have a helmet which i hate, but he said he was ridin tomorrow no matter what so i figured if he's gonna ride with no gear at all that i might as well be there to try and keep him at a slow pace on some easy curves. any body ever know anybody like that? how do you care for newborn squids? lol.
the squid is strong on that one. :crackup:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Get him into a MSF corse and get him in some gear - Helmet; gloves, and jacket at a minimum. Hell feed his squiddy side and get him to pick up some of the Icon gear.

·
Banned
2,603 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
the squid is strong on that one. :crackup:

"The squid is strong with that one",
, "For once you go down the squidly path, forever will it dominate your destiny, road rash your ass it will".

1 - 20 of 59 Posts