Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife approves (edit, approves of the cbr) but now I gotta break the news to her family and mine.. How did you guys go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for all advice!

·
Registered
248 Posts
By asking the question, I'm guessing you assume they will disapprove of your decision. Just tell them! Let them vent about the dangers of motorcycling and all the other crap they may say about it. Then tell them that you greatly appreciate their concern and love for you, but you are a grown man and this is a decision that you have made. Request that they respect it, and again thank them for their concern. Ultimately they will accept it. They might not be happy about it, but they will accept it. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
what i did

went bought bike

showed up at parents house

"look waht i bought!" *brace for frontal verbal assault*

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
If its not this, then he's on the wrong forum...
haha.

what i did

went bought bike

pretty much same thing i did. bought the bike. rode it home. showed mother at the house. got the "you better be careful" speech. but it wasn't too bad since she's known i was planning on buying a bike anyways. good luck.

·
Banned
216 Posts
^and luckily for me...ive been riding motorcycles my whole life...I got my motorcycle permit at 15, didnt get a drivers liscense til I was 17...my dad didnt trust me in a car.. :/

the girlfriends parents, on the other hand, arent so hot about the bike...they love me to death though, and she LOVES my bike..so we'll just keep playing things by ear

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
It's simple, you look them in the eye and say "I got a bike". No point in setting up a story as to why, just say it.
yep

"it is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol my bad I meant cbr haha . My in laws I think in particular the mom is where I'm going to need the most buy in!

Thanks for the advice guys just gonna make it happen

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
what i did

went bought bike

This is exactly what I did.

My parents knew the day would come they just didn't know it would be two days after I graduated college and two months after I moved out.

they were always saying "you are never going to get a bike aslong as you live under our roof"

they know it is my passion and they are actually fully supporting about it - not to say they werent a little dissapointed at first

I think they just didnt want it on their conscience that they "allowed" me to to get one - god forebid

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
Lol my bad I meant cbr haha . My in laws I think in particular the mom is where I'm going to need the most buy in!

Thanks for the advice guys just gonna make it happen
of course her daughter will be on the back! lol Ill be fine with my daughter's bf (gawd im getting ahead of myself!! lol) having a bike, as long as he's responsible, wears gear, and she wears gear! oh and after my "talk" with him :p

·
Registered
387 Posts
You're an adult making adult decisions. If your wife approves then that's all that matters. Your family and in-laws will get over it. Explain that you are committed to safety. that should help some. People are ignorant about bikes and their danger. If you ride safely it's mostly the other drivers that are dangerous.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You could do a few low gear fly by's around their house and then wait til they find out that's its you from the towns rumor mill? Not a good idea? Oh.. then just do like BB300z said. Tell them and take the warnings.. Tell them you'll heed them and that's all you can do! Good luck

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My dad hit a flat bed truck doing roughly 50mph and was in the hospital for 3 months. Not sure how he didn't die. Needless to say he was very much against the idea of me getting a bike.

One day bought a bike, showed up at home (still lived with parents) said Dad i gotta show you something.

It was then I found out he still loved motor cycles and was about as excited for it as i was.

Most people just put on a front but, if you show up with one on the drive way there's not much they can do about it.

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
I've had my bike for 2 years now and I still haven't told my parents. She'd freak out and worry, even though I'm 25 years old.
James James you gotta tell them man! what if there on this forum :crackup:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts