Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im new to riding and i am having trouble doing slow sharp u-turns. i always feel like the bike is going to fall so i throw my foot down. ive been practicing for the license test. is there any pointers any one could give me. they would be appreciated.

·
Registered
222 Posts
yea i got a pointer... go take the msf coarse first. good luck

·
Premium Member
14,336 Posts
Not sure about other states but in FL we have to do a right hand u-turn at that... Make sure you can do them this way as well... The way I learned was to have enough momentum to carry you into the turn, this way you won't have to feather the clutch till you are exiting the turn. Practice alot and if you have the funds take the coarse, you will learn alot.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i make my money with the clutch control... and if the bike is kinda jerky in 1st gear, try it in 2nd and give it gas but control it with the clutch... at the MSF they though us it was all about the clutch control....but like chito said, just practice...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Take MSF and they'll teach you how, and you'll get to do it on a smaller bike.

As for practicing yourself. Slide your butt over the outside edge of the seat and kind of push the bike down away from you in to the turn. You can practice on a bicycle first if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
375 Posts
come in a little bit faster, nail the back brake so the tire locks up, and whip the ass end around......

at least thats how i do it :headscrat

·
Registered
395 Posts
jus dont be a douche

·
Registered
395 Posts
blow the instructor at your test ?

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
Step away from the bike and get your ass to class.

If you are too hot headed to do that than scoot your weight on the opposite side of the seat in which you are leaning. More gas means more stabil turning so if you feel like the bike my start to fall over on you don't put your foot down. Give it more gas.

Now either go take the MSF or go practice in a parking lot.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Keep the engine revving and use the rear brake to keep the bike at a slow controlled speed. You want the biek and engine working with you.

Go to the library at checkout Twist of the Wrist it is explained in there, I believe, better than I am able to convey.

·
Registered
830 Posts
put your weight opposite of where the bike is leaning and use rear brake. to be honest, the cbr is tough on these slow sharp u turns. the sv is much much easier.

·
Registered
625 Posts
^^ amen to that. I can full lock turn the SV like it's nothing. The RR isn't quite as easy. Yet another reason not to get the RR as a first bike

·
Registered
114 Posts
scoot your ass over a little in the seat to kind of counter balance yourself, its still not easy but thats how i was tought at MSF and it does work

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
bro, move your butt to the outside of the turn.. go to a parking lot and practice about 30 mins.. do figure 8s every couple of times so u can make sure your doin it right. i practiced my butt off on a gsxr 750 the srad, which is huge compared to all my other bikes.. anyways, practice and bump anyone with negitive comments.. i speak for most legal riders when i say i prefer u ask and practice then crash and... nothing rythms with practice... you get the point..

·
Registered
903 Posts
as everyone else suggested use your body to your advantage. another good pointer is look into the turn, like i was told in msf course "you look at the ground directly in front of you that's where your going to go" meaning that your going to put your foot down. Take your time and practice.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts