Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how to Prevent BIKE theft

I just brought a new 2004 honda CBR600RR and I keep hearind about all these bike theft. SO WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT IT ? I ALSO LIVE IN ATLANTA WERE THEY LIKE TO STEAL THINGS Especially on the westside. but i live on the EASTSIDE (till i die) :-x :twisted:

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Put it in a garage and stuff.

If you can't, always lock the handlebars, do a key-check before you leave it.

Disc locks are a good idea, and get a bike lock thingy that you can tie it to a tree or something, LOL

But basically remember, bikes are fairly portable and light in the scheme of things - if they want your bike bad enough, they'll take it, no matter how many precautions you might take.

·
Registered
417 Posts
guess what? you can lock all that up. as soon as your fairings are stolen, insurance will total the bike. so make sure you have comprehesive coverage. if its stolen you ain't have to worry about a thing. don't go all out on mod it either, insurance will not pay a dime more than blue book. good luck!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Progressive insures up to $1000 in aftermarket parts by default... Of course that's only enough for an exhaust and a PC3, maybe.

Also, a kid in my MSF course was a repo guy, and repo'ed a lot of bikes. He said that handlebar locks are a joke. A screwdriver and a hammer is all it takes.

I just moved to a condo, so I'm keeping my bike in a storage unit over night, and when I'm home for a little while I lock my bike up to my roommates.

As schwing said, if they want it they'll get it. Someone once posted about locking their bike up with that Krypto "New York" chain. The crooks just brought an oxy-acetylene torch and cut it :(

- M

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Both Schwing and lawangrr have a good points.

The best prevention is "out of mind, out of sight". If the thief doesn't know it's there, they won't know to steal it... In the garage, in the house, or hell, in a shed. As long as it's not in the open or somewhere that would make it easier for someone to steal it, such as somewhere secluded, you'll be fine...

·
Registered
812 Posts
hollywood30002 said:
Blade-Runner, HOW DID YOU ADD PIS TO YOUR POST
The pic has to be on the internet already somewhere

You can start on quick reply but then do a preview to get to the editor.

Click Img where you want the picture and put the location of the pic.

When done click Img* or just type in.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
There are 3 different ways to steal a bike:

Drive Away: The steering lock and a good alarm with a disabler will help this.

Roll Away: A disc lock on the front or rear disc will help prevent this.

and Lift Away: A heavy chain or cable to a solid object will help prevent this.

The name of the game is deterrence. A thief will only steal your bike (or any item for that matter) if the value of the stolen object is percieved to be greater than the hassel. Thus, you can either lower the percieved value of the bike, increase the hassles of getting to the bike, or a combination of the two. So, keeping that in mind, if you live in a high crime area, lock your bike up to prevent drive, roll, and lift away theft, then COVER it to lower the percieved value. If a thief doesn't know it's there, he's not gonna waste his time to remove a cover to check it out. And when he does, hopefully he'll see all three deterrent systems in place which he'll percieve to be too much of a hassle.

However, PROFESSIONAL theives will NOT be deterred in ANY case. A cannister of Air Conditioning Freon will make quick work of the toughest chain, and a dremel or angle grinder will cut through a cable lock in seconds (no matter how thick--that's why cables suck...cutting 100 strands of thin metal isn't any harder than cutting 1 strand of thin metal. Unless each strand increases in thickness, having a thicker cable isn't gonna help). A hardened steel disc lock can either be frozen and shattered. Or an angle grinder can be used to shave off that section of the brake disc. Someone can roll away your bike on the front of a skateboard, and the steering lock can be simply FORCED open. all it takes is 2 guys with baseball bats stuck through the wheels to lift up a bike into a truck or van. Your bike is gone in seconds--well before the neighbors are annoyed enough by your bike's alarm system to look out their window.

Locks, chains, alarms, covers only keep honest people honest. At best, they'll deter casual thieves or friends of the kids next door from taking your bike. Comprehensive insurance is almost more necessary than liability insurance--but because so many bikes are reported stolen, comprehensive insurance in some areas is a joke (I live and go to school in West LA...like...Bel Air and Brentwood and Westwood and stuff...and bikes here get stolen by guys on the east side aka the ghetto, and so my comprehensive insurance is over 9k...yes...$9000 a year for a sportbike worth anything more than $5000).

So...all this taken in consideration...what do I do? Steering lock, disc lock, chain to a congrete pillar, cover with a small pad lock (critical), and then I park my car up behind it to prevent lift away theft. The alarm is set, but no one will hear it in the shared underground parking garage. I make it a point not to clean my bike outside or cruise in my own neighborhood. I come home quickly and park it just as quickly.

I want to create some sort of mechanial (not electrical) device that can be removed that attaches to the throttle cable somewhere, that, when it detects movement in the throttle cable, sets a delay timer for 20 seconds--after which the device then suddenly pulls the throttle wide open, sending the engine spinning bouncing off the rev limiter. Imagine a theif carryng the bike home, starting her up for a joy ride, rolling down the street, and then WHAM wide open throttle right into cross traffic :twisted: .

·
Registered
286 Posts
I want to create some sort of mechanial (not electrical) device that can be removed that attaches to the throttle cable somewhere, that, when it detects movement in the throttle cable, sets a delay timer for 20 seconds--after which the device then suddenly pulls the throttle wide open, sending the engine spinning bouncing off the rev limiter. Imagine a theif carryng the bike home, starting her up for a joy ride, rolling down the street, and then WHAM wide open throttle right into cross traffic
In our fed up justice system you would more than likly get charged with something or another should the thief get hurt steeling your bike....

N

·
0 Posts
Preventing theft other than using devices/locks

Recently there have been numerous reports of theft and it really sucks to read about these so I thought I'd add my 2 cents. If you want to chime in feel free.

Anytime I come back from riding, as I enter into my neighborhood I always, ALWAYS check to see if I'm being followed. If a car I don't recognize is following me into my neighborhood, I'll make several turns or run back out to the main streets just to throw them off or until I feel secure. And anytime I do a sale here in the forum or via Ebay, I always have it shipped to my work, friend's place, or complete the transaction in public places.

You may communicate with long-term members here on the board and think they're reliable and stuff but you can't say you're 100% sure you won't be ripped off. For all we know, that person can be part of a theft ring. Kinda like what happened at 1000rr.com

If you go on group rides, please be cautious of who you ride with and who you give out your personal information to--Not just for safety reasons but also for security reasons.

I know it's not full proof but every little bit helps.

K

·
0 Posts
Hey, the mirror check isn't such a bad idea for more reasons than JUST theft! I ALWAYS look in my mirror before i turn into my street, and just before i enter my drive. if the same veichle that was behind me turned down my street and is keeping their distnace, i keep going. if they are STILL behind me.... I BUG THE FUQ OUT!

BEcasue you never know if they want your bike, or your life. remember that. this is true when you're in car too people. if someone is tailing you, shake them, or go to a populated area, like a restaurant or outdoor party.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts