Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
just did my oil change. awesome write up. only thing that didnt work for me was putting cardboard over the headers. i got oil all over them but i just let it burn off . no biggy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Great write-up and would have worked perfectly if my cap, plug and filter weren't safety wired. Ended up having to take the side off to get at the wiring. Guess its a good time to order my Watsens :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Good write up, I will have to do this soon. 1 up!!
Quick question though... Should I get my first service at the dealer or should I just do it myself? I was under the impression that the first service is the important one..

·
Registered
187 Posts
crush washer? i dont have one. i let the stealership do the first change, and then i did my second and third one. never saw a washer on the drain bolt.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I actually had my drain bolt leak from not putting a new crush washer in, but then i just tightened it down harder and now it doesn't leak. I did have it on tight the first time too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
gig,

The oil will drain faster if you crack the fill cap open.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ok, doing my first oil change now. The ******* oil filter is on so tight my cup style wrench attachment just slips off when i put as much force as possible on it. What the **** this is ridiculous. I'm trying to remove the lower right fairing but need to figure out how this front screw attachment works. Dammit.

Update: got the fairing off which gives me a little more room to work.. Still impossible to torque the filter off without the cup style attachment slipping off. Is there a better wrench out there?

Update: Got it done.

·
Registered
785 Posts
i have to do my first oil change in a month.

where can i get this crush washer? (can somebody direct link me so i can just order it online?)

also, i don't have a torque wrench ... i will have to get one in order to screw the drain plug back in right?

can anybody tell me the torque setting if they happen to know? (my manual is with my bike in another city in storage)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well this may not be the best answer scr1be but:

1. Nine times out of ten you can reuse the crush washer. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're bound and determined to replace it you can get one for less than a dollar from any Honda dealer. I'm not too sure on where you can buy one online but I'd guess that a Google search for CBR600 Crush Washer would get some results.

2. You don't need a torque wrench to reinstall a drain plug. A bike isn't any different from a car. Thread it in by hand as far as it'll go and then snug it up with a wrench. It only needs be tight enough to prevent leaking and backing out. Not that terribly tight.

Don't know if this helps you out any or not but that's how I change my oil and my bike hasn't exploded yet.

·
Registered
145 Posts
best sticky ever..did my oil change and removing the oil filter was a hassle. had to hammer a screwdriver to untwist it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Been there done that...... That's one reason why I use K&N oil filters on everything. They have that neat little 1" nut welded on to the end of the filter that makes changing them a snap.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I was gonna mike/spec my crush washer and buy like a handful but found my digital micrometer was finally in need a new battery ..

Also I just bought one of those big circular wrenches that goes over the whole filter :banghead: :banghead: should-a bought the one for the socket wrench

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check out the Fumoto oil valve. It's a ball valve that replaces the drain plug, and has a two-step opening action so it can't accidentally open. I have one on my car and it's awesome. Makes oil changes a tool-free affair (assuming your filter is hand-tight). No more hot oil all over your hand! The correct part # is F109 I believe (M12x1.5).

21 - 40 of 90 Posts