Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this was originally posted on .com. sorry fellas, that's just home for me... hope you don't mind... i just wanted to share this with you guys as well...

----

it was a nice saturday morning, with temps in the mid 70's and not a cloud in the sky. i'm on the backroads of highway 6 along couer d'alene lake taking a nice trip up to the city with a few buddies. we all had to be somewhere that day, and it just turned out that we were all going the same direction. so we made a ride out of it. no speed, no hooligan acts. just a nice ride up to the business meeting, the family reunion, or the friend's wedding with the riding buddies.

the lake off to the left was crystal clear. the skyscraper trees loomed above, letting in just the right amount of sunlight and fanning in just the right kind of breeze to make the ride one of the nicest i've ever been on. the road curved left and right rhythmically and everything flowed like water. the pavement - a two lane backroad highway - was new and smooth and cut through the occasional small town and groups of lakeside cabins. going along slow enough to be ignored by that local sheriff around the bend but fast enough to be fun and do an occasional hang-off.

it couldn't get any better.

so it got worse.

i had slowed down below the speed limit, taking note of a 'children at play' sign. ignoring my buddies as they continued at their own speed, i watched them click away and disappear around that right-hander. as i leaned into that same bend, i picked up some speed and started to accelerate back up to my pace. a quick left hander up ahead and i set myself up to take it with grace. it was a nice left hander, smooth and constant. encoved into the side of the lakeside cliff, it was bordered by shady trees and a nice wide gravel runoff.

it was then that i realized that i was taking in the scenery a little too much.

before i realized it, i was on top of that gravel runoff, having run the curve wide, not paying attention to my riding. automatically, fingers squeezed the spiegler-lined brakes - a big mistake. the bike disappeared from under me, and i slammed down onto my left shoulder. the bike yanked itself from my grip as the left side fairing dug into the ground and flipped the bike over its front end and landed itself on its right side and continued to slide after me. after about a hundred feet of sliding along the length of the gravel runoff i finally came to a stop at the base of the cliff face with the bike just a few feet behind me.

i put my face on the ground. "****." a second later i jumped to my feet and pulled an impersonation of aaron yates' fit in that incident with fania. when the flailing of arms, punching of the ground and cliff, and the breathless flow of swearing subsided, i picked up my baby to see if she was okay. it was official. i had crashed.

damage assessment -
me - i came out without a single scratch except for maybe a bruised shoulder (can't tell, it just hurts) and shattered-to-bits ego. my astars dyno jacket looks absolutely unblemished other than a tiny scuff on the left shoulder. my helmet is all scratched up on the back side, but there wasn't an impact - so still usable.

bike - i need a few new things: front fairing, fairing stay, fairing brackets, mirrors, frame sliders (worried about the engine mount and frame being bent) and possibly a new subframe (which is what i am most worried about). all the other stuff i can buff out and repaint. possibly a new metallic red color? maybe.

lesson learned -
******* pay attention and look where you're going.

all in all it wasn't that bad of a crash compared to the stories i've heard on this board. but a crash is a crash and it's a lesson learned.

i want to thank you guys and gals for all you've taught and advised me and everyone else here and all the experiences you've shared. because if it wasn't for any of that knowledge i may have been worse off.

now someone give me a good deal on parts. 8)[/url]

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
besides the mirrors I had to look closely to see the damage. not a bad result if you have crashed. good to hear the gear worked and you are relatively unhurt. Thats the way it should be. Good thing you had gravel runoff and didnt go over the cliff...

lucky.
heal up.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
gald to hear you are ok sorry about your bike but bikes can always be repaired way easier than human bodies so keep your chin up you are a lucky one not like others that had the misfortune of death or losing a limb
like my buddy josh ( GOD BLESS YOU JOSH ) read his story here is the link
http://www.600rr.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=134989#134989 as far as parts it looks to me that your subframe is bent you can post a post in the wanted forum for the parts you are looking for also go thru the items for sale forum you might find what you are looking for snd go from there
i am so happy you made it thru that saturday and learned a valuable lesson good luck man and like i said keep your chin up and god bless

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do count my blessings - as pissed that i am - i know that i'm lucky. and again, i thank you all for sharing your experiences and advice. for all those that have experienced worse, prayers go to you.

as for parts, the bike works just like it did before. the damage is all cosmetic - even the subframe. so in time, she will be back as new. hopefully before i put her away for the winter...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like everything is going to turn out well, all things considered. The most important thing is that you are ok. You will get the bike repaired.

Truely good that you can learn from this experience. Just one thing that I have to add. Replace the helmet! You already stated that it has some scratches. Even if you don't remember taking a heavy blow to your lid, it still could be damaged. If there is ever the slightest sign of damage after an accident, always replace the helmet.

Glad you are here to share your experience with us :smile:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BigTuna said:
glad you are okay....it doesn't look that bad. see my crash pics from this past saturday

http://www.600rr.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14504
hey, beefcake. :D

yeah, you wadded that up pretty bad, huh? i'm glad you're okay and all you have are sprained ankles...

like i said, i know that i'm lucky. but a crash is a crash and every one will complain about hurting their baby...

and as for my helmet, i will get it replaced before i plan on going out for any long rides other than to the shop and back for the damage estimate... thanks for the concern, f20.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
BigTuna

My set of swing arm spools is down at the local stealership to be picked up. The Lift that I use is a universal with the rubber pads and doesn't require the spools. I was going to install them to help protect the swing arm in case of a dump but after seeing this

I am wondering if I should or not. Are they supposed to break off, do they offer any swing arm protection or not??

Sorry to hear about your bike though, Damn that sucks!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
sorry to hear about your mishap. i feel your pain. i had a little off track excursion this Sunday.

http://600rr.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=162977

hey, your tail section looks about like mine except mine's twisted up just a bit... i'm a little concnerned about the subframe too, but i think it should be fine riding it the way it is. it might be a different story if you ride a passenger often, but since i don't i'll probably just leave it bent... it shouldn't effect my riding.

i would recomend you get rid of those vortex sliders and get a set of moriwakies... i'm pretty sure our bikes crashed similarly since we both have the same damage, and the moriwakies came through great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
what kind of swingarm sliders were you using? because i'm looking to buy a set of spools/sliders for the swingarm this summer so i can use it for a rearstand. any suggestions on better ones that don't rip the swingarm away? :???:

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Damn...are you a writer? Very descriptive...way too descriptive for reading this at 2:45am...but that's my fault, and not yours...

Glad you came out ok, welcome to the club...bike doesn't look too bad either

1 - 13 of 13 Posts