Difficulty scale......5/10

Tools needed:
Chop saw.....with metal cutting blade
Rivet tool
Rivets
Needle nose pliers or Channel Locks
Safety glasses
Dremel....with cutting blade

Here's what I did. I used a Hitachi 10" Chop Saw. First I went down to Lowes. I bought a 10" saw blade that is used for cutting METAL (not a saw blade made out of metal).....it was about $5.00, I bought an Arrow pop rivet tool...$17.99, I also picked up a box of Arrow 3/16" rivets (box of 50).

Next I kinda 'eyeballed' how much I wanted to cut off. I took 4" off, cuz I didn't want to have to use that aluminum band to hang the pipe back onto the bike....the aluminum band with the rubber part on the other side.

Then I used a drill to drill out all the rivet's. I drilled out all the rivet's including the 4 on each side that held the YOSH tag on. I didn't want that YOSH badge or the other little silver aluminum strap's on it once I was done. I was going for the 'clean' look.

Once I figured out how much I wanted to cut off I got a nice thick piece of duct tape. I then took that piece of duct tape and wrapped it around the carbon fiber can one time. I put the pipe down flush (flat) on the chop saw rail (piece) whatever it's called. I then lined up the piece of duct tape (center) where I wanted to make my cut. Make sure you wear some safety glasses when you make your cut. Shiit flies everywhere. And do it outside or in a well ventilated area!!! I then had Duff (dotnet member) hold the other end of the pipe while I held down the carbon fiber part on the rail of the chop saw. Then I prayed to Baby Jesus that I didn't ruin a $500 exhaust. I lined up the blade to the center of the duct tape one more time just to be sure it was where I wanted before I made my cut. So I start my cut (full throtle) with the chop saw. I cut through the carbon fiber, the packing, and the center metal pipe. But I had to turn the pipe over because the 10" chop saw only went 50% - 75% through on the first cut. I then turned it over to the other side to continue my cut. I lined it up again to complete my second cut on the other side.

After that, you will have the two pieces. The peice with the end cap will now need to be Dremeled with a cutting blade. With the end cap in hand (end cap on the left....chop saw cut on the right) you will now need to use the Dremel to make a cut going from right to left....(if you need help with this part PM me). Once you cut that piece you will now be able to remove the end cap from the cut piece. They used some kind of resin or glue to attach....it's a bitch to get apart if you don't Dremel it.

OK....now your end cap piece is off and ready to re-attach to the carbon fiber can. You will now need to make 4 relief cut's to the inner steel pipe inbetween the packing and the outter carbon fiber part. After you make the 4 relief cut's (about 1/4".....top, bottom, left, and right) you will need to take a pair of needle nose pliers or Channel Locks and bend the 4 relief cut's in toward the packing in order to get the carbon fiber end cap back on.

Take the carbon fiber end cap and attach to the carbon fiber can. Once you have it on (I used a rubber mallet to bang it on to the pipe so you get a nice even fit all the way around) take your drill with a 3/16" bit and drill new holes all the way around for your rivet's. Rivet the end cap back on. Pat yourself on the back......Congratulations...you just saved yourself $50-$100 and you did it yourself. Enjoy!!!

Sorry.....I didn't take any pictures while I was doing this mod......:drunk:

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Click on my build thread to see finished product....:shakehand

·
Registered
821 Posts
Ahhhhh there it is. Looks rad!

Since you installed it with no strap (looks great), what's the pipe hanging from?

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Before........

After........

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you installed it with no strap (looks great), what's the pipe hanging from?
Nothing....it hasn't moved one bit....

·
Registered
307 Posts
this doesn't have much to do with your finished product but ive always wondered, Is the CA light pretty visible with the yosh's stock length? if you have any pics of it that would be great.

·
Registered
760 Posts

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks good....you think it's possible for a titan yosh? I'll give mine a try.
I wouldn't see why not. Just double check when you buy your saw blade to see which one is required for Titanium. When I went to Lowes I asked the guy in the power tool section which blade I needed to cut the CF cuz I had no clue. Make sure to post up some pic's.....I'd like to see them.....I'm sure everyone else would too. :banger:

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I always wondered about shortening the slipon. But I wanted to know if it has any adverse effects on performance? I mean, companies made them that length for a reason. Also, is it any louder?

·
Simmonds steak Do not leave the kitchen without it
14,811 Posts
sorry but I'd like to disagree,
I have a stock length yoshi, and integrated tail light
and it looks like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK1D5KJ3Hyc
you have a 03-06 tail, the integrated brake light is standard on that bike. He is riding a 08 which usually has a hanging tail light. There are modifications to install a 03-06 type tail light on the 07-10 bikes. When you install a integrated brake light on those bikes, its not nearly as visible as the lights on a 03-06 because the exhaust covers most of the light. When he shortened the exhaust, it brought out the tail light more. Great mod, i'll have to remember this one for my friends. :+1:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here are a few pics of my carbon Yosh after following Lucky13's writeup. I took 2 inches off. I made a few small changes to how I did this mod, but I stuck to the main points of how this is done.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ryan...thanks for the pic's.......looks great! :banger:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Here are a few pics of my carbon Yosh after following Lucky13's writeup. I took 2 inches off. I made a few small changes to how I did this mod, but I stuck to the main points of how this is done.

you didnt use the exhaust hanger? how dose it ride without that on?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts