Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This how to primarily follows Demented's How To: Opening up 07-08 stock air intake
I decided to remake this because his pictures were gone, and people were wanting some pictures (including myself), so I did it and took some pictures while I was at it.

*Disclaimer* I can't be held responsible for any damage/injuries you may cause to the bike or yourself. Follow these directions at your own risk.

Ok, to begin with, I'm assuming you already know how to take off your plastics, and that you have already removed your lower/mid/upper plastics as well as the front plastic/third eye. Also, to make things a lil easier, take off these lil black plastic pieces as well:

Next, unplug the black and the white connectors on the left side, and the large connector and small connector on the right side, as shown in the picture.

Now remove the hex screw on the back of the fairing stay on each side of the air intake.

Next, remove the headlights, but undoing the bottom screw and the top screw for each one. After the headlights have been removed, grab an 8mm socket to remove the 4 bolts on the front of the stay. Once these are removed, your stay/gauge cluster will come off as one piece (lift it up off the intake).

Now time for the air intake itself. On each side, there are to 10mm bolts that hold the intake on. Bend the metal clips back so you can undo these bolts (you'll have to turn the handlebars to get the forks out of the way). Once you've taken these 4 bolts out (again, 2 on each side), straighten the handlebars so you can pull the intake straight out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that you have the intake out, you can see all the junk that is inside of it. I used a long flathead screwdriver and a hammer to get most of it out. A dremel comes in handy as well, especially for finishing off little bits here and there. Basically, you want to take out all the fin thingies, as well as the big rounded part towards the front of the intake (the thing with the 2 holes on the back side of it). Be careful and take your time, as I'm sure you don't want to punch a hole through your intake.

I started from the back end using my nice long screwdriver that was able to reach almost all the way through the intake. I just carefully place the screwdriver where I wanted to start breaking stuff, and carefully hit it with the hammer. I noticed that fins and whatnot aren't glued or anything to the intake, but they're sitting inside channels and grooves, so after a point they come out easily.

The front rounded part was the most annoying. I found it a little easier to get the edges of the rounded part out after I started breaking off the little channel it was sitting in. For the most part, the channel broke off flush with the intake. Just keep working at it until you've pretty much cleared it out.

Once I got everything busted out, I used the dremel to help smooth things up. I mostly just used the barrel sandpaper attachment. Some of the spots are annoying to get at, just do the best you can to clean things up in there. Once you're finished with that, make sure you get all the loose junk and bits of fiberglass out, as whatever remains will get sucked up to the filter.

The last thing I did was to break off the two pieces on the bottom of the fairing stay that stick down inside the intake. They break off quite easily, I just pushed where the arrow is towards the outside of the stay. Ideally, you'd probably want to make some kind of block off to put in the intake, but the stay should still "seal" up with the intake, as the pieces you're breaking off aren't what actually make the "seal". (I didn't make the block offs cuz I didn't have materials too. At some point I'll prolly get back in there and do them though.)

Now just put everything back together. Bolt the intake back up, and bend the metal clips back over the bolts. Put the stay back on the intake, put the headlights back on, reconnect the electrical connectors, and put your plastics back on. All done!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me know if I missed anything, this is my first how to. Hopefully the pics will help those that have been wanting to do this but haven't been sure where to start!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good write up man.
Also for those that don't have a dremel, you can pull the intake apart by pushing something like a screw driver through the center line on the intake & pull out all the air restrictors

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good write up man.
Also for those that don't have a dremel, you can pull the intake apart by pushing something like a screw driver through the center line on the intake & pull out all the air restrictors
Lol, that prolly would've been a lot easier for the big rounded part. I noticed that it'd come apart down the middle, but just wasn't sure if it'd be a bad thing to actually separate it, so I didn't really want to try.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Either way works fine really. I just had an extra intake from my last wreck so I decided to experiment with it to see if I could save some time by splitting it in half(cause breaking up all the fiberglass restrictors is a pain)

·
Registered
141 Posts
thanks for finally redoing this thread. dose the bike require any mods after this?... like mapping and did you notice any changes?
(so far my bike is bone stock engine mod wise)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure it'd be more beneficial to tune it w/ a power commander or something, as would be the case with any performance mod. I don't have one right now though. And, I actually haven't had a chance to ride yet since doing this mod, it's been rain/snow all weekend :(. From what I've read though there's a lil more pull in the lower rpms, like between 3500-4500 or something, where stock it kinda lags. I'd imagine improved top end as well, as the air can flow straight throw. There's a link in the original thread from Demented where he tested the amount of airflow before and after.

As for 03-06 intake, I'm not sure on those. It'd be the same principle in gutting the intake(s) for the 03-06, I'm just not sure what the insides of those intakes are actually like, or if they have a bunch of junk to remove.

·
Registered
55 Posts
a quick question,
any chance that those baffles inside the air intake are there to prevent water from being sucked into the air filter/engine when it's raining?
Seeing as the intake is basically a large funnel on the front of the bike, I'd say significant amounts of water would enter when riding in heavy rain.
And... once your stock paper filter is soaked with water it's pretty much stuffed..

·
Registered
476 Posts
a quick question,
any chance that those baffles inside the air intake are there to prevent water from being sucked into the air filter/engine when it's raining?
Seeing as the intake is basically a large funnel on the front of the bike, I'd say significant amounts of water would enter when riding in heavy rain.
And... once your stock paper filter is soaked with water it's pretty much stuffed..

oo man, never thought of that..... thats probly why all that stuff was there to begin with. o well, i dont ride in the rain anyways

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Personally, I don't think it'd be too big of an issue with water getting in. Most heavier drops will fall before getting sucked all the way back to the filter, and lighter, more misty droplets would prolly make it past regardless. Besides, I think it'd really only be an issue at higher rpms at faster (like, 100+ mph) speeds, and racing intakes have nothing in them. If you're worried about the water, either don't ride in the rain, or replace the stock filter w/ an aftermarket one like BMC or K&N. I can't say for sure how it would really play out w/ water, but personally I'm not worried about it, I don't think it's an issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im probably going to do this mod in the next couple of days, but honestly are there any opinions that illustrate the downsides?
Like bugs, turbulence, water etc.?
Just wondering thats all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I had a look for myself today and it looks like it would flow pretty good standard. Im gonna trust Honda with their design on this one and leave it alone.

And I just thought of something else: Ever stuck your head out the window of a car at high speed? Did you find it a little hard to breathe?

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
first thanks for redoing this :thumbup:

second in the last one that was done there was a piece that he made and put in the intake anybody know wat im talking about? i didnt do this then cuz i didnt wana screw anything up and now that u made it look so easy im gna do this today...

but im confused on wat the piece was that he made is for(it was something to cover a holes or something on that line)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you take off your stay you'll notice that it has two plastic pieces on the bottom that stick into the intake. Demented made block-offs for those holes. It's the holes in the pic on the right, at the top:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts