Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stayed over at a friend of mine's place to help him look at a VFR in the morning. While we were deciding what to watch and scrolled through his collection, I saw a snapshot of Obi Wan on an ADV motorcycle!

Turns out Ewan and his friend Charley did two massive trips throughout the world:

One is the Long Way Round, and another Long Way Down. In Round, they take a BMW GS1200 and go from London to Manhattan through Europe, Asia (skipping between Siberia and the lower countries), ultimately to Alaska, through Canada, and finally into the US all the while experiencing local customs and culture and not simply riding by as tourists.

In Long Way Down, they basically do the same except now from Scotland through Europe, and through Africa down to Cape Town.

I'm still in the middle of Down series but the episodes are gold throughout. Give it a watch!

Trailers:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've seen both and they are both great. Can't decide which i liked better lol.

You should also check out Mondo Enduro, it's about some british dudes who go all over the world on Suzuki DR 350s, they actually cover some of the same territory that Ewan and Charley did. Pretty cool to compare and contrast the two even though the movie is only an hour and a half.

By the way what happened with the VFR?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I came across those recently also, those are two great documentaries. It's always nice being able to appreciate others customs and see how welcoming people from other parts of the world can be to total strangers. And a lot of scenery is awe inspiring.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen both and they are both great. Can't decide which i liked better lol.

You should also check out Mondo Enduro, it's about some british dudes who go all over the world on Suzuki DR 350s, they actually cover some of the same territory that Ewan and Charley did. Pretty cool to compare and contrast the two even though the movie is only an hour and a half.

By the way what happened with the VFR?
I think the Round was a bit better, as the guys didn't have such a tight schedule and could diverge from a planned route when they pleased. That's reflected in the production style of the episodes too.

I don't know much about the VFRs except the V4 engine so I ended up just doing the basic look over to note any oddities. I had a chance to ride on a Honda Magna a few years back and remember that engine being creamy smooth and an all around pleasant power plant. The guy's bought it since so I'm looking forward to riding it soon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think the Round was a bit better, as the guys didn't have such a tight schedule and could diverge from a planned route when they pleased. That's reflected in the production style of the episodes too.

I don't know much about the VFRs except the V4 engine so I ended up just doing the basic look over to note any oddities. I had a chance to ride on a Honda Magna a few years back and remember that engine being creamy smooth and an all around pleasant power plant. The guy's bought it since so I'm looking forward to riding it soon.

Yeah good point about Round, I agree but I thought the riding and scenery in Africa was amazing in Down. They should go back there on lighter bikes like 650s maybe.

Hope you guys enjoy the VFR! They are legendary bikes, I've had 3 happy and problem free years on mine. Depending on what year, be wary of electrical issues, there was actually a recall on the wire harness at one point. However if the bike doesn't have any electrical mods like heated grips or sockets then you should be good.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah good point about Round, I agree but I thought the riding and scenery in Africa was amazing in Down. They should go back there on lighter bikes like 650s maybe.

Hope you guys enjoy the VFR! They are legendary bikes, I've had 3 happy and problem free years on mine. Depending on what year, be wary of electrical issues, there was actually a recall on the wire harness at one point. However if the bike doesn't have any electrical mods like heated grips or sockets then you should be good.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll pass that info along. The bike is all stock minus givi panniers.

As for Down, it would be cool to see how much better the lighter bikes fare in sand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts