Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do any of u guys know why my rps are weak after changing the throttle body, put new thermostat(with old gasket) and i also put 50/50 with water wetter on it.
and now the rpms are weak and it kinda works better after reving it up high?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Not sure why your RP(m)s are weakened after the maintenance.
It does seem strange that you would be able to re-use a thermostat gasket. Typically you use liquid gasket along with the fiber one, which makes them one time use. Why did you re-use it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re-used it because i forgot to order a gasket when i ordered the new thermostat
u know, i went to the store and when i got back home i tried somethin,
here
i left the bike on, minutes later the temp raised up to 221, then the fan kicked in, now the temp went down to 212 and the fan turned off(this is normal)
i still left the bike on and the weird thing is that when the bike hit 221 again the fan kicked on and the rpms went back to weak and low right after the fan kicked on the second time, do u think its battery related? because i think my battery is not that good, it used to die before because my ideling was too low

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why are there some black spots in my coolant, i just noticed that when i took the radiator cap off

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
why are there some black spots in my coolant, i just noticed that when i took the radiator cap off
Is it liquid spots or solid black foreign bodies?

If it's liquid, and I don't want to alarm you, but it could be oil. This would lead you to think it may be the cylinder head gasket. Have you noticed white smoke steadily coming out of the exhaust? Sweet smell when the engine is running?

Alternatively, it could be a reaction between the new and old coolant. Did you flush through with distilled water before putting the new coolant in?

If solid, could be floaters caused by corrosion of the hoses or radiator??? What have you been running in the radiator (pre-mixed coolant, tap water & anti freeze, distilled water & ant freeze, just tap or just distilled water?) Tap water can, over time, corrode the aluminium radiator.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
:needpics:

You're not providing much info for someone that is TROLLing for help.

/thread.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
btw 04 cbr600rr 23.000 miles

yeah now that i think about it, id say it is oil, somebody told me that when a motorcycle overheats u blow the head gasket and oil mixes with ur coolant or something like that.
like a month ago my bike was overheating(252 and numbers were blinkin because i left the bike ideling about 25 minutes) someone told me i blew my head gasket....after that day my bike has been givin me troubles. like it wouldnt turn on with the starter
then i pushed started it and it worked, after this it will start with the starter. then i did the work on it(new thottle body and thermostat)
and the the question about the steam yes it does, its white and even when the temperature is 170 i still see steam.
when i was goin to put the new thermostat i had to take all the coolant out of the system,so i did and i dumped it and then put 50/50 mixed with water wetter without cleanin with distilled water or anything like that (after the thermostat was ready with the old thermostat gasket tho)
so i donk know
i think i got a couple problems here

all u said makes sense rr3, what would u recommend me to do here?
thanks i appreciate the help
i still dont understand why my throttle is weak like really bad, it makes a weird noise

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
what pics would be needed here?
lol, thats what i was thinking.

your bike shouldnt over heat if your coolant system is working properly.

but i would suspect that you have some air in the system. open the cap, fire up the bike, and once its upto temp start to squeeze the lower rad hose, you should get some bubbles in the rad.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It couldn't more definitely be a blown head gasket. Getting up to 252 will have done that.
Explains the steam, and the oil in your coolant.

Check the head for damage/cracking/deformation. If you don't know how to do this, consider taking it to a reputable shop for inspection.

If your engine is somehow not critically damaged, buy a gallon of distilled water from your local grocery store for $1, and use maybe a fifth of it to flush your cooling system. If you're in an area that experiences freezing temps, be sure to use antifreeze in the correct proportion when you refill it.
I'm guessing your bike is leaking/steaming still in some way? If so, please refrain from riding it until you get it fixed, that's a serious safety hazard.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
I'm guessing your bike is leaking/steaming still in some way? If so, please refrain from riding it until you get it fixed, that's a serious safety hazard.
Make sure you replace the cylinder head gasket before riding much more or more damage could occur. You will also need to change your oil and coolant as it sounds as though each will have the other mixed in it).

The gasket is cheap to replace yourself but is a complete pita. If you're not confident then take it to a garage you trust.

lol, thats what i was thinking.

your bike shouldnt over heat if your coolant system is working properly.

but i would suspect that you have some air in the system. open the cap, fire up the bike, and once its upto temp start to squeeze the lower rad hose, you should get some bubbles in the rad.
Don't do this until the head gasket is fixed.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Pics of coolant with suspected oil contamination.
The strange noise could be from loss of compression in the cylinder where the gasket is ruptured. Any backfiring?

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
I am sure there will be coolant in the oil you got serious issues bro do not run the bike until
the head gasket leak is fixed otherwise you will blow up that motor

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as soon as u guys told me it was probably oil and coolant mixed i took it to the shop
the mechanic told me it was coolant and oil, he said that the day the temp was up to 252 1- it blew the head gasket.
2-then the thermostat gasket isnt good so its leakin from there too and the gasket of the thermostat case thats why it was leakin alot
3-another problem the battery he tested it and the voltage was 10 or somethin like that when normally its 14 or 13
u guys are awesome thanks for the help i appreciate it
Merry christmas
one little question: i didnt have a licence plate light on my bike so i got this L.E.D from auto parts and just because i didnt know which cables are for the licence plate, i connected it to my tail light, it works perfect, the question is can this cause any problems?

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
So will that shop do the head gasket job for you or you are doing it yourself ?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
So will that shop do the head gasket job for you or you are doing it yourself ?
Considering the thermostat gasket install results, this task may be better off in the hands of someone with experience.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
i really want to do it, just to learn more, and i actually told the mechanic to do the work but i asked if i could watch,the mechanic said that will bother him but i told him i just wanted to learn so he actually told me i could help if i wanted to which is good, this guy used to be a motogp mechanic, hes got actually got a lot of experience...i have a question when i put a new head gasket do i need to put a new cylinder head cover?? i think he said something about a cover that u have to replace when u change the head gasket

·
Registered
24 Posts
+1 on the head gasket, do you not have a fan? you should never let you temp get that high

·
Registered
135 Posts
when i put a new head gasket do i need to put a new cylinder head cover?? i think he said something about a cover that u have to replace when u change the head gasket
Maybe he said that you'll need to replace the valve cover gasket while you're going in; that'd make sense to me.

And yes, I agree with WRM, the 252 temp is a little suspicious. It'd have to get REAL hot, but I guess 15 minutes could possibly outwork your fan.

I'm glad that you're going to be involved; try not to take it personally if he seems impatient or annoyed. I learned all of my skill through "helping" and practicing, and when you're super experienced, it can be easy to forget how difficult things seem at first. You'll learn a lot!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts