Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I dropped my 08 RR when I first got it doing a wheelie, I know I'm stupid. I decided to take a shot at painting the engine cover. Here is the damage.
Damage isn't THAT bad. However the ring from the small cap was scrapped so bad it was touching the larger cover. So I had to get the ring back. I used a dremmell with these write brushes to clean off all the scrapes and get the ring back.
Here it is all cleaned up ready for paint.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I then sanded the cover with some 220 sand paper all over the whole cover(I painted the entire thing)

after that I tapped off the area around the cover. I put 3 coats of paint on, then wet sanded the cover with 1000. Then put on the final coat. I used duplicolor high heat paint. There isn't a large selection of colors so I used the generic black color. It looks fairly similar to the stock color

here is the finished product

Let me know what you guys think???

Those marks in the second picture, thats just water from when I cleaned it off to take pictures.

Reactions: Rigel

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I was actually surprised how good it turned out. Next to paint is my Shoei, Once my new helmet arrives.

Any questions please ask

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nice job man. I did something similar to Kawi. I ordered a new Stator for the cbr though as there are some deap gouges in it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
nice work! would not be able to tell if you werent looking for it. great fix!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow nice work.

did you do that all while it was still on the bike?
Yes, I never took the cover off. I just did a really good tape job around the cover. Then used larger tape to cover for over spray. Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I got some scratches too. similiar situation. but a new cover costs 150 bucks, might be cheap enough to buy instead of paint. Unless OEM paint matching can be achieved I might just get a new cover.

·
Registered
378 Posts
did you take off the fairings too?

how did you get around the spring for the clutch on the cover? did you spray that too?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
did you take off the fairings too?

how did you get around the spring for the clutch on the cover? did you spray that too?
I sprayed the spring too. It hasn't had any affect on the bike. I didn't think it would. I didn't take the fairings off either, but you could it only take a minute to do. Probably result in a better tape job. I should have taken them off now that I think about it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got some scratches too. similiar situation. but a new cover costs 150 bucks, might be cheap enough to buy instead of paint. Unless OEM paint matching can be achieved I might just get a new cover.
You also need to buy the gasket for the engine cover and everything as well. I paid less than 25 dollars total to fix mine. I borrowed the dremmel from a friend and the paint was less than 10 bills. And sand paper is dirt cheap. I already had most of it since I paint fairly often. Just my .02 cents. Doesn't make sense to pay 150 dollars for something I can fix for 20 dollars. No one believes me when I say I scratched the cover until I show them the pics of it.
Either way its your money do what you please with it.

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
Awesome job man thanks for the write up

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how long did it take you"
Took me about 20-30 minutes to grind the scratches out and sand the cover. Then I waited about 30-45 minutes between coats(they were very light at first). I did 3 coats the first day, then it got dark. I wet sanded it in the morning and then put the last coat on. Less than 2-2.5 hours total I'd say.

Also an important fact I left out above. It after sanding its VERY important to clean the cover off very well. I used acetone(BEFORE paint), after the wet sand soap and warm water is the way to go, acetone will remove the paint.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts