Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks I am gonna do the same now

Update:
Just finished, it looks great. only if you are up close can you notice some of the imperfections where the metal was gouged. from 2 steps back it looks just like it came from the factory. I was gonna spend a ridulous amount on new covers but for less than $25 i got everything i need to breath new life into the bike

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
just curious why you guys never mentioned applying primer after the initial sanding down of the surface. Is it because the paint sticks anyway to a sanded surface?

·
Registered
227 Posts
prim is ok if you got huge dips in the cover but if you got that deep of ones I would just replace it because who knows if you might have a crack. It's all up to what you want to do but high temp paint works like a charm without prim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Dave,
awesome job! I just found your thread and have some questions if you still remember:
1. Did you remove the small cap for dremelling?
2. If yes, how did you prevent small metal fragments getting into the engine when dremelling the edge of the whole?
3. Did you paint the small cap separately or screwed back and painted together with the big piece?
4. If U get it right, you dremelled the scratched parts (where metal can be seen) and sand papered all the engine cover (but left the original paint on on the unscratched parts). Is this correct?
5. You say you used DH 1602 High Heat Black paint. Is that right? (I found also two other types of paint that might be similar: DE 1634 Low Gloss Black, DE 1651 Cast Coat Iron - I might order both to see the difference, I d love to have it as close to origi as it can be.)

Sorry for the many questions, but I am very excited and want to to the job right. Thanks for your help!
chill

·
Registered
60 Posts
Paint was chipping of my cover so I followed the steps very simple, used high heat paint, just have to clean off a few spots I spayed because of the wind and dogs messing with me.

Very very happy with the turn out. :D
Gonna wait a hour let it cure in the sun while I clear her up and get her ready the ride tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to bump, trying to avoid unnecessary new threads.

I want to try this out, but want to remove the bolts on the cover while painting to be 100% thorough. Will loosening/removing the bolts jeopardize the seal and/or cause leaks? If not, does loosening the bolts then re-tightening them compromise the seal?

·
BOTM Winner 03/14
2,497 Posts
Sorry to bump, trying to avoid unnecessary new threads.

I want to try this out, but want to remove the bolts on the cover while painting to be 100% thorough. Will loosening/removing the bolts jeopardize the seal and/or cause leaks? If not, does loosening the bolts then re-tightening them compromise the seal?

If it were me I'd take it off full be better job. Re-sealing it it easy and not to much $$$. But to answer your question you could chance it but it's that a chance.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Awesome job! Mine has the silver cover, so would look odd being painted black. :-(

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have the same situation , same bike 2008 600rr , on the stator cover , i wanna know hat paint you used ? isnt it some kind of a metallic paint ? i couldnt find anything online for the actual paint. can you share the picture or the link for it ? Thanks

81 - 95 of 95 Posts