Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey RR,
I'm not a new rider at all. I have had my rr for about 1 1/2 yr now. Been hitting the mountains for over a year but can never dragged my knee. The only time i ever did it, I low-sided and slid 20 feet and rails on the mountains stopped me from going down the cliff. Now that my bike is up to 99% the way it was. Now i need to learn how to drag the correct way. Any threads to show me? Any Advice would be greatly helpful. thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Don't try to drag your knee. It's as simple as that. With proper form in a turn, your knee will drag when the bike wants it to drag.

·
Chief IronLungs
2,000 Posts
I'm not a new rider at all. I have had my rr for about 1 1/2 yr now.

why do you need to drag your knee?

obviously you dont lean off, enough, if you lowsided your last attempt....

my advice is.... stop watching motoGP

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried pulling out my knee as much as possible, but am i surpose to go faster as i lean? but the faster i go, the straighter the bike wants to go. i havent been to the track since i work 7 days a week. cant really afford to take any days off. and when im not working, I'm in training for the marine corps.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
forget about dragging a knee, just work on your form and dragging ur knee will come on its own.

kids have to learn to walk before the run, right?

take the lowside as a lesson and take it to the track.

·
Vendor --- BOTM 05/2009
2,637 Posts
Don't worry about it. It's pretty hard to drag a knee on the street really if you are riding smart. I very rarely do it and when I do its usually the result of me ending up in a corner a lot hotter than I wanted to be.

On the track its a totally different ball game. You have so much more room and feel so much safer that its a lot easier to go fast, then you start dragging your knee all over the place without trying. It's actually more of a problem than an achievement. you have to concentrate on keeping your toes pointed in and high on the pegs and try harder to make good form as you end up running out of room since you are draging toe sliders, knees , all cramped up, out of space, wishing you had more. etc..

Most of the guys I see dragging knees on the street regularly are not even leaning enough to do it in the first place and just look like posers. Work on keeping your body low, and kissing the mirror in the turns and don't worry about the knee

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sometimes i scrape my toes, does that mean it was a potential knee drag but not the correct form? i have been starting to reposition my feet so that it sits high, and besides keeping my body low, how far off my a$$ should i be on the other side of the seat?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL u don't know how much I'm laughing right now, I'm litterly off my ass laughing. That's a great picture. But is that guy doing it on purpose or is that right before he's going to eat it.

·
Vendor --- BOTM 05/2009
2,637 Posts
sometimes i scrape my toes, does that mean it was a potential knee drag but not the correct form? i have been starting to reposition my feet so that it sits high, and besides keeping my body low, how far off my a$$ should i be on the other side of the seat?
It means you need to put your feet up higher on the pegs, the ball of your foot should be up on the peg and keep your toes pointed inward. I have a bit of a problem with this myself. I keep them up high enough but my foot is pointed outward a bit so I scrape my toe sliders a lot. Scraping toes does not mean you could have touched a knee. You can have chicken strips 2 inches wide and still drag toes if you don't pick your feet up.

You should just stay low and work on being comfortable and very relaxed first. I big problem for me early on was that I would concentrate too much on form and hang too far off the bike. It was dangerous. I damn near fell off a few times from bumps or my outside foot slipping off the peg. You need to be connected and in control of the bike. The main thing is to keep the center of gravity as low as you can. If you scoot a little off to the side and keep your head low that will be plenty enough to run an A group pace. Don't worry about anythign else for a long time. It will come when you need it. Hell one of my good buddies is winning the South East WERA senior superbike right now and he's still finding flaws and perfecting his form. It's a life long quest.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Its pretty hard for me to drag knees on the street as well. If you are running wide trying to do it, its because you are slowing down too much before you take the corner, then are trying to accelerate too much mid corner to get the lean angle required to put your knee down.

With that being said, DONT try to go in any faster unless you are totally comfortable with it and know the corner. As a matter of fact, dont try it at all because riding on the street is dangerous enough as it is.

Ever since going to the track I have pretty much given up riding fast on the street. It isnt worth it, bad **** can happen and you arent proving anything. Take it to the track, work on your lines, proper body position, braking, and the knee will touch down soon enough as your build your confidence and increase your speed.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
i dont get a knee down often al all in fact i tend to hold it in ..

even when i does scape i tend to get a fright and pull it back in!

·
Registered
266 Posts
You have three options:

1) Continue your knee-drag attempts on the street on your own. Most likely outcome - another crash.

2) Go to a track day and get proper instruction and feedback in a safe environment. You still might crash, but you'll be learning a temendous amount on how to handle your motorcycle. You say you can't afford it, but it's probably cheaper than fixing a crash from option 1.

3) Take it easy on the street and just enjoy riding your bike. Watch out for oncoming traffic making left turns in front of you. :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Guilty as charged. I am in a wheelchair or using crutch/cane and my bike is in the shop because I got greedy and am not using good (enough) form :p

I almost became this guy:
http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/mc-crash6.mpg
but lowsided into the grass about halfway through.

No more trying to drop knee on the street for me. I can't wait to get my bike back, next steps (maybe next year) will be trackdays (proper instruction/advice from more experienced riders/instructors).

1 - 20 of 68 Posts