Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh am I ever pissed off. I am out a couple of hundred bucks and frustrated as hell because I'm missing my trackday tomorrow (which I'm also losing money on).

My story:

I'm at the track a few weeks ago and didn't pass inspection because my rear caliper wasn't sitting in its groove in the swingarm. I take the rear wheel off and try to install the caliper where its supposed to go, but it wouldn't go. I had to force it in place, and literally have the caliper jammed up against the swingarm. A couple of guys with more experience knew something was seriously f'd up with it, but couldn't pin point what it was.

I force it in place, pass inspection and ride the day.

I leave my bike at a shop today to get it on the dyno to tune a PC3, and they call me saying they think its too dangerous for them to do. Why? Because my rear wheel is on an angle about 1/16th of an inch. Why is it on an angle? Because the rear caliper was forcing leftwards due to it being jammed so far forward. Clearly there is something mismatched here.

They come to the conclusion that there is an 03-04 swingarm on my 05' RR. WTF!? I did some research and realized that this is true. My rear caliper wont sit properly because some ******* who previously owned this bike irresponsibly installed the wrong swingarm and I'm having to pay for it now. :cursin:

How I've been riding this bike for so long like this beats me. Its not until I get my hands dirty and really get involved in taking apart my bike that I start to really understand every little part on it. Its a good learning experience, but frustrating and expensive....

D

·
0 Posts
Um, you sure that it's just not the chain adjusters being adjusted incorrectly?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I would get in contact with the :retard:pO and calmly slap him upside the head.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Demented. Believe me, that's the first thing I checked. I changed the chain to and tested to see how it would fit if I added a link, pulling the whole wheel further back. Its way too far back with an extra link. I should have taken pics.

What makes this even worse?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I had always thought that while the 05/06 swingarm is lighter than the 03/04 that both swingarms were interchangeable with eachother...

I swear I read somewhere that even though both had different part numbers, that the fitment was the same, ie bearings, spacers, etc.

I'm pretty sure the OEM wheels bit 03-06 right?

hmmm, guess i should do more research.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had always thought that while the 05/06 swingarm is lighter than the 03/04 that both swingarms were interchangeable with eachother...

I swear I read somewhere that even though both had different part numbers, that the fitment was the same, ie bearings, spacers, etc.

I'm pretty sure the OEM wheels bit 03-06 right?

hmmm, guess i should do more research.
The most noticeable difference is the chain adjusters. They are completely different. The next would have to be the slot that the rear caliper slides in to (inside of swingarm). Even a slight difference causes the caliper to not fit right. I'm sure the entire shape of the swingarm is the same, and thats why they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
that sucks man. at least you got it figured out before you got hurt or something

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Its not until I get my hands dirty and really get involved in taking apart my bike that I start to really understand every little part on it. Its a good learning experience, but frustrating and expensive....
Thats how we all learn. Undressing them. Sorry to hear about the mixup. You can find a 05/06 swingarm on here or on ebay for cheap. Ger her fixed up and back on the road.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
You need to look at something else being the problem. The swingarm is not the problem unless it's bent, you can go 03-06 06-03 all day long. Sounds like your spacer for your rear wheel is not correct and causing the caliper to be miss aligned or the caliper bracket is different depending on the year bike. I have an 04 bike, 06 swingarm and a 07 rear caliper with the 07 caliper bracket. It's interchangeable. Post a picture of your swingarm/caliper. I think it is something in your wheel spacing that is causing this. T

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need to look at something else being the problem. The swingarm is not the problem unless it's bent, you can go 03-06 06-03 all day long. Sounds like your spacer for your rear wheel is not correct and causing the caliper to be miss aligned or the caliper bracket is different depending on the year bike. I have an 04 bike, 06 swingarm and a 07 rear caliper with the 07 caliper bracket. It's interchangeable. Post a picture of your swingarm/caliper. I think it is something in your wheel spacing that is causing this. T
Hm. I'll take pics. The caliper bracket won't align with the swingarm so I'm assuming the swingarms for different years are different. The adjusters on the 03-04 are much different too.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It has to be that the caliper bracket is an 05 and it doesn't match with the 03-04 swingarm.

D

·
0 Posts
The 03-04 and 05-06 swingarms are different, but the measurements are the same.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
The bracket might not even be for an RR, pictures will shed some light. T

·
Registered
735 Posts
:+1:

Hmmm, I was pretty sure that the 03/04 swingarm is interchangeable with the 05/06. Might very well be a spacer problem.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would take pictures but I took off the chain and they really would serve no justice now. I tried taking a pic of the inside of the swingarm but I couldn't get anything good.

Let me explain what doesn't match up.

The caliper bracket has a piece that is supposed to line up with the slot in the swingarm. When I try and put the caliper in the slot, it doesn't match up. It sits a little high and forward. Something is clearly mismatched. You guys say that the swingarms are interchangeable. This leads me to believe that the caliper bracket must match the swingarm model in order to fit well. My first step is to locate a bracket or entire caliper and try that.

I'm going to try and take a picture again.

Your 07' caliper and bracket matches the 06' swingarm with no problems?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts