Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
So I had a look for myself today and it looks like it would flow pretty good standard. Im gonna trust Honda with their design on this one and leave it alone.

And I just thought of something else: Ever stuck your head out the window of a car at high speed? Did you find it a little hard to breathe?

ya ur right about being hard to breath when sticking your head out the window at high speeds, but thats because your taking in waay too much air in then what the lungs need. engines dont work like that, more air the better. like what a turbo or supercharger is, its forced induction. forcing more air in therefore making more power

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Also, think of aerodynamics. It may be hard to breath through your nose when you stick your head out the window at high speeds, but if you open you mouth wide it's a different story. Intakes on bikes are designed to be at a point where more air will be forced into them, rather than skipping across the bottom of you nostrils.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have heard some great results from this mod like reducing the lag/delay in te lowest rpm's, but alas I am to hesitant to do this to my mint 08 just yet.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Thank you very much I actually looked up his post and figured it out it's a work in progress right now hopefully I get time to finish it tonight or tomorrow

When you take off your stay you'll notice that it has two plastic pieces on the bottom that stick into the intake. Demented made block-offs for those holes. It's the holes in the pic on the right, at the top:

·
Registered
476 Posts
ok i finally got my bike on the road and noticed on low rpm when i give it full throttle it makes like a growling/ sort of like v-tech on a honda/ rattleing sound. but only on low rpm's when you give it full throtle. is this normal????

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had my first ride with the gutted intake. Much less engine breaking. Slightly more throaty sound. Slightly smoother in the lower RPM. Not really any power difference just a tad smoother. Really like the difference in the engine breaking!

·
August 2015 BOTM Winner / Domo
642 Posts
Just wanted to comment on how ppl are noticing that their bike is more throatier. the reason for this is because the intake restrictive panels and air pocket holes are designed to be a resonator like an exhaust system or air intake systems of some cars. once you do this mod the resonator inside the ram air intake is removed hence the throatier sound and yes more air :)..its no different then when ppl put Cold air intakes/ intakes in their cars.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did this mod to my '07 after reading Demented's thread a couple of years ago. I had a Leo Vince can with no restrictor on before I did the mod. I had been unhappy with the performance of my bike and can point to a couple of rides with a passenger where I felt like a Moped or a 250 could blow me away. After the mod was done I also noticed the increased sound but I also felt the seat of the pants performance increase! It pulls harder in each gear up to 5th now. No more embarrassment with a lack of power while riding with a passenger anymore!. All I can figure out is that having a performance can combined with the increased volume of air from the now racing style intake has increased HP. I am running a stock air filter and no PC. My MPG has not changed. I don't have any dyno results to prove my theory but that Hayabusa that tried to pull away from me on the freeway a few months after doing this Mod was pretty surprised that I was able to keep up with him :) IMO this is hands down a must do mod for any CBR owner. My bike now feels like a bike I would not be embarrassed to take to the track.

So to recap, If you have done the mod and are disappointed that sound is the only difference you notice try adding an aftermarket can.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey is there any sound difference? I know when my friend gutted out his triumph street triple R intake, every time you gun it, it sounded like his bike was barked... lol..

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I did this mod to my '07 after reading Demented's thread a couple of years ago. I had a Leo Vince can with no restrictor on before I did the mod. I had been unhappy with the performance of my bike and can point to a couple of rides with a passenger where I felt like a Moped or a 250 could blow me away. After the mod was done I also noticed the increased sound but I also felt the seat of the pants performance increase! It pulls harder in each gear up to 5th now. No more embarrassment with a lack of power while riding with a passenger anymore!. All I can figure out is that having a performance can combined with the increased volume of air from the now racing style intake has increased HP. I am running a stock air filter and no PC. My MPG has not changed. I don't have any dyno results to prove my theory but that Hayabusa that tried to pull away from me on the freeway a few months after doing this Mod was pretty surprised that I was able to keep up with him :) IMO this is hands down a must do mod for any CBR owner. My bike now feels like a bike I would not be embarrassed to take to the track.

So to recap, If you have done the mod and are disappointed that sound is the only difference you notice try adding an aftermarket can.

^ so first you were dissapointed with your power... and after gutting the intake (which will add maybe at best 2-4 hp max in the midrange) you are now almost Hyabusa-fast .

before the 4hp increase in the midrange you were embarrassed to take your bike to the track, and now you arent?

