Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its prolly gonna take 20 minutes to type this since i only have one arm. lol

what happened was a car(s) suddenly stopped in front of me and i paniced and grabbed the brake hard. I was only going sbout 35mph (wish i could find someway to convince myself i was being reckless to justify this but i was doing everything by the book) i endoed all the way and landed on my right shoulder. I've been thinking all week during the shitty weather that i shoulda adjusted the brake to be less touchy. . . now it caught up to me and i regret not doing so.

my fist instinct was to get up and get the bike and leave. however i found myself unable to pick myself up even though i kept trying to and then i just laid there and couldnt move when the pain finally set in. Mass people from their houses and surrounding motorists came to my aid. Which surprised me that at least 20 people within seconds could give a **** about someone they didn't know.

On the ride to the hospital the pain kicked in full fledged. I couldn't bear it no matter how much i fought it. They did all sorts of tests to make sure I had no spinal injuries and it was concluded that I just had a broken collar bone. They gave me a couple of shots of morphine, which quite frankly didn't do **** for pain. They did even more test to make sure my nerves (since alot of them were allocated in the area I broke them) weren't damaged. Turns out I get a sling, some perkaset (sp), and valum (sp). Before they released me they gave me a pill and a huge shot of something I forget (wasn't morphine) and that was overkill and made me extremely light headed and almost puked.

My sis, mother, and 3 friends waited patiently and wasted their friday night in the hospital until about 1:30am (i wrecked at 5:30) and i can't thank them enough for waitin patiently.

The thing I learned from this is no matter how careful you are, and i was doing everythin by the book for motorcycling (follow at an appropriate distance, maintain safe speed, etc), **** can still happen. And those that ride, WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!!!! I'd be a squid right now if i didn't have my helmet on and would have road rash to hell and back if not for my heavy leatherjacket.

And on a side note while I was in the trauma unit i overheard they brought in a young girl (20 years old) who was in minor accident but wasn't wearing her seat belt and cracked her noggin on the windshield. When i heard that it kinda eased the pain to know that it could have been much worse for me and i coulda been in her position. Overall I'm extremely happy that i didn't snap my neck or had spinal injury. . . i contribute that to the gear for saving my ass.

BTW, i just checked on my bike. . . its all cosmetic damage. . .

U

·
0 Posts
Squeeeeze the front brake (MSF lol). Glad to hear you're ok and back on the mend.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heres pics. . .

heres my jacket they had to cut off me

I'll have helmet pics shortly

I've been reading "Proficient Motorcycling" since i just got it. . . looks like i'll have time to finish that and "More Proficient Motorcycling"

·
Registered
149 Posts
That sucks dude, glad your ok though...Their sure has been alot of yellow bikes wrecking here lately...I got a yellow cbr also..Makes me nervous being out on it..

I was going about 40 mph yesterday and almost passed up a turn and braked some and shifted down kind of fast and my back tire skid some and I about lost it myself yesterday..Next time I wont shift down just squeez in my clutch and brake with front easy with some back break..Nobody was behind me so I tried to make the turn ...But if someone was following me closely I would of just said hell with the turn and go on...

Heal fast and take care!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
It is a shame to see that nice yellow bike broken up, but good to know that it looks cosmetic and more importantly you are okay. Good luck and heal quickly.

C

·
0 Posts
Man the collarbone is like the worst pain. That bike looks beat up pretty good.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i'm right along side you, man. wasted my wrist and needed surgery wed. get well soon!! sorry to hear about your misfortune. especially when you did everything right.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Glad to hear you're alive and able to type this.... heal up fast, bro!

·
Registered
7 Posts
glad u r o.k.
know what gets me(don't want to piss any one off) but the guys that wear there helmets on the side of the bike.???hmmmm. works better than sliders i guess!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
a couple mistakes i made. . .

#1 i didn't have the brake lever covered
#2 i coulda veered right and had more distance to slow down
#3 i shoulda had a lil more practice emergency stopping and brake control (only had a days practice)
#4 while i had a good distance between me and the front of the car IMO (2-3 car lengths) and i paniced anyhow so that threw it all out window and me over the bars. Perhaps that distance needs to be re-evaluated and it will.
#5 expect the unexpected. not saying im a good driver, but others aren't too.

I was on another board and some of them were looking down on me thinking i was trying to blame the bike or car stoppin suddenly. . . not true, this was a complete error on my part and i share my story with the best interest in mind. and im well aware the risk of having a super sport bike as my first bike and knew the risks going into this and I KNEW going into this I woulda wrecked sooner or later, whether it be a RR or a 250. I've had previous riding experience before but that doesnt make me a veteran. I share this in hopes we all can learn something from it.

I'll be out for 4-6 weeks and i will ride again but with added body armor, finish Hough's books, more practice as if it was myjob, and get my happy ars into a BRC class ASAP.

Bottom line. . . Helmets save lives!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts