Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was an idiot a couple weeks ago and was trying to rush through my fairing install (bad idea with aftermarket ones that need to be pushed and pulled into place)..as i was trying to screw in the rear mounting bolt for the lower right side cowl (clutch side) i managed to cross thead the mount. The threads/mount are on the frame, and I cannot figure out which heli coil kit I need. I'm pretty sure that just the first few threads are messed up, so i'm not even sure that a helicoil is the best option either.. advice?

The bandit diagrams list the bolt as "SCREW (6X14) (6X16),A AC 2A 3AC"

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would get a tap and run it Down the threads to clean them up. You may be able to borrow one from a shop or just buy one. Shouldn't have to go as far as a helicoil unless you really f'ed the threads.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The helicoil sets have the right size drill bit and tap. I'm sure their website has some charts.

Sent from deep in the swamps of Louisiana.

·
Registered
324 Posts
how do I know what size tap I need? I've never done anything like this before so any advice would be welcome lol
If you have a bolt that needs to thread into the hole take that with you and a worker should be able to get you the right tap. They make specific taps to clean up threads as well as taps to make new threads.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
its a M6x 1.00 pitch needed for the tap...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Easy fix with a tap my friend. It is probably a 6x1.25. Like Rayray said, take the bolt with you and they will hook you up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts