Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys...just a heads up...

i am an insurance agent licensed in california. if you guys have questions about insurance, feel free to ask me. ill try to answer them to the best of my ability and if i dont know the answer i will find it for you.

here is my work email if you guys need it...

[email protected]

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check out the thread on state farm.
i already did. ive left some comments.

i saw all those insurance problems and questions so i decided to make a thread where people can ask questions and get answers...hopefully

:tard:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks for the invite, here goes. I am mostly an online guy. As for insurance, I use Drive for cars and another policy for motorcycles. The car policy has an agent listed that I haven't talked to in over 10 years. I think they move about 120miles from here so I would know how to contact them anyway, I guess I could look up the phone number.
Anyway, they recently tried to change my insurance company from Progressive/Drive to someone else. The amount was a little more than before and no on contacted me. I just received a bill in the mail. I tried to talk to the agent and after several calls gave up. The online policy seemed to be alive and I just paid them as I have for many years and all was well. The new company sent me notices that I should pay or my insurance would be canceled. Eventually they sent the cancellation for non-payment and all is well with Drive.

Do I have a black mark on some insurance database saying I failed to pay?

Can an agent change the company or insurance without contacting me?

How can I fire my agent and keep my policy?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the invite, here goes. I am mostly an online guy. As for insurance, I use Drive for cars and another policy for motorcycles. The car policy has an agent listed that I haven't talked to in over 10 years. I think they move about 120miles from here so I would know how to contact them anyway, I guess I could look up the phone number.
Anyway, they recently tried to change my insurance company from Progressive/Drive to someone else. The amount was a little more than before and no on contacted me. I just received a bill in the mail. I tried to talk to the agent and after several calls gave up. The online policy seemed to be alive and I just paid them as I have for many years and all was well. The new company sent me notices that I should pay or my insurance would be canceled. Eventually they sent the cancellation for non-payment and all is well with Drive.

from what i know...not paying a policy premium and getting cancelled is bad because you will have a lapse in coverage. Unless you had coverage from another company at the same time. some companys give you discounts for having continuous coverage (no lapse, has to be proven), the more years you go with no lapse the better the discount.

Technically they CAN change it, but it doesnt mean that they are allowed to do it. you have to be notified and agree to the change for this to happen, and of course sign paperwork. Example:

Mercury Insurance Company has essentially divisions with their company, each one serving a different type of driver; MIC, MCC, CalAuto.
MIC is ONLY for people who are classified as GOOD drivers (1 point max).
MCC (Mercury Casualty Company) and CalAuto are for bad drivers (2 or more points).

i had a good record for the first year with MIC, with 1 point. then i get a
speeding ticket, thus making me unacceptable for MIC. so when my renewal
comes around, my policy will be rewritten to MCC or CalAuto. but i will have to
agree to this change before they can issue it. either i agree or find insurance
else where.

what you want to do is called a Broker of Records (BoR). first, find a new agent that sells the same insurance that you currently have. then ask them to do a BoR.

a BoR transfers "ownership" of your account to the new agent. the new agent is now resposible for all the customer service things that are needed for your policy, like notification of changes, cancellation, etc. they also now receive the commission from your premium. you can do a BoR any time during your policy period, however, the previous agent will receive the commission until your policy period is over. So the new agent is working for free, until you renew. it doesnt, or shouldnt, cost anything to do a BoR. also, the transfer is not instant. it may take up to 1 month until the policy is available for the new agent to work on, depending on the company.

i hope that answers your questions. :tard:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quotes...California only.

well if anyone would like i can do some insurance quotes.

just shoot me over the necessary info:

-names and dob of drivers, also relation of the person(s) to you.
-address
-vehicles: make, model, year...vin# would get the most accurate quote.
-tickets or accidents
-are you a homeowner or renter? business owner?
-current insurance carrier, current coverage (limits and deductible), and current annual premium

keep in mind that having everyone in the household and all the vehicles on one policy is beneficial and also getting multiple policies.

ill quote with all my carries and look for the best rates.

ill will try to get a quote back to you asap.

CALIFORNIA ONLY

PS dont bash on me if i cant get you the best quote...BUT IM TRYING!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
well if anyone would like i can do some insurance quotes.

just shoot me over the necessary info:

-names and dob of drivers, also relation of the person(s) to you.
-address
-vehicles: make, model, year...vin# would get the most accurate quote.
-tickets or accidents
-are you a homeowner or renter? business owner?
-current insurance carrier, current coverage (limits and deductible), and current annual premium

keep in mind that having everyone in the household and all the vehicles on one policy is beneficial and also getting multiple policies.

ill quote with all my carries and look for the best rates.

ill will try to get a quote back to you asap.

CALIFORNIA ONLY

PS dont bash on me if i cant get you the best quote...BUT IM TRYING!

hmmm...

and I wasn't being a jerk or anything... I was just asking... no need to get offensive. You were doing an awesome job of helping out until you offered to give quotes. That in the insurance world is kind of selling.

I am totally fine with what you do. I appreciate it and I am sure that all the CA people do as well. I just want you to make sure you are doing it correctly on this forum and respecting our mods and admins. If so... more power to you!

·
Registered
223 Posts
One question you may not be able to answer but in one of the other threads involving a guy getting the run around on his stolen bike claim, his SF office said they have a 30 day waiting period. That sounds like bull crap to me, never heard of an agent/agency/insuance company having a 30 day waiting period before paying/processing any claims. It would suck if the bike was your only mode of transportation and had to put up with that crap!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One question you may not be able to answer but in one of the other threads involving a guy getting the run around on his stolen bike claim, his SF office said they have a 30 day waiting period. That sounds like bull crap to me, never heard of an agent/agency/insuance company having a 30 day waiting period before paying/processing any claims. It would suck if the bike was your only mode of transportation and had to put up with that crap!

yea you are right...i cant answer this question...you didnt ask one! haha JK.

yea i saw that thread and i posted my suggestions in there.

everyone's suggestions are pretty much what i would suggest to anyone.

if he was my client, i would work to get that claimed settled ASAP.

but sometimes people fall through the cracks, and have bad agents. :(

·
Registered
154 Posts
Heres one..

Ive got full coverage insurance on my bike through state farm. If I got a passenger on my bike and get in a wreck, will she be covered too??

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is what full coverage entails:

-liability coverage: your financial responsibility to the other party that you hit.

-uninsured motorist coverage: when the person that hits you does not have insurance.

-medical coverage: pays for you and your passengers medical bills. usually $1000, $5000 per person, depending on the insurance company.

-comprehensive coverage: covers damage to your property (auto or bike) that was not incurred while moving. (ie. bike swiped but a car while parked, broken glass, etc.)

-collision coverage: when you hit something while moving and incur damages. (ie. pot hole; boulder; at-fault accident)

-towing and rental

so...with that being said...if you have medical coverage then your passenger will be covered up to the amount that you have chosen.

there are some insurance companies that offer coverage for "guest passenger" and the limits are like 15/30, 25/50, and so on. this is an extra coverage that you have to choose.

i do not know if state farm offers this coverage.

hope that answers the question.

Heres one..

Ive got full coverage insurance on my bike through state farm. If I got a passenger on my bike and get in a wreck, will she be covered too??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts