Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't know who came up with this whole 05-06 spacer bullsh*t. It simply isn't true.
All spacers, 03 thru 06 are identical.
The only difference between the 03-04 and 05-06 wheel assembly is the front axle, though they are still interchangeable.
I looked on 5 different online microfiche sites and all but bikebandit list the exact same part numbers. Bikebandit does not list Honda part numbers on their site, they list bike bandit part #'s and the dipshits over there assigned different part #'s to the exact same parts. I ordered both and they came with the bikebandit stickers, with different #'s, but the Honda part #'s are identical on each package.
You DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT need a different spacer set.
If your wheel aint lining up, you are doing something wrong. There is a lot more to aligning a front wheel than simply slapping in the axle and tightening up the bolts. There is a strict process that needs to be followed to get everything lined up correctly.
THAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUU
Lol. I have seen this first hand and I can honestly say, this is a myth. All part numbers are identical and from what I have seen on an 05 and 06 swap, all spacers worked accordingly.

And yes, bike bandit's part numbers are a PITA.

·
Registered
783 Posts
For those having clearance/alignment issues, follow these instructions on lining up your front wheel.

1. Make sure the fork slider axle bearing surfaces and axle are free of burrs and nicks.

2. Lightly coat the axle with bearing grease and set it aside until installation.

3. Lubricate the seal lips with waterproof grease.

4. Install both spacers in original positions.

5. Install front wheel between the fork sliders with the wheel arrow pointing forward.

6. Install the axle from the left side and push it through until it bottoms.

7. Install the axle bolt and tighten finger tight.

8. Hold the axle and tighten front axle bolt to 44 ft.-.lb

9. Tighten right axle pinch bolts to 25ft.-.lb

10. Make sure the right and left spacers are correctly in place.

11. Install the right and left brake calipers. Spin the front wheel and apply the front brake to reposition the brake pads in both calipers.

12. Remove from the stand from so both wheels are on the ground. Then apply the front brake and pump the fork several times to seat the axle.

13. Tighten the left side axle pinch bolts to 25 ft.-.lb

14. Check the brake disc clearance as follows:

a) Insert a 0.7mm (0.028") feeler gauge between the side of each brake disc and fork axle bracket slider.

b) The feeler gauge should pass through the gap easily.
If the clearance is too small, loosen up the axle pinch bolts and twist the sliders by hand to obtain the correct clearance. When the clearance is correct, tighten the axle pinch bolts as specified in steps 9 and 13, then recheck the clearance. Remove the feeler gauge.

·
Registered
783 Posts
03-04 and 05-06 axles are slightly different on the end with the head on (part without the thread), but they are interchangeable. 05-06 sits flush with the side of the fork, and is a hex bolt style, while the 03-04 does not fit flush and isn't a hex design.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been looking everywhere my 05 forks are bent!! I've located a set of 07 forks with calipers, specs show they are the same travel and rotor size! But my big question is if my 05 axel will fit the 07 forks or will or can I change the lower mounting brackets on the forks? If anyone has put 07 forks on a 05/06 please let me know!
Billy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Will this conversion work the same swapping my 03 forks for 07 forks instead of 05-06 forks? Does this still hold true going to 07 forks?

These parts from your 03-04 can be reused:
*03-04 Wheel & Rotors
*03-04 Controls (throttle, starter module, high/low beam switch, etc)
*03-04 Neck bearings, bearing races, and dust covers (internals of neck)
*03-04 Axle
*03-04 Brake Master Cylinder
*03-04 Ram Air Covers (will need to be trimmed)

Please let me know. Thanks,

·
Registered
783 Posts
Will this conversion work the same swapping my 03 forks for 07 forks instead of 05-06 forks? Does this still hold true going to 07 forks?

These parts from your 03-04 can be reused:
*03-04 Wheel & Rotors
*03-04 Controls (throttle, starter module, high/low beam switch, etc)
*03-04 Neck bearings, bearing races, and dust covers (internals of neck)
*03-04 Axle
*03-04 Brake Master Cylinder
*03-04 Ram Air Covers (will need to be trimmed)

Please let me know. Thanks,
The 03 thru 06 use identical parts on the wheel and spacers. I check and cross referenced the 07 wheel and the part #'s are totally different for the wheel, axle and spacers.
I'd still be willing to bet it would work though, as the fork ends where the wheel mounts are also identical 05 thru 08.

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks man! I guess I will find out the hard way. I'm going to purchase a set of (08 actually) forks and I will find out what works and what doesn't. Once finished i will let everyone know how it went. Thanks!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Good luck and definitely let us know when you get it done.
I recently put 06's on my 04 and I'm really happy with the result.

·
Registered
125 Posts
thanks a pad load man, really helped me out!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did it work?

thanks man! I guess I will find out the hard way. I'm going to purchase a set of (08 actually) forks and I will find out what works and what doesn't. Once finished i will let everyone know how it went. Thanks!
Were you able to make it work with the 08 cbr600rr parts?

·
Registered
464 Posts
thanks a lot for this thread. Just did this the past weekend and it worked out perfect! Now to mount the front wheel back on...

quick question...the grease we coat the axle with...is it ok if it's the same waterproof grease that we use for the seal lips/spacers?

·
Registered
783 Posts
thanks a lot for this thread. Just did this the past weekend and it worked out perfect! Now to mount the front wheel back on...

quick question...the grease we coat the axle with...is it ok if it's the same waterproof grease that we use for the seal lips/spacers?
Yes, sir. Grease is just to aid the sliding through of the axle.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts