Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Step by step followed by pictures....the pics are numbered by steps
Parts needed are Bosch 5-pin relay..any 5-pin headlight relay will work, H4 bulbs, sharp scissors(metal sheers), H4 harness 18 gauge wires, electric tape...optional parts: soldering iron and solder, female connectors..(note: some 5-pin switches comes with the harness so female connectors don't have to be purchased)
sorry i didnt take pics of my own install but this is pretty thorough..
Low Beam

Low Beam

High Beam

Bulb (lol...figured u knew that but oh well)

Step 1...disconnect both bulbs and harness..bulbs will have to be removed

Step 2...open back piece of stock connector and cut a notch in the piece for another spade connector to fit. examine the h4 connector you purchased and see how the 3rd connector goes in(notice the part with the black arrow)..you will cut a similar notch and insert the wire from the purchased connector in the stock harness...(the aftermarket harness can be used instead to speed up the install since all but half the wires will be cut anyways)

Step 3...notice how the H4 bulb is lager at the base...this is where the metal sheers come into play..cut the mounting base to the same size as the H7...test and retest the fit in the housing..once they can be inserted and the clip fastened your done with that portion..both bulbs will have to be trimmed..and dont forget to use gloves when touching bulbs...

Step 4...inserting the bulbs properly...the 3rd prong which was added to the stock harness (if aftermarket harness used its ok) should be the bottom...it should form an upside down triangle... -_- this is how the low beam bulb should be inserted..the high beam should be inserted the same way then turned to between 1 o'clock and 2'oclock (clockwise of course... 1:30 is where the bulb should be)the connector for high will have the 3rd prong facing between 7-8 o'clock(notice the metal shutter in the pic)

Step 5...cut and wire your harness VIA the diagram...you can solder if you would like...up to you...leave enough wire so the harness can be hidden behind the left mid fairing...

Step 6...connect the harness to each bulb...doesnt matter which since they will both be low and high...if you didnt remove your harness then each harness is only long enough to reach its respective bulb..

Step 7...enjoy your new look...both have low and high beams...the high beam might need some adjusting but 1:30 seems to be the right time for the bulb to be turned...maybe 1:15 or 1:45...not much difference

STEP 2

Step 3 (no pic of H7 since that is stock..look at your own..lol..j/k)

Step 5 (make sure u dont forget left is ground and right is positive)
if it doesnt work you have ground and positive backwards

This is a picture of a standard 5-pin relay

Now taking donations through Paypal for my efforts...j/k...can i get a sticky

I am not responsible for any damage that may come from (not) following these instructions (correctly). Do this mod at your own risk.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...all i ask is credit for the mod...please...thats all i want..i want to be famous...i want a sticky or i will petition...maybe not...how about this...kphybrid lights..or kphybrid dual headlights......j/k....hope this spreads like a wildfire....no more "pirate eyes"...no more "your lights out"..honda's can be cool too....lol...:icon_lol:

· Registered
587 Posts
thanks kp. i'll definitely be doing this soon. i want to bytch-slap the idiots who tell me i have a light out.

2 things:
#1 - typo on "118 gauge wires" should be "18 gauge..." Even though anybody who doesn't realize that this is what you meant probably shouldn't be doing this mod, I just wanted to help make it complete.
#2 - what you are referring to as a "5-pin connector" is a relay; just to make it easier for people to find the parts.

Overall, good job and thank you. I'll try to take some pictures when I do mine and get them to you and you can post them up if you want to.

· Registered
187 Posts
Wow... this would work way better than the resistor mod. I didn't even know there were dual filament bulbs. Thanks for the tips!

Btw... I found it funny that in the schematic you have the 'right harness' on the left side and the 'left harness' on the right side of the picture. Not really a big deal, but people just have to pay attention when doing their wiring.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a front view of the wiring...ie from the front of the bike..lol...oh well..i guess u can look at it in a mirror...heh..ppl will figure it out i guess..if not then the whole "hey u have a light out" would actually be warranted :icon_lol:

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i believe the harness for the H4 is 14 gauge and the 5-pin relay is also 14 gauge. i ordered the parts on ebay. most parts store only carry the 4-pin switch and radio shack don't carry 5- pin "car" relays. the stock H7 bulbs will not be used. the H4 bulbs replace the stock ones. they look very similar except the fact that the base is slightly larger and therefore needs to be trimmed. you can keep the stock bulbs if you want as spares. if you use the stock bulbs the entire high beam reflector will be lit since there is no metal deflector in the stock bulbs. reference the bulb picture. that picture also shows only one bulb per housing. the bulb is dual filament and not dual "bulbed"

· Registered
134 Posts
i believe the harness for the H4 is 14 gauge and the 5-pin relay is also 14 gauge. i ordered the parts on ebay. most parts store only carry the 4-pin switch and radio shack don't carry 5- pin "car" relays. the stock H7 bulbs will not be used. the H4 bulbs replace the stock ones. they look very similar except the fact that the base is slightly larger and therefore needs to be trimmed. you can keep the stock bulbs if you want as spares. if you use the stock bulbs the entire high beam reflector will be lit since there is no metal deflector in the stock bulbs. reference the bulb picture. that picture also shows only one bulb per housing. the bulb is dual filament and not dual "bulbed"
thanks for all the clarification :toothy4:

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this will work for all years..it even works for other makes as well..as long as you have two headlights thats all...and the wiring schematics of course...wire colors are not indicated on the diagram for the mere fact that there is a ground and a positive...pretty straight forward..if it doesnt work then the wires are backwards...check with a diagram if you really want to know which is ground and positive..

· Registered
587 Posts
i did mine yesterday and took a few pics and have a few tips. i'll add a better post when i get a minute.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes u can...just make sure u have bi-xenon H4 HID's...u will still have to trim the base to fit...bi-xenon will have the shutter on the bulb whereas the halogen high beam HID will have a tiny secondary bulb on the base of the hid bulb...this will give the same beam as a standard high beam switch on headlight..the shutter is what makes the beam not point up...again..make sure it is bi-xenon H4

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.