Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short, I was raising my bike back up from a 3" drop which the previous owner had and it didn't got quite as smoothly as I was hoping it would. Either my friends torque wrench was broken or we set it wrong or something happened and we snapped this thing.

*not actual picture, took this from another thread on the forum*

We snapped the top one, flush inside of the threads.

Am I replacing the entire thing up there or is there hope for me to get it out some how?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Drill a small hole in the body of the bolt and use an EZ out.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:+1:

Sometimes if the bolt is somewhat suspect, it's better to use an impact gun. That way it will minimize the amount of torque subjected on the bolt.
An impact gun on a 6mm bolt? What you smoking?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah my EZ out snapped inside of the bolt haha. I think i'm ordering a replacement bridge/fork top.... For now on I'll be the only one tightening anything on my own bike lol...

Unless there is another option? Could I just drill out the entire thing, then re thread it?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're not getting through that EZ out with a drill bit. Should have used it properly...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's only half of the very tip of it. No idea how it happened. Drilled a straight hole through the middle of the bolt, tapped it in with the hammer and started spinning it counter clockwise. I should have just bought a new one.

But is that gonna be enough to stop all attempts at saving this thing?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you have enough time and money to buy a bit to drill through cementite, it's probably best to get a new one, or take it off and bring it to a machine shop and have them get it out.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
An impact gun on a 6mm bolt? What you smoking?
Obviously some of what you're having if you think that's a 6mm bolt. That's a 10mm and yes you can use one if you have a small one and adjust the pressure in the line. Have you ever heard of an impact screwdriver? Wouldn't that be an overkill as well for anything under 6mm according to your theory?

OP, you can just re-drill the hole then re-thread but the EZ out is really the best way.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mmm Is that bolt not a 8mm..
Try smashing the ezi out with a thin center punch.

D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts