Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i've been seeing a lot of thread asking about resistors wiring and where to mount them so i decided to take a few pics and make a diagram of what i did to mine, there are of course other ways to do this but this is my method and im just sharing it with ya

fyi, i have hotbodies front flushmount with clear alternatives integrated taillight

im using 20 watts 8 ohms resistors from radio shack

i wired the resistor to two 16 guage (or 18 i dont remember) wires...what i did was i bent the resistor's wire up and over the resistor (this way the resistor's wire is not prone to breakage because it is really flimsy....and if it does...thats another 2 bucks and a trip to radio shack), solder (or twist) the 16/18 guage wire onto it and wrap the whole thing with a few layers of electrical tape...pictured below

here is how i mount my resistor
it is attached to the inside of my fairings, held on by a 1 inch adhesive pad that have holes for zip ties...not sure what its called, but i got it at home depot....the resistor does not touch the fairing directly, so im not worry about heat issues...the electrical tape also helps...and i never leave the signal on for a long long long period of time anyway

heres all the stuff i used (not pictured: electrical tape)

and heres a few pics of it on the bike, sorry if the pic sucks...im no photographer :p

good luck!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Nice little write-up. That should clear some things up.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This should deffinatly be a sticky instead of the current one. Nice job... O they also don't work if you hook it up to the running wire instead of the turn signal wire. lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Teg

Nice write up,

This'll help when my hotbodies come in. I also have the CA integrated tail light coming in as well... is that plug n play or does that require resistors to function properly as well? Appreciate the help. I might hit you up when the time comes to install these things.

®©

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
s295647 said:
what is the purpose of the resisitor
it slows down the blinking rate, since the LEDs uses less wattage than regular bulbs, the resistor draws more current, in a sense, act as if there were another bulb in the circuit...except for that it doesnt output light, if you were to put a 20watts bulb in the circuit instead of the resistor, it would do the same thing

its like if one of your car's turn signal bulb burn out, you'll notice your blinker will blink faster, if you replace it with a working light bulb, it'll return to normal

i suck at explaining stuff, so hopefully i made sense

carbon12 said:
Nice write up,

This'll help when my hotbodies come in. I also have the CA integrated tail light coming in as well... is that plug n play or does that require resistors to function properly as well? Appreciate the help. I might hit you up when the time comes to install these things.

®©
if you have CA tails and hotbodies fronts, you'll need the resistors, because if you don't it'll blink so fast you cant tell its blinking

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
So it don't hurt anything to run without resistors except a faster blinking rate correct?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CBR/LS1 said:
So it don't hurt anything to run without resistors except a faster blinking rate correct?
i dont think so, the only thing i could think of that might be affected is the signal module, but i dont know if fast blinking will do anything to it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you need resistors for each signal? I have short stalk mini cat eye signals at all four corners. I don't know who makes them. They are single bulb lights that I got off ebay. Any idea what type of resistor I need?

·
Premium Member
14,336 Posts
If it is a bulb you don't need a resistor.. LED lights need the resistor because they don't draw enough power to keep the flasher flashing at a normal rate..

·
Registered
7 Posts
My signals are bulbs. The blinkers are flashing at an uneven rate. They start off fine, then start blinking faster, then slow down, then fast again. Is there some other problem? Would resistors help? If so, what kind do I need? Or is there something else I can do to fix the problem.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts