Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

OK so I decided to change the pads on my 03 since I'm going down to Jennings for the week-end (I'm from Montreal :retard: so yeah 24h drive). I thought it would be stupid easy, seriously brake pads huh! Well it all turned into hell when 3 out of 4 bolts stripped like they we're made of paper... I have no idea what the previous owner did, but those m*othef*ckers 5mm allen are stuck ...

I WANT my EBC HH for Jennings and I'll be leaving on Thursday morning... what's my best option? bolt extractor?

·
Registered
451 Posts
i know it's after the fact, but did you use an allen head wrench? i've noticed that when i use one, it would sometimes start slipping causing the damn bolts to start stripping. i've since quit using allen head wrenches, and started using torx bits. they have more points to them, so they fit much much better. i haven't had a problem ever since.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Holy ****!!! Someone must have sold you on Jennings cause thats a serious commute.

i know it's after the fact, but did you use an allen head wrench? started using torx bits. they have more points to them, so they fit much much better. i