Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a quick question. I have never worked with a dremmel before, how big is the learning curve with this tool? I am a pretty handy guy and the scratches on my engine covers are driving me crazy. I am sure I will try this no matter what just kinda curious about what i am in for......thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
I got a quick question. I have never worked with a dremmel before, how big is the learning curve with this tool? I am a pretty handy guy and the scratches on my engine covers are driving me crazy. I am sure I will try this no matter what just kinda curious about what i am in for......thanks
Dremel isn't the ideal tool for sanding, but if you use the wire brush its more forgiving.

If the damage is too deep, use a body filler like bondo.

:-
Sand(heavy), fill, sand(180), prime, sand(600), paint away!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dremel isn't the ideal tool for sanding, but if you use the wire brush its more forgiving.

If the damage is too deep, use a body filler like bondo.

:-
Sand(heavy), fill, sand(180), prime, sand(600), paint away!

bondo can stand the heat from the engine? if so that sounds alot easier than trying to grind scrapes out of metal...........thanks for your help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but thought it would be better than getting the "use the search" comments since this is the thread I would need to have searched.

Anyhow, I was wondering if that paint was the Dupli-Color Low Gloss Black Engine Enamel (DE1634)? That is the only Dupli-Color high temp paint that I could find that seemed to be fairly close to the engine color. Could it have been the DH1602 that I found listed on Dupli-Colors website that I couldn't find at the store?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
37 Posts
In the pictures, only the smaller circle portion is sanded. Is that the only part that I need to sand or do I need to sand down the ENTIRE case (both big circle and little circle)?

·
Registered
227 Posts
you need to sand down the whole cover both of them, its gives the paint grip.

1) - Sand the whole cover with 220 grit.

2) - Use acetone to clean the area you just sanded, also use gloves and well vented area so you don't breath it in acetone

3) - Use soap and water to clean off any excess of acetone.

4) - Now apply a coat of paint when surface is dry, don`t add to much so it runs but enough it coats the whole area.

5) - wait 30-45 minutes for the first coat to dry.

6) - Add another coat of paint.

7) - Wait 30-45 minutes to dry.

8) - Add another coat of paint.

9) - Wait 30-45 minutes to dry.

10) - Use 1000 grit wet sand paper.

11) - Use soap and water to clean the area off.

12) - Now apply the last coat of paint.

13) -- wait till it is fully dry and look at it, does it look good, if not then re-apply another coat.

14) - Congratulations you are done!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
its not hard, just make sure you sand the whole area and do the steps.

The way you paint is you do spirts, spray and count to 1 stop, in a sweeping motion till the area is all hit, and do that for every other coat.

Really its like swinging your arm and hit the spray and hold it for one second.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion!

I believe I posted on this last year for some instructions how to do this.....just want to say I did and it turned out awesome! I repainted both covers a darker shade of gray and you can't even tell they were scraped except for my clutch cover b/c it had a really deep mark. I would post a pic but I dont have one!

·
Registered
111 Posts
looks great man never thought that it would come out that good definitely going to keep this in mind

·
Registered
117 Posts
took me about 2hours for this whole process. sanding/prepping the 1st hour, and the other hour i sprayed it with 10min intervals in between. left it for about another hour or so, then rode around so that the heat from the engine would cure the paint. its been over a month and it looks rock solid!

·
Registered
111 Posts
nice! i just ordered a new cover for 140 bucks. but i'll take off the scraped one and fix it up to sell and keep the new one :)

61 - 80 of 95 Posts