Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see that stupid bike movie that spun off of "fast and the furious?"
I think it's called Torque.
There is scene when the main character rides the jet powered bike very fast through an alley, and into a street, and around an intersection.

My question is:
Is it really possible to make a turn like that in real life at that speed (i'm gonna guess he was going about 142 MPH)?

If you are wondering how i guessed 142 MPH, i just looked at the intersection path, which was about 100 feet.
And the time it took him to go that distance was about half a second.

Let's hear your comments.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes it is physically possible...but it would be one big ass back tire and a serious lean. Possible, but unlikely. Would be a soft tire compound and large surface area = more traction. I think the hardest part would be keeping the front from losing grip.

·
She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her
5,253 Posts
I thought the movie was "entertaining" LIke when he jumped the truck and did the backflip on it. Yea, i do have the movie and have watched it more than once, it wasn't meant to be serious if you notice at the very first when he races the rsx and i think the eclipse, he flies by a sign and it spins, well when it spins you can see "cars suck" written in it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The movie was ok, could have been better but ok. As far as the stunts pulled at the end, the extent and situation the way they did it is impossible, but the bikes are capable of making full lean corners at 140+, there are some GP tracks that require speed like that. However, from the physics side, here you go

The angle and sharpness of that corner, given speed, tire characteristics, and the forces trying to pull the motorcycle outward and off of the line, make that turn impossible. Also, the way that the jet powered bike works makes it tougher too, as with our current machines, the inline 4's and their internal parts, along with the forces generated by those moving parts, help the bike to handle better.

In this particular corner, not even a formula 1 car could hold one that tight, and nothing matches them in corner speed with those huge tyres and ungodly downforce.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I thought the movie was alright; liked the girl in it.; just saw it again last week.
I don;t think the turn was realistic (especially w/ a jet engine)

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
formergixxer said:
The movie was ok, could have been better but ok. As far as the stunts pulled at the end, the extent and situation the way they did it is impossible, but the bikes are capable of making full lean corners at 140+, there are some GP tracks that require speed like that. However, from the physics side, here you go
I'm pretty sure that Turn 1 at brainerd is super fast like that. 140 something and they are dragging a knee.

·
Registered
814 Posts
eazy e said:
I'm pretty sure that Turn 1 at brainerd is super fast like that. 140 something and they are dragging a knee.

It's not like the 90 degree intersection turn at 140 in the movie. I dragged my knee at the rev limiter in 5th plenty of times, you can go as fast as you want at full lean, on kinks and long corners.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
yeah...I haven't seen the movie.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
100 foot path over 90 degrees:

circle - 400feet around 2(pi)r - 64 ft radius - 19.5m
speed 140 mph - 63 m/s

a=(v)^2/r - (63*63)/19.5 = 203.5 m/s/s = 21g

there is NO WAY anything or thing can pull 21 g's in a corner!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Steve-o said:
Don't waste your time. I wasted $20 and 2 hours of mylife it was dumbest movie I have seen.
I agree - I was only able to make it through the first hour or so and then the desire to kill myself was too great so I changed the channel

·
Registered
912 Posts
It's the summer right now.. the last thing I want to do is apply the physics and statics that I learned last semester.

Here's my educated guess since I didn't see that part of the movie (turned it off after 15 minutes) ----- NO

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Entertaining is correct... I like this movie a hell of a lot better than Biker bOyz

·
Registered
223 Posts
assuming 21g's is correct, you physically would black out going through that turn. Formula one cars can pull around 4g's, i believe stock bikes can pull somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.3g's or around there.

·
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef
2,009 Posts
Horrible movie... Screams "Squid" ;-)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts