Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking to go to trackday. Since I do not own a truck or SUV with trailer, I am thinking of renting from U haul ?
I live in NYC Queens area, the closest track I found online is 180 miles away from my place.
I am wondering have anyone done that before ? renting a small truck with trailer and go to trackday ? how much it may cost me ?
can a truck with trailer fit 2 sport bikes with no problem ?

free feel to share your thought :)

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I've rented the UHaul trailer before, it's affordable and works great. You can fit two sport bikes, no problem. As far as cost goes, I remember the trailer was like $15/day. Where you may run into a costly bill is with the truck rental, try and find a company that will give you unlimited mileage.

Last time I checked with my local rental companies, they didn't have anything with hitches. Worse come to worse just rent a pick up truck with an 8ft box. You can still fit two bikes and all your gear, etc.

Good luck and have fun when you get out there.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Which trackday/organization are you planning to go with? I ride w/ ACE and know a few people who do ride shares.

I have brought people to/from track as well. Let me know.

·
BOTM Winner 07/14
996 Posts
I see people at the track with U-Haul trailers all the time. You don't need a very big one to haul a bike. If you plan on doing multiple days I recommend buying a cheap trailer from Harbor Freight or similar supplier. You can find very light (easy to tow) and inexpensive models. However, be advised they are not great for durablitiy.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'm in a similar dilemma and was thinking of renting a utility van instead. I'd have to figure out a ramp system but it's pretty low to the ground so shouldn't be a big problem. They're cheap to rent and you wouldn't have to tow a trailer.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
How much is it to rent a UHaul trailer for what you intend to do?

I bought a little trailer from tractor supply for a little over $300 and its been fantastic.

Ive towed my bike all over the country on it. Multiple TD's in the SE and back and forth from WY, GA, NY, TX, TN, WA and back again.

Its served me very well.

It may be cheaper/ easier to rent a truck that you can put the bike into.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only closest track from NYC i see is NYST New York Safety Track. but it is still 180 miles away from me. i think uhaul is expensive for $1.59 per miles if I rent and drive it there, so it will be 360 miles for a round trip. about $600 ? I guess i will have to rent somewhere with unlimited miles

if a trailer is only $300 , i think i will just get one for now, and keep looking to rent a unlimited miles truck/van with a trailer hitch in the back ?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Forgot to mention that all the towing my trailers done, its been pulled by an '06 Element.

Dont hate!

I put my MC inside of it once. Worked great.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Before you go buy anything, there are lots of people in NYC/L.I. area that can give you and your bike a ride. All you do is chip in for gas and tolls.

What kind of car do you currently own? That will tell you what kind of trailer you want to get. Do you have a hitch and receiver on it? Also if you get a Habor Freight, do you have the space to store it?

Harbor Freight Labor Day coupons should be coming out soon, so they sometimes have 25% off. I'd use that on the 1,200 lb. folding trailer. With some plywood, you should have everything setup for less than $300.

I'd recommend NJMP over NYST just for the track conditions. Run off room, etc. Much safer/enjoyable track.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Evo IX no hitch and not sure if i can install one on it. If I get a trailer, i think i would just leave it on backyard , not necessary need to keep inside garage ?
i think i can cut the cost by owning a trailer and only rent a truck with unlimited milage ?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
It can tow!

Renting a pickup truck and putting the bike in the bed is quite expensive. It works but there are better solutions.

The best solution, as of now, is for you to get talking with local track riders and getting a ride with someone. This gets you networking with other riders who can help with getting you set up with a transportation solution that meets your needs.

Renting a uHaul trailer is easy and pretty cheap. The larger uHaul trailers are pretty heavy though, and I'm not sure hauling more than one bike with your Evo would be wise. The simple Haulmaster style trailers are much lighter, and hauling two sportbikes would probably be no problem on those. Storage of the trailer is usually the biggest issue of dealing with owning a trailer; I have one that folds and stands up which is nice.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If I've seen a 350z tow. An Evo with it's AWD can def tow. Pop that rear bumper off mount the hitch. Go do your track day. Go home take the hitch off put bumper back on. I want an Evo IX so bad lol my dream car but I just got a Civic Si, G35 and my bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
135 Posts
Skip the trAiler rental. Rent a utility van, like a Ford econoline from Enterprise. The bike fits inside. A buddy of mine always rents one to take his Ducati to the track. It's less hassle than a trailer and tow vehicle. You'll need a small ramp and assistant to get the bike into the cargo van.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
seems like price for renting cargo van from Enterprise is doable . should be within $350 rental. my concern is pushing up and down 2 bikes on a ramp may be difficult. I have seems many people drop their bike when doing that on youtube ...

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
For a while, loading and unloading bikes was the most stressful part of my trackday - not the riding itself, haha. When you get enough experience pushing bikes around it becomes quite easy, but I have dropped my bike a few times early on. Having a helper is hugely recommended, it permits you to go slower and concentrate on steering while they provide most of the pushing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts