Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will show you how to turn on your bike without a key (hotwire) by simply turn on the kill switch. Great for TRACK bikes, not so much street bikes. Heres how I rigged mine. Use caution doing this if you park outside or in public places. Dont steal bikes.

First, take off the right side fairings to get to the ignition plugs. (brown and grey connectors)

From the grey plug, take the white w/ black strip wire and connect it to the SOLID red wire from the brown plug.

From the grey plug, take the SOLID black wire and connect it to the red w/ black stripe wire from the brown plug.

I suggest soldering to make sure there is ZERO play in the connection of wires. I had a tiny bit of play in my wires and it would shut off the bike instantly. Once you do this, test it out before moving by wiggling the wires a bit

·
Registered
222 Posts
awesome thanks again brother!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wiring in 07+ the same as 05/06? This was something ive thought of doing to my track bike, but just haven't yet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
That I am not sure of. I dont have an 05/06 in my riding group to compare.

I dont see any cons to this mod (other than the whole easier to steal thing)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
That I am not sure of. I dont have an 05/06 in my riding group to compare.

I dont see any cons to this mod (other than the whole easier to steal thing)
Roger. I don't think my RR book has an 07+ wire plan, but ill look when I get home.

I def wouldn't do this to my street bike. Carrying that huge, heavy, bulky key isn't hard....

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would never do this to my street bike either. This is my track bike, Dude didnt know where he left the key so I had to hotwire it and pick the lock on the gas tank. I still need to rig up a teather if I were to go down.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Also, by my wiring diagram, the color wires are the same, but the connector colors aren't. We don't have a brown one. Your grey one is black and your brown is grey. According to my diagram at least. I'll verify on my bike later....when I go fiddle again. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1361770220.680928.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1361770242.793371.jpg

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't done anything apart from what is in this write up. Thats just something Im doing in the future.

·
Registered
932 Posts
This bikes easy enough to steal. Why do this? I was fixing my ignition replacing it with an OEM (had a chinese knockoff in it) and i twisted the wires and drove off lol.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
291 Posts
This bikes easy enough to steal. Why do this? I was fixing my ignition replacing it with an OEM (had a chinese knockoff in it) and i twisted the wires and drove off lol.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Motorcycle.com Free App
It's not for street bikes, (unless you like having your bike stolen) its for track bikes. Means you don't need to worry about carrying or losing keys on the way. Switch and go!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
is this a really cheap alternative to the expensive problem of replacing a lost key?

i would not do this, as my insurance would freak , but im sure its beneficial to the track bike guys

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is the easiest "keyless" mod I've seen. Can you then completely remove the ignition from the triple clamp once you do this? I would love to also save the 1.5 lbs off my bike.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,856 Posts
This is a terrible idea

Your killswitch it absolutely not rated to carry the current required to run the bike. Look at the difference in wire gauge!

Every time you turn your bike on with the killswitch connected this way you will burn the contacts slightly. Eventually it will fail and when it does youre not left with a simple road side solution

It's best to take the two ignition wires and run them to a higher current rated toggle switch and locate that switch somewhere else.

It's not worth ruining a track day just so you can have a killswitch to run your bike

I should also add that the wire that you are tapping the ignition wire into feeds the ignition coils and BAS. By putting a constant 12v on it means you are continuously powering these devices. This should not be the case.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts