Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding up on palomar today and it was hot...about 4 chp cars on the tight side of the mountain, but I decided to ride and just take it a little easy on the spots with turnouts. Well a cop spotted me with my knee down and pulled me over. He said he was going to cite me for a clear taillight, licence plate unreadeable, and reckless for the knee down.

First I start bitching about how the tail light comes stock like that, even in CA, and he cant ticket me for that. He calls one of his other cars up...the "technicals" guy, and that guy talks to me about it...I gotta have something red and reflective in the rear, simple as that. Ok, so I drop that subject, I'll put on some reflectors and take em off after the ticket clears.

Then as he's about to start writing the ticket I flip my plate down and ask him if he can read it. He gets a little confused look on his face and says sarcastically "thanks for fixing it". So I figgure I might as well try to get rid of the worst part of it.

I ask him how fast I was going...he said 44 in a 55. I asked him if he saw either of my tires sliding, spinning up, anything like that...he didnt. So I argued that if I was going below the speed limit, and maintaining traction, that the bike was under my control and I wasn't breaking any laws and he dropped it.

So now I have a ticket for no red reflector in the rear. I figgure I'll take some red reflective tape and put a strip above the tail light, take it down to chp, then get rid of it once the ticket clears. I'm happy I got rid of the reckless part though. woohoo!

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
that reckless ticket could have slammed you pretty hard!! lady luck must've been riding in the area with you. i have heard of guys getting busted pretty good for silly petty things.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can see it in my sig..see the bolt behind the signals? I't's a pivot, and I can adjust the angle of my plate from vertical to almost horizontal. I had it just about horizontal so they cant read it if i decide to run.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Ryan
((((((((had it just about horizontal so they cant read it if i decide to run.))))))))
that is the worst you can do man please do not go that route
no matter what it is not worth dying for or going to jail for just pay the fines man
and you were lucky enough not to get heavy fines so why run i hope any one that reads this understands running form cops is not cool its effin crazy and if you do it and get busted do not come here crying about it

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a good point. I haven't had to yet, and I never do anything I'd need to run for anyway. It's also a clearance issue too though...the plate hits my hugger if its not folded at least halfway.

*edit*

I'd never go into a police chase type run...but I've done the thing where you see them flip lights on and have to turn around, so you take a few quick turns and hide in a driveway to lose them before they get a chance to chase...that's the most i've ever done or will do.

·
Registered
304 Posts
usmcr6 said:
That's a good point. I haven't had to yet, and I never do anything I'd need to run for anyway. It's also a clearance issue too though...the plate hits my hugger if its not folded at least halfway.

Check these stories for any of you that think about running.

http://cbs4.com/newslocal/topstoriesmia_story_116105154.html

http://www.memestreams.net/users/iconoclast/blogid4863744

(For those of you that run)

You might not care for you life but you should be considerate for the innocent people around you. If you cant accept the consequences for you actions then you shouldn't ride at all.

H

·
0 Posts
cops around here are not too bad.. usually when i see a cop put his light on coming in the other direction.. and i know it is for me i jsut stop right there.. and then wait for the cop to get to me.. byt the time he gets there i am off the bike and waiting for him.. that usually shows to them that i have respect for what they do and thus far it has kept me from getting a ticket... i am sure the police deal with plenty of a$$holes during the day.. so me being polite and honest with them is probably a nic change of pace...

·
Registered
206 Posts
good job....

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I would fight the tail light issue. It is red when the bike is running. It comes stock that way. Technically you aren't supposed to change stock parts on anything. So I would push it. Bring in consumer reports showing the stock tail lights.

As far as the CHP's go... They are asses my mom is a sheriff in So Cal and they have given her a ticket before for windows being tinted.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Reckless driving in PA is an automatic license suspension... I know...

Jason

ps. Way to stick it to the man! hehehe

·
Registered
465 Posts
crvlvr said:
Most CHPs are jack asses. I am surprised you got away. I usually fight them in court.
I don’t think this to be the case.

IMO …..your attitude is what dictates how it will all play out. I have been pulled over so many times on bikes and in cars by the CHP for doing stuff “I would have put me in jail for” …………………..and they all let me off with a warning.

I have also had my share of tickets, but I deserved them.

And ………FYI the CHP are on their Annual Palomar Sportbike Hunt due to complaining residents ……..so weekend riding up there is a bust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts