Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a passenger on my CBR for the first time...I've done about 600 miles on it. I have 10 years of riding experience, so it wasn't newbie with a passenger. But I'm still not a 100% on corners with the CBR. But oddly enough, I found that today riding with a passenger I didn't notice any difficulty with the corners....until I dropped her back off at home...then on the next moderate lean turn...the bike wobbled. And I'm sure the problem is me and not the bike....I'm just not used to cornering a sportbike yet.

I phoned my buddy who rides a Kwak 10R, he agreed with me immediately saying he knew what I was talking about....and that he noticed the same thing. I'm confused :???: .

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
You probably are a bit more cautious with a passenger, so you do not charge into corners. When you hit the corner with a passenger you are more than likely rolling on the gas and letting the suspension work.

ALone, you probably ride in deeper and faster, you tense and over think, brake etc.... then you become unstable mid corner.

Just a guess, but I think that it is as simple as that.

·
Registered
557 Posts
It sounds like hondaf4iguy hit the nail on the head but it could also be your suspension set-up ? How much do you weigh and what was the total weight of you and passenger combined?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
yep-the stock suspension is set stiff. the extra weight of the passenger allowed the suspension more travel and also helped settle the bike better. You need to set the sag on the suspension for your weight. that will help. the suspension will also "break-in" with use. I noticed around 4500-5000 miles on the bike that the suspension settled. I read as much on here as well.

H

·
0 Posts
i need to adjust my suspension this year... well adjust it properly that is...

i am not a fan of the pasenger riding thing... i would much rather ride solo...

·
Banned
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I weigh next to nothing. I'm 6 foot and weigh roughly 145 pounds...which isn't even on the charts. My passenger was a thin 5'1 girl...so I'm starting to think the added weight helped with my current suspension set up....hmm. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think dropping down the rear preload a # will help, it is probably oversprung for your weight. drop it a notch and try it

·
Bike Of The Month - 09/05
1,609 Posts
Humm..
In my opinion I agree with most of the things that have been said in this thread. But.... here's my opinion based on my expirience.

When you say that you felt the bike more stable when cornening with a passenger... all I can say is... It's true and false.

True because, when you have a passenger, your rear suspension is more compressed and therefor leveled with the front.
False, because usualy when you have a passenger we may drive a bit more in a defensive and less agressive way.

What to do?

Here's a small tip for the less experienced.
When you try to curve hard... try to do some braking with the rear brake.
This will force the rear suspension to compress and therefor more stability will be given.

Even though you should try to check your suspension.
Quick way to setup the "spring charge" (sorry about my terrible english, but I do not know the right term in english).

With your bike stoped mesure the distance beetween 2 points (in example for the rear. The top of the tire and the exhaust)
Now sit on the bike and mesure it again.
You'll notice that the mesure is more small than that then 1st one.
This compression should not be 25% bigger than the suspension full-corse.

Many apologies for my terrible english, the explanation was a bit confusing... :cry: but just trying to help.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Mordeth said:
I weigh next to nothing. I'm 6 foot and weigh roughly 145 pounds...which isn't even on the charts. My passenger was a thin 5'1 girl...so I'm starting to think the added weight helped with my current suspension set up....hmm. Thanks guys.
well then I weigh nothing...at 120#. :oops: . I think the suspension is set for a 165# rider? maybe a bit less...dont quote me. I think the added weight made the suspension work as intended.

I had an interesting thing happen to me. I rode my bike for about 5500 miles before I took a passenger, a 165# passenger (long story). After that my suspension felt softer. Much softer even though I did nothing. My guess is that my weight alone was not enough to "break in" the suspension and the extra weight did it. Just my theory.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
You just feel more planted on the pavement with the extra weight is all. It is a mental thing. Start steering faster and harder when your alone and you will soon see the bike's real handling.

·
Banned
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went for a ride today. One of the guys adjusted my rear shocks for me....he adjusted the lower thingy...ahem...he said it was set at 5...and he changed it to 3....whatever that means....but it didn't seem to 'wobble' as much or at all in the corners today...but I'm also getting better at it.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Mig said:
Quick way to setup the "spring charge" (sorry about my terrible english, but I do not know the right term in english).
For future reference Mig, I think you are trying to describe "sag."

Sag is the distance the spring compresses with weight.

Static Sag is the distance the spring compresses with the weight of the bike.

Dynamic Sag is the distance the spring compresses with the weight of the rider.

Total sag is the distance the spring compresses in total.

The word "sag" in english means to "lower" or "drop"...so, for instance, when you are tired and you do not stand up very tall, in english we might say that "Your shoulders are sagging, you must be tired."

Or another example, when women get older, their breasts will begin to sag. This is quite unattractive.
:D

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Mordeth said:
Went for a ride today. One of the guys adjusted my rear shocks for me....he adjusted the lower thingy...ahem...he said it was set at 5...and he changed it to 3....whatever that means....but it didn't seem to 'wobble' as much or at all in the corners today...but I'm also getting better at it.

The "lower thingy" that your friend adjusted is the "pre-load adjuster" I think. Pre-load counter-acts added weight so that your ride height isn't affect by the added weight. In an oversimplified attempt to get people to understand their preload do this: Imagine sitting on your bike and your suspension compresses...then, imagine adding extra spacers between the spring and your bike to raise your bike back up...this is what pre-load adjuster does. The spring is still compressed...it just starts compressing at a different spot.

The reason your bike feels more stable now that your friend set the pre-load lower is that your rear end isn't as high up anymore when you sit on the bike. This changes the angle with which your front fork points towards the ground. Generally speaking, the steeper the angle with which the fork points towards the ground, the more twitchy the suspension is. The shallower the angle of the forks, the harder it is to turn the bike into a turn. The "wobble" you get is partly because of the steeper steering angle.

Additionally, this also describes why your steering is more stable with your girlfriend on the back: If your preload was set too high to begin with, adding the extra weight of your girlfriend would actually help to compress the rear suspension so that your steering geometry would be more natural.

Of course, the "lower thingy" you are describing might well be a totally different adjuster such as the rebound or whatever, and your wobble might be like a pogo-effect or whatever...cuz really, you weren't very desriptive with your post ;-)

·
Banned
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, umm...as far as I know there are two adjusters on the rear shocks. One that is by that cannister thingy. And one which is much lower..almost behind the chain...he adjusted the lower one. So is that the pre-load?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mordeth...there are 2 adjustments on the front and the rear...I had tweaked my suspension to my riding style when I had the bike...I'd be happy to help you get that sorted next time we meet on a ride....besides, it will help that I know how the bike feels since i've ridden it!....for your weight, everything is probably too hard....but reducing everything will not solve everything....we can start from original Honda settings and go from there!...cheers

·
Bike Of The Month - 09/05
1,609 Posts
Thanks a lot for the help Aeteocles..... :oops:
Stilll learning and updating knowledge. :bounce:

C

·
0 Posts
Was this before or after the super glue?? LOL :lol2: :twisted:

:bitchslap:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts