Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So nonetheless today has been nothing less than entirely unproductive here in my world, but this is what I discovered and I thought I would share it with all.

In studies of 'survivability' of various garment materials to a 50 MPH ride on asphalt, for example, denim lasted no more than FOUR FEET before wearing through. Kevlar, on the other hand, lasted EIGHTEEN FEET. But standard motorcycle quality (about three times heavier than fashion jacket material) lasted EIGHTY-SIX FEET. That's more than 20 times as effective as your jeans in protecting your hide.

[The tests were reported in the September 1988 issue of Cycle magazine.]

At this moment I have been unable to locate a study which reports the effectiveness of a Draggin Jean or Joe Rocket Steel Jean, but I will continue to look.

I retract everything i previously said regarding jeans vs. leather. I will assume at this point the experiences of people who survived in jeans were most likely extremely lucky.

I would also like to point everyone to this site. It has a wealth of great knowledge for any new riders on what if scenario's and proper reactions. Which is also where I found the above statistics.

http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp

If you want to ride in jeans then consider nothing less than the kevlar reinforced one's. DragginJeans, JR, and Giali all make some.

Lastly, this government website was a real eye opener in regards to motorcycle accidents. Over 86% of motorcycle accidents are deemed rider error. I spent hours reading research findings on this site.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/

So like I said before I apologize for my previous tyraid in the other thread.

John

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I have a lot of phone calls to make to people tonight to share with them my findings today. Starting with my dad.

First question I plan to ask each person is... So if I come off my motorcycle just how long do you expect jeans to last at 50mph on avg?

Personally for me 4 ft isn't enough.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The most disturbing statistic was the survivability of the thong. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Honda4Life, glad you've "seen the light." I've been citing that magazine article for years. (Would you believe I'm even old enough to remember reading that article in the now-defunct Cycle Magazine?) It's an eye-opener, for sure.

The inclusion of Kevlar in the test is indicative of the time the article was written. Full 1-piece Kevalr suits were just making their way to the market at the time, and were touted as the Next Big Thing, due to replace leather as the material of choice for race suits. Well, the article clearly shows that it just doesn't hold up as well in abrasion resistance, and 16 years later, we're still using cowhide (or kangaroo hide) to protect our skin.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
I agree, and I WIN! Hahaha, no, great find dude, and I applaud your effort to look it up. Way to go dude! :thumbup:

...see? We're not all ass-hole over here on the internet, we forgive :bounce:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL nope no thong wearing, but that dirt bike video is pretty damn funny

·
Registered
25 Posts
JetBlast10 said:
you weren't "wrong" mate, you were uneducated so you educated yourself. That's to be applauded, not ridiculed.
I whole heartedly second

You're from Indiana? Ever get on the Indycarz forum?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I didn't read the entire thread, but from I picked out, even though the jeans or thongs you're gayingly :razz: wearing would only last you 4 feet. You have to remember that you probably won't be sliding, but tumbling and spinning. You would probably slide more during a lowside though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
you know..i remember years back i saw a show on tv that showed the structural integrity of different fabrics as it came into contact with the ground. they did slow motion tests of the fabrics as it came into contact with the pavement at different speeds. they used a dummy with sensors to measure the force of impact and the results.

maybe we could write to Myth Busters on the Discovery channel to have them run some fabric tests....but then again...i don't know what myth we would be trying to prove or not prove.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts