Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok here is my story. I took everything off my bike to have it painted. Put it all back together and now I have two problems. It cranks over really hard and only for a few seconds. I got a new battery and it does the same thing. Tried a couple other batteries and still the same. Other problem is I decided to pop start it and it started but cylinders 2 3 are not firing. It did start and run when I was putting it back together. The fuel pump primes. I switched 1 and 2 and also 4 and 3 coil packs and it's still the same. Then I unpluged them just to confirm neither were firing.
What kind of tests can I do to try to figure this out. I'm lost!
2004 7500 miles. Stock with speeds hauler

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really need help with the starting issue. I think I can figure out my cylinders not firing problem

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
your bike was running proper before you took it apart to have it painted correct?
think of everything that you messed with to do this.
is it possible that you have disconnected something you are unaware of, or that you have not reconnected something you thought that you did. . .
generally when these things happen in this situation its a very simple fix.
take a minute or two to think about everything that you did.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya it ran after I put it together but it cranked hard. The bike sat all winter. I didn't get to ride it because I was waiting for a new chain and sprockets. I'm almost positive I have everthing hooked up. What could my hard crank problem be. It only cranks for ten seconds at most

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
well a common problem with storage is the quality of fuel. that seems to be the first thing to go. did you use a fuel stabalizer? have you drained the old or run it through to put fresh fuel in?
some poeple do not use additives but i use seafoam, i have always had success with it.

to get the timeline straight, correct if i am wrong:
you took apart bike, sent parts for paint, it was stored for winter, you put everything back together and then had these issues?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya the bike was parked for the winter took it apart to paint it a month ago. I started it a couple times with no plastics on but I had the hard crank problem so I thought it as the battery. the hard crank is my big problem that I don't understand

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
when you say hard crank what do you mean.
does it turn over roughly, or sluggishly. are you saying its just hard to turn over.
i dont fully understand what you mean

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It rolls over like the battery is almost dead maybe Three or four cranks and then dead. Maybe ten seconds and then nothing. I have tried three batteries

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
ok.
you said you also switched some coil packs around. do you know if it was the same two cylinders not firing or did the misfire move along with the packs?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok im an idiot i switched the two coil packs. that part is good now. but it shill wont start. i got the engine covers painted. could i have messed something up when putting the cover back on. i can start it if i hook cables up to the car but its still not rolling over very fast. my battery still has 12.8 volts and drops to nine when cranking but back up to 12 when i let off the button/ i dont know what to do

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
well its hard to think that its the starter going out , or something mechanical.

it seems more plausible that when you took the flastics off that you messed up an electrical connection.
get a volt meter and start at the battery and work your way through the systems. or at least take a close look to see if any of them are loose..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where are the engine and frame grounds? Is it possible I forgot to hook one up it I have a poor connection

·
Registered
901 Posts
dropping to 9 volts is a big drop on the battery . more than it should be . you need to have the battery tested . if you had the case covers off the crank sensor is in there . if you pinched the wire or didnt install the sensor properly the bike will not run properly or at all all without this sensor in the perfect position . id look there and have the battery tested

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bike runs great but it start. I jumped to car battery and it starts. But it still rolls over slow. That's why I'm thinking ground issue

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
these types of probs are annoying, haha. i hope you can find the prob bro.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts