Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I just did my first oil change (by myself instead of the dealer) and it took me 2-3 hours...

I could not get the oil filter off...

Tried to stick a screwdriver through the damn thing, that didn't help - oil just dripped everywhere...

Finally decide to call it quits and bought a oil filter wrench - they didn't have the right fitting one so I bought a generic one that looks like a spider...

Finally, it came off after another 10 minutes of wrenching...WTF.

Nice writeup though :p

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just did my 5th (6th?) oil change on my 07. Gets easier every time. This time for tools I used one single 12mm stubby wrench. Filter removed/installed by hand. Makes a bit of a mess but that goes away quick on e you start it up. The very first was a [email protected]&$/rf&%*er though. Had to remove the fairings and damn near jackhammer the filter off.

·
Registered
319 Posts
any idea what side of the crush washer goes towards the engine? (i am guessing the rougher side but would like to be sure.. yup, anal like that)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you!!! This was exactly what I was looking for. Also, can you please tell me what kind of frame sliders those are because I have the same exact bike and I am trying to find some nice frame sliders like yours.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yea, This doesn't work with a k/n filter
Yes it does, you're doing it wrong bro. Done it a couple times.

In fact, it's significantly easier with the K&N filter than with an OEM filter because it's tough to fit a filter wrench in there for the OEM. But since K&N comes with the nut at the end, they make it easy to just grab a socket wrench and boom, it's off

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yes it does, you're doing it wrong bro. Done it a couple times.

In fact, it's significantly easier with the K&N filter than with an OEM filter because it's tough to fit a filter wrench in there for the OEM. But since K&N comes with the nut at the end, they make it easy to just grab a socket wrench and boom, it's off
Filter on too tight cuz bolt stripped

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
48 Posts
Excellent write up. I personally found I liked taking the fairing off more. More room to work and no fear of cracking the fairing or getting oil all over the inside of it. But followed the other steps. Thanks a lot. However, everyone be forewarned! I went to Cycle Gear and said I needed an oil filter wrench for my stock OEM filter. The guy confidently gave me the Stockton Universal Oil Filter Wrench and said it would work. It was a POS and didn't work for ****! It just kept slipping and wouldn't grab anything and I was so upset! I was luckily able to return it. But do not get that tool! Save yourself the pain! I ended up going to the Honda dealer up the street and bought the 65mm cup style wrench for $12. It was $12 for a one time use but who cares. I was just glad to get that damn filter off!
_________
2007 CBR600RR
Leo Vince SBK Oval Slip-on
Tripage IT
TST Industries FE
Competition Werkes flush mounts
JPR Shorty levers
Woodcraft frame sliders
717 Progrips

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for putting the time in to write this up! Had no problems with the first oil change following this write-up.

For any members in Canada I found a very hard plastic cup style wrench at Canadian tire and it worked perfectly for like $5.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Excellent write up. I personally found I liked taking the fairing off more. More room to work and no fear of cracking the fairing or getting oil all over the inside of it. But followed the other steps. Thanks a lot. However, everyone be forewarned! I went to Cycle Gear and said I needed an oil filter wrench for my stock OEM filter. The guy confidently gave me the Stockton Universal Oil Filter Wrench and said it would work. It was a POS and didn't work for ****! It just kept slipping and wouldn't grab anything and I was so upset! I was luckily able to return it. But do not get that tool! Save yourself the pain! I ended up going to the Honda dealer up the street and bought the 65mm cup style wrench for $12. It was $12 for a one time use but who cares. I was just glad to get that damn filter off!
_________
2007 CBR600RR
Leo Vince SBK Oval Slip-on
Tripage IT
TST Industries FE
Competition Werkes flush mounts
JPR Shorty levers
Woodcraft frame sliders
717 Progrips

I literally had to rip my OEM off couple of days ago. stupid thing was on there so tight lol

41 - 60 of 90 Posts