Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new job and will be relocating to NYC. I know how congested the city is and how it sux to have a car.....but is it bike friendly? Hows the parking situation and also how are the roads out there? I'm sorta freakin out cuz its motorcycle heaven in the bay area and I hate to move outta here.

·
Premium Member - BOTM 02/2010
1,540 Posts
i would think it is different depending on what specific area. There are places in NJ that just suck for riding, but then there are some really good spots. NY i am unsure about. hopefully someone else can help ya out. And congrats on the new job!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
IM on long island just started riding about 3000 miles ago. you'll like the meadow brook pkwy about 20 miles west of nyc. if ya make a day head out to montauk quite some views. also 25a is good for some twisties but the traffic sucks in nyc you probally get respected more on a bike than the island but as always pretend your invisible safe riding

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
if your gonna be in the "city" like manhattan, then you will wanna shoot yourself as soon as you get there.
You can always head upstate to find some nice riding but its gonna be 45 minutes of riding in sh1t traffic and pinball machine sized potholes of riding to get there.

You can also head out to Jersey torwards PA. and find some nice countryside roads.

But basically....NJ/NY just flat out sux for riding!

Just sell the bike dude!!!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Rule of thumb, the closer you are to the city, the worse the riding is. There are decent spots in NJ, but you need to go more west for that. Areas just outside the city, such as Jersey City, Hoboken, etc won't be much good for riding. For New York, the same general rule applies. Go more upstate into the scenic areas and the rides are better.

NJ/NYC drivers tend to drive a lot more aggressively than those on the west coast, so that's something else you will need to watch out for.

I don't know much about Long Island, but the drivers there suck, so watch out for them ;)

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
shamster said:
Rule of thumb, the closer you are to the city, the worse the riding is. There are decent spots in NJ, but you need to go more west for that. Areas just outside the city, such as Jersey City, Hoboken, etc won't be much good for riding. For New York, the same general rule applies. Go more upstate into the scenic areas and the rides are better.

NJ/NYC drivers tend to drive a lot more aggressively than those on the west coast, so that's something else you will need to watch out for.

I don't know much about Long Island, but the drivers there suck, so watch out for them ;)
+1 well put!

Oh and when I said that if your gonna be in Manhattan to "shoot yourself" I meant for riding purposes..... the city is awesome..I love manhattan.
I would live there if I had the money!!!:love10:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
yeah i ride in manhattan ALL the time with my friends....especially around downtown by NYU, it's fun to bash around, hit on bi0tches and pull over for a brewski. right now it's spring training but pretty soon we'll have really nice scenery.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Brooklyn

If you live within the 5 boroughs then all I have to say is watch out for cabs and dollar vans. They dont give a sh!t about you. Traffic is crazy so if you dont have a problem with white lining then you are good. As others said before upstate and long island are the key places to really open it up but as for the city its really fun but with the scenery (chicks).

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
charles722 said:
yeah i ride in manhattan ALL the time with my friends....especially around downtown by NYU, it's fun to bash around, hit on bi0tches and pull over for a brewski. right now it's spring training but pretty soon we'll have really nice scenery.

I'd love to slap on a D&D and scream it through the Holland Or Lincoln Tunnel!!

LMAO that would sound insane!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts