Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I took my CBR out for my first long drive through Boston last night. It was 11 at night. There was almost no traffic, and I rode all through downtown, all through Boylston - it was just unimaginably fun. It's such a step up from the Vespa I've been driving for a year.

I'm curious if you can chime in on something. My husband is 14 years older than me, and he's the cautious sort. I tried to give him my old Vespa so we could ride together, but it doesn't seem safe to him. He's got it in his mind to buy one of these.

It's an MC-95-250 - a knock off of the Can Am Spyder. It's less than $5000 new. It has three wheels, is automatic, and seems to be very easy to drive.

My direct question is this - is this a good idea?

It seems to me that it would be almost impossible to get parts for this. I would worry it would be an all but disposable machine.

He thinks it would be fun to drive to work in Boston. I am unconvinced. Do you have any thoughts?

Bri

·
Registered
221 Posts
thoroughbread motorsports stallion :)
prolly 2 expensive tho

tell him not to be scared

or just cut off the sex until he mans up and gets a bike

no bike, no sex :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
That looks like a giant piece of junk - maybe less safe that a hum drum sport bike.
If he doesn't like 2 wheels because it's dangerous he's not going to like 3 wheels anymore - you're still exposed.

Some ppl have this idea that if they lose focus for a second that their bike will just magically tip over...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
:+1:

Three wheels give you a false sense of security. All it does is hide problems that exist, it doesn't solve them.

Contrary to marketing, you can still highside one.

Did he take the MSF Basic Rider Course? I would hope it isn't just you who is doing the teaching, as there is a curriculum and a reason why that there is one.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did he take the MSF Basic Rider Course? I would hope it isn't just you who is doing the teaching, as there is a curriculum and a reason why that there is one.
Ha. I would not presume to teach anyone. I'm trying to learn all I can, which is why I come here. It's my current mission to not be a squid.

He sat in on the classroom part of mine. It was an hour out of town, and the instructor didn't mind. He didn't do the driving part, though. Gods, I wish he'd just cowboy up and try the class! I feel so much safer and more skillful since taking mine.

He has his mind set on this like level 10. I want to support him, since I just got a CBR and a marriage needs balance, but I think this is an unwise course of action.

Bri

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Ha. I would not presume to teach anyone. I'm trying to learn all I can, which is why I come here. It's my current mission to not be a squid.

He sat in on the classroom part of mine. It was an hour out of town, and the instructor didn't mind. He didn't do the driving part, though. Gods, I wish he'd just cowboy up and try the class! I feel so much safer and more skillful since taking mine.

He has his mind set on this like level 10. I want to support him, since I just got a CBR and a marriage needs balance, but I think this is an unwise course of action.

Bri
Hehe...

I hope I didn't come off offensive, kinda difficult to convey emotion on a forum. Most spouses, family and friends hearts are often in the right place, though not all information is given and the new rider is left not knowing what to do if a situation goes ugly.

That's great about him sitting in on the class. Most instructors are pretty cool about it, I welcome it myself and usually chat it up with them. However when it comes to the riding portion, I ask them to hang back or grab some lunch as the added pressure of doing well, instead of having fun affects the students concentration.

You could always get a gift certificate for the class and encourage him. However if he has no desire to ride right now, little is going to be done. I've had students come to me in the middle of the first day of riding and tell me it just isn't for them. While they were doing better than other riders, I try to encourage them. Though when their mind is made up, it is made up. It's a shame sometimes.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
793 Posts
Based on the title I thought this thread had some real potential, then I read it and it's about bikes ...:crackup:

Anyway, here is my basic philosophy on talking to non-riders about taking up the sport...

Riding a motorcycle is something that is not enjoyable to everyone and to really make it worth the effort you have to want to.

If they don't feel the desire, at some level, then I don't encourage it. Riding is something that one either 'gets' or they don't - and if they don't then they should NOT be doing it on the street. The reality is that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than a lot of things and there are a lot of ways to get hurt or killed - mostly because of some rider screwup and the one's who "ride but don't really get it" are the most prone to doing something stupid.

Now, if someone has an interest, even if they are too afraid to try it out, then I recommend they take the basic MSF course. That is a very controlled environment on bikes that are easy to ride with someone there who knows how to teach you to keep it rubber side down. Falling down and 'crashing' is done at such a slow speed that it's faily uncommon for even raw beginners to really get hurt very bad. If they don't like it after that then riding is simply not for them.

The number of wheels isn't really the issue. It's probably just as easy to get run over or crash that thing as any two-wheeler. But, If he thinks 3-wheels would be fun then more power to him. It's definitely easier and less intimidating to ride but it won't be exactly the same "experience" as we get on a bike. When I'm too old and weak to hold up a bike then I'll probably end up on something like the Can-Am.

FYI - My wife doesn't ride her own bike but she's thinking it would be a lot more fun than riding pillion with me so she is 'thinking about' trying it out. I really want to have her ride with me because I love riding but until SHE wants to do it I've told her to keep thinking about it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Why would that be offensive? You're always polite and dead on in this case.

I'm going to call him and tell him I've already paid for the class, and he can just pick the dates himself. It will be a $300 investment in him making a better decision. After a riding section, he will have a fair amount of information and can make up his own mind.

Bri

PS- Bimmer, I think you're absolutely right. Another reason for this COA. He'll know after this class if he takes to riding. If he does, maybe he can pick up a Ninja 250 on the cheap!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Why would that be offensive? You're always polite and dead on in this case.

I'm going to call him and tell him I've already paid for the class, and he can just pick the dates himself. It will be a $300 investment in him making a better decision. After a riding section, he will have a fair amount of information and can make up his own mind.

Bri

PS- Bimmer, I think you're absolutely right. Another reason for this COA. He'll know after this class if he takes to riding. If he does, maybe he can pick up a Ninja 250 on the cheap!
Well thank you Bri, I appreciate that. :cheers:

Keeps us informed.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am trying to picture you riding a 600rr and your husband riding the vespa..
It's comical, yes - but when you're a highly paid PhD that works in patent law, you can get a badass, beautiful wife that rides a motorcycle. It's the circle of life. ;)

Bri

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
It's comical, yes - but when you're a highly paid PhD that works in patent law, you can get a badass, beautiful wife that rides a motorcycle. It's the circle of life. ;)

Bri

LOL post pics for proof... or you are not so "badass" :ciao::spank::banger:

Your husband should take a sportbike riding course at a race track and I am sure he will want a bike just like yours.. you can rent the bikes... you should both do it together

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
LOL post pics for proof... or you are not so "badass" :ciao::spank::banger:

Your husband should take a sportbike riding course at a race track and I am sure he will want a bike just like yours.. you can rent the bikes... you should both do it together
lol... easy there high speed. Gotta learn to crawl before you can walk.

Must be spring fever...lol

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
257 Posts

Bri

Good to see you're not a shallow, materialistic trophy wife :crackup: :fyou:

Why don't you just get your self a real man. Education and money aren't anything, if you have no testicles :bootyshak

1 - 20 of 64 Posts