Sorry dude - I think the seat of your pants increase in performance is all in your head.. 2-4 hp is almost un noticable when these bikes can accellerate from 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds stock.

gutting the intake, adding a full exhaust, BMC race filter, power commander, etc... will add maybe 4-6 hp at the top end make the bike accellerate from 0 to 60 in about 2.75 seconds (not too much different) when doing all these mods what is most noticable is smooth throttle response - not more power)

·
Registered
177 Posts
^ so first you were dissapointed with your power... and after gutting the intake (which will add maybe at best 2-4 hp max in the midrange) you are now almost Hyabusa-fast .

before the 4hp increase in the midrange you were embarrassed to take your bike to the track, and now you arent?

Sorry dude - I think the seat of your pants increase in performance is all in your head.. 2-4 hp is almost un noticable when these bikes can accellerate from 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds stock.

gutting the intake, adding a full exhaust, BMC race filter, power commander, etc... will add maybe 4-6 hp at the top end make the bike accellerate from 0 to 60 in about 2.75 seconds (not too much different) when doing all these mods what is most noticable is smooth throttle response - not more power)
Have you done it to yours? I stand by my statements and the mod costs $0 to do (or buy a $400 Ten Kate Intake as the racing teams do). Nothing to lose.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Ya...... I've done it to mine..... I stand by my statement knowing yours is largely exaggerated!

Mod List:

Street Mods:
-ASV levers
-red mids, subframe, exhaust cover
-OES frame sliders
-OES fork Sliders
-OES swing arm spools
-Dunlop Q2's
-Renthal Grips (Black)
-Techspec grips
-Negative 1, plus 2 sprockets (Superlight Rear)
-520 DID gold chain
-Speedo healer
-Powder coated rearsets and passenger pegs
-Front reservoir cover (600RR)
-Euro Key Red
-Heat sheeld delete
-Tripage Adjustable FE
-Repsol 100% synthetic racing oil
-Hotbodies flush mount indicators
-Side reflector delete
-Solo seat cowl (honda OEM)
-Akrapovic Muffler are mid pipe
-CF reservoir bracket
-CF rear hugger
-CF chain guard
-CF sprocket cover
-CF headlight side covers
-Woodcraft stator cover
-Woodcraft Clutch Cover
-Woodcraft Clipons
-GP Shift pattern
-Healtech Gear indicator
-DDM 55w 6000k HID's
-Low Beam Switch
-Galfer steel braided brake lines (front and rear)
-EBC HH sintered pads (front and rear)
-Rear brake resevoir delete
-T-Win intigrated brake light
-Shaved rear reservoir bracket
-Sato Racing Hooks
-Power Commander V
-BMC Air Filter
-Pair system removed
-Gutted Intake
-Custom Tune by MD motorcycles
-Carrozzeria V-Track rims
-Galfer wave rotors front and back
-Gilles Chain Adjusters
-Cox Rad Guard
-Arrow Headers
-PC Auto Tune
Updated again:

Track Only Mods:
-Optimal race plastics S(cratched and Scuffed from 60mph crash)
-Dzus fastiners (8)
-CF mirror block off plates
-Duck Tape LOL
-Bridgestone R10's
-Red reflective rim tape (on OEM rims)[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
301 Posts
I gutted mine as well a few years back when demented first posted the thread and it wasn't a crazy increase in hp, even after a dyno tune. Certainly not enough to hang with a Busa from a 75mph roll:crackup:. The Ten Kate ram air intake like sincalirider said is better because it has no bends in its structure. Air likes to take the path of least resistance.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did the lazy version last week when doing the led color swap. Took out the flat pieces only. Today my tach stopped working so I had to go back and take the front end apart. While I was there I took the front round part out. Definitely the trickiest part but waiting to see if there is a bigger intake noise.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i noticed alittle noise in mine i took out those round pieces stickin into it and made sheetmetal pieces to cover up the hole. i think on my build page i have pics

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm calling b.s. on the hanging with a busa too! I have a ZX14 and a 600RR and they aren't even close.

On topic: I'm gonna have to do this mod soon, It's the first I've heard of this(new to the 600RR).

21 - 40 of 81 Posts