·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matt99DECH said:
plain and simple...

its a scam. Nobody in their right mind would sell a R7 for that cheap
That's what I was thinking, scam.
But you never know, maybe some rich punk doesn't know what he has.

The R7 was used by Nori Haga in the World Superbike Championship, this bike is real close to the paint scheme anyway. I love the looks, pretty rare breed of bike, mostly only race teams got their hands on them first anyway.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Gotta be a scam.

BlackHRCRR, R7 = very very very limited production bike (500?) that Yamaha built for the sole purpose of winning races. Only reason they had street stuff (lights, etc,.) was for FIM homologation rules for WSBK.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think it's a scam because he's providing VIN # but I think he forgot to add one more 0 to the asking price. $45,000 and not $4,500 sounds about right for the R7 with all the parts.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well, the auction lists the seller's supposed name and location, which happens to here in San Francisco. So I did a Google on the name (it's not exactly a common name, mind you) as well as the VIN, and I came up with the following:

- The same bike is listed on a Canadian classified ads website, at the same price, by the same supposed seller

- The supposed seller is a young woman who just graduated from the San Francisco Academy of Art University this past May.

- The same bike, same VIN, is listed on a motorcycle classified ad site with the same mileage, same price, but specifies a location of Washington.

I'm sorry, if this doesn't smell like a scam, I don't know what does.

Maybe I'll try contacting the "seller", since the're "supposedly" in my area, to see if they show the bike. If they balk, we'll know it's a scam.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
that's a good idea quasi888, be sure to keep us posted on your results.

i also think it's a scam. though i saw one on ebay with all seller info provided and no reserve that went for $5,000. i'm pretty sure it wasn't a scam. he had his number, a vin and everything.

but this one doesn't provide a number, and without that, i'd say it's bull. a person can put up a bike with a legitimate VIN number, and collect tons of money from the people "buying" it, and without the number, you'll never hear from them. they made it seem like it could be true, but it's a scam all the way.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
and what's the deal with R7's anyway? nothing special in my opinion. i'm sure they aren't even that fast anymore, compared to newer bikes, and it really just doesn't seem worth it to get something that's nearly 7 years old (or older) for so much money, when you can get a brand new bike for WAAAAYYY less that's WAAAAYYY faster. just doesn't make sense to me...

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I don't know jack about the R7. But I do know Mom gave me great instincts. :mrgreen: It's a SCAM!! Nobody in their right mind would post all of that stuff for a bike with "750" miles for $4,500. I don't care what year model it is. Don't let these SOB'n con men pray on you with a pretty picture and a cheap price. Be smart! ;-)

Tim

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
there's a guy here in atlanta that paid around 20,000 for his r7 and it's NICE!!! i've seen them for sale below 30k before.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
R7 are very very fast. Graves in 2002 used an R7 disguised as an R1 to run in the Formula Xtreme class. It bust such a hole in every other teams a$$ the first few races of the season that the other teams protested suspecting something fowl. It came out that the Graves team was using an R7 to run against the other 929's and 1000s of the Formula Xtreme class. Because Yamaha didn't make enough of them (R7) in regular production, they were not legal per the AMA rules for Formula Xtreme.

http://www.motorcyclenewswire.com/news.cfm?newsid=1992

·
Registered
218 Posts
600RR_NM said:
and what's the deal with R7's anyway? nothing special in my opinion. i'm sure they aren't even that fast anymore, compared to newer bikes, and it really just doesn't seem worth it to get something that's nearly 7 years old (or older) for so much money, when you can get a brand new bike for WAAAAYYY less that's WAAAAYYY faster. just doesn't make sense to me...
:roll: sorry, not being a jerk but if you have to ask you dont understand

;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not to suggest that I think this is anything but a scam, but it's possible. It really could be some uninformed non-rider who somehow ended up with this treasure and has no idea what it's worth. It happens.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts