Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of my other hobbies like snowboarding allow me to be on the mtn every weekend if I so desire. Whether it's Mammoth, Mt High, or Big Bear...I can ride every weekend, without dropping tons o tons of cash.

Now to motorcycles. If I wanted to be on the track at least every other weekend, without dropping a minimum of $600 a weekend....how would I do that?

What are my options so that I can have maximum time on the track? I picked up snowboarding very quickly because I had maximum exposure. Same with just about everything else. But I have yet to find a solution that allows me maximum exposure on the track.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well all answers so far are entertaining, they somehow miss the mark. I want to know how I can at least be on the track two weekends a month AND I want to know how to do it without spending 600+ per weekend.

Anybody know how to get more time on the track?

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you go through nesba.com or sportbiketracktime.com you can do a two day weekend for about $145-$160 for one day and $250-$300 for twp depending on the two day discount. Add on you travel and food. I don't see why it would be that hard to spend less than $600 a weekend. I am excluding tires and misc tools or parts. That stuff is in a category all its own. So you spend lets say $300 for two days that gives you and extra $300 for travel, motel, and food expense.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
build yourself a hut by the track and ride when nobody's around. OR, build your own!

Seriously though, what you're proposing isn't really feasible. Aside from the track fees, you're looking at lodging, tires, gas for the bike, gas for the trip and food. Unless you have tons of spare cash, and time, this is only a dream.

Hey, if you can do it though, more power to you!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
doesnt matter how much money he has or doesnt have.... hes asking how to do it WITHOUT spending too much of said money.

this is the dilemma that faces those of us with expensive hobbies such as this. imagine the higher end car racing..... drag racing... i was a part of a Jeg's Super Quick rear engine drag team last summer and we blew a chunk out of the block of a blown big block.

the sad part is, parts manufacturers and track owners know fanatics with expensive hobbies usually have money and are willing to spend it on what they love. EVERYTHING is expensive.... i mean come on... rearsets are a few pieces of aluminum and are $500+.....

·
Registered
969 Posts
Dreams do come true, It was a dream alone for me to even own one of these wonderful machines. Definatly gonna have to spend some cash to get on the track though, the only solution I came about is bust your balls working through the week which will allow you to hit the track on the weekends. Just depends on how bad you want it!!

Im 23, no kids, not married, and still live at home (yes I Know still live at home?) & have yet to hit the track, but it will happen sooner or later, just can't get discouraged!!!

Just a thought & a dream I guess...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh...thank you. Someone finally understands. You're right. I want to see if there is a way to do what I want, without shelling out the big bucks. If I have to..I will, but I'd prefer to be smart about it if at all possible.

The other area that seems to be lacking is the amount of track times that are available on the weekends. I can do an occassional weekday event, but with work the way it is....that's not too often.

What would be helpful is to get inside the dealer network and find out some of the hidden secrets that could help lessen the cost and increase the opportunities.

Only time will tell!

potate311 said:
doesnt matter how much money he has or doesnt have.... hes asking how to do it WITHOUT spending too much of said money.

this is the dilemma that faces those of us with expensive hobbies such as this. imagine the higher end car racing..... drag racing... i was a part of a Jeg's Super Quick rear engine drag team last summer and we blew a chunk out of the block of a blown big block.

the sad part is, parts manufacturers and track owners know fanatics with expensive hobbies usually have money and are willing to spend it on what they love. EVERYTHING is expensive.... i mean come on... rearsets are a few pieces of aluminum and are $500+.....

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
another big thing to watch for is deals on tires. look for closeouts or buy 1/2 get one free deals. i know a certain moderator who got 2 front and 4 rear Super Corsas for something like $800 or less.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well in the summer I'm @ the track 3 times a month if not 4 and I'm far from rich. So let me try to help.

1. Get a tent and camp. Bring and cook your own food.
2. Run harder compound tires. Use tire warmers.
3. Find someone to carpool to tracks with.
4. Do preventive mantance.

Its really not that hard. Just watch were spending your money.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These are very good suggestions and I definitely appreciate it. I do realize how quickly the money adds up for the little stuff.

It's not so much the tires and the food and stuff that concerns me. It's the # of track days available that don't run 250 per day.

twisty said:
Well in the summer I'm @ the track 3 times a month if not 4 and I'm far from rich. So let me try to help.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
twisty said:

I couldn't agree more. If you have a track that's not far from you, it's pretty easy to keep from spending $600 a week... pick up a good set of tires...pick up some warmers and a generator... it may be expensive at first... but they'll pay off in the long-run. Being able to get 5-6 weekends out of a set of tires...is MUCH better then heat-cycling the crap out of your tires...and having to foot a new set every 2 weeks.

Cut out on all your other 'hobby expenses'... most people who are seriously track addicted cut back drastically on other life expenses...bar hopping, 'clubbing'... eating out a lot... whatever else...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Here are ways to SAVE money to get your dream to come true...

1. DO NOT EAT OUT!!!!!
2. Buy Groceries from Wal-mart
3. Infact BUY EVERYTHING from Wal Mart CHEAP Prices
4. Dont just drive around to drive. Stay at home Watch TV SLEEP
5. If you think twice about it, YOU DO NOT NEED IT
6. Any ******** Expenses you have GET RID OF THEM
7. Eat at the Soup Kitchen (just kidding but a good idea)
8. If you really dont watch TV too much then you DO NOT NEERD CABLE/SAT
9. Maybe look for cheaper living expenses
10. Shop for cheaper Insurance
11. Take your bike to work more often to save on gas or get a scooter

I do almost all of this and I save ALOT OF money

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
buy an extended astro van and take out the back seats, lay down some nice carpet and make that your new home, you can fit two bikes in the back, sleep in it, eat in it, watch TV in it, keep your tools in it... and they come in like a 4.2L V6 so low gas consumption. I love mine :p not as cool as a 350Z though :( Oh well...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts