Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow man, Impressive work.
Could you tell me what brand and color is the paint please.
And plus, is that a can spray paint or do you need a compressor and a paint gun?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Curious from the guy that hasnt taken off the cover...to take it off i will have to have some gaskets then, gasket glue, and do any fluids come from there?? as i said a guy whom hasnt taken it off or anything before ppl chuckle..As i wouldnt mind getting it powder coated if its no drama of a job, and i wont stuff it up

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Curious from the guy that hasnt taken off the cover...to take it off i will have to have some gaskets then, gasket glue, and do any fluids come from there?? as i said a guy whom hasnt taken it off or anything before ppl chuckle..As i wouldnt mind getting it powder coated if its no drama of a job, and i wont stuff it up

Yes, you will need to buy a tube of silicone gasket....

Yes, oil will cone out of there,, use this as an oppertunity to change your oil, drain it and then remove the cover.

Here is what I suggest you do: Remove the cover sand it down,, a dremel with a whire bruch tool will make this job quick,, then two coats of primer,, then three coats of colour matched high heat paint (not sure how important the high heat paint is because the serfice of the engine there never gets hotter than 106' C regular auto paint should be able to handle that) then sand the contact surfaces of the engine and the cover to get off any left over gasket and dirt and oil and such then whipe off the sanding debris,, then apply the new silicone gasket ,, then place the cover back on and thread lock all the bolts to be safe (blue thread lock, not the red perminant stuff) you will need to let the silicone gasket cure for a short period of time before you finish tightening down the bolts.. and then you are done and the engine cover looks like brand new again... now finish with the oil change

·
Registered
48 Posts
What kind of sliders do you have on ur bike? I thought those are for making sure this doesn't happen? Oh well maybe its the angle it hit coming down on the side, rather then the rear end slidding out on a low side. Anyways nice job dude!

·
Registered
22 Posts
What kind of sliders do you have on ur bike? I thought those are for making sure this doesn't happen? Oh well maybe its the angle it hit coming down on the side, rather then the rear end slidding out on a low side. Anyways nice job dude!
The sliders wont prevent that from happening, the sliders are made to protect your casing from cracking. I would rather that happen than a cracked case. but at a stand still drop, they will help from any scratches, also helps protect your plastics in case of a stand still drop

·
Registered
33 Posts
awesome write up.... i have the same problem with mine.... didn't get it doing a wheelie though.... just laid 'er down after an uphill stall in stop n go traffic. Will definitely give this a go.

·
Registered
450 Posts
i just did mine, finally. i took the cover off to blast and paint.
i used VHT gloss black ,heatproof.
if it looks sweet ill do the stator.

ill post one tomorrow fitted.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the write up! Ive got a little scrape on my stator cover, I was gonna buy a new cover but if its the straight forward im gonna have to give this a shot!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Im going to powder coat mine, as on ebay bought both sides that had some damage on them like the OEM on this thread, 1 hour sanding them with the dremel and ready for the powdercoater to go black, as then it matches the colour of the carbon covers i have on it anyhow. as i didnt like the OEM grey colour in the background of the carbon, and the set for both sides ie clutch, engine, stator etc incl shipping cost me $50AU, a new engine cover from Honda $450Au, other side $370Au Total $720Au ebay way $50 parts, $60 powdercoat $110 Total MASSIVE saving..

But yet one question since i havent pulled my OEM ones off is are there gaskets for these or is it just RTV silicone sealant? as i havent looked that part up yet..

41 - 60 of 95 Posts