Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
After taking the first picture, I realized the axle screw is loose. Tighten it right way. Oh boy, I do not wanna imagine the front wheels takes off on me. :drunken_s

·
Whoring Is What I Do
5,879 Posts
Hm i dont have a service manual but now ive got the torque specifications now,thanks!

·
Registered
479 Posts
you need a large hex key, i think 19mm. That's what it was on my R1, i've yet to take off the wheel on the rr.

Don't need one on this bike. Just slide the axle out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
quick note
the manual talks about using a feeler gauge to check clerance between caliper body and rotor.

anyone's been doing this or just eye ballin ?

thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
Is your front axle - left side absolutely flush with the frame ?
I re-installed my front wheel and the left side is out maybe 1/2mm...I torqued everything in correct order.

does anyone else have this ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here's a quick question. If you do the install in the order that Sete wrote (same as the manual, BTW), how do you hold the axle still while you tighten the axle bolt? It would make more sense to me to tighten the left side pinch bolts, then the axle bolt, then the right pinch bolts. In fact, the owners manual says left pinch bolts, axle bolt, calipers, bounce, then right pinch bolts.

Thanks,
I had this problem as well. I thought about doing what you said and tighten the right side pinch bolts before the axle bolt. I ended up sticking a 1/2" drive ratchet end inside the axle since I dont have a 19mm hex either. It held it good enough to torque 44 ft/lb. The next time I'll see about finding a hex wrench, but I got by doing what I did.

To the one who mentioned the axle sticking out 1/2mm or so past the frame on the left side, mine also did this no matter how hard I seemed to tap it with a mallet. After going on a ride it is now completely flush, who knows...

I do have a question for 07+ owners, are your front wheel collars the same on both sides? Mine appear exactly the same so I didn't bother worrying about which side is which.

·
Registered
203 Posts
when u go to tighten the nut up would the hex side spin
Read what I said above in post #48. It will but since I didn't have a hex that big I used the end of a 1/2" drive ratchet which kept it from turning. If you wanted to you could also tighten the right side pinch bolts to keep it from turning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the writeup!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great thread-- thanks!

Took awhile to get the axle lined up when I put the wheel back on-- had to have my kids help tell me which way to move the tire while I tapped the axle from the other side.

Is there a better way, or one-man method?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the how to.. Successfully removed front and rear with help from your post as well as asking a million questions.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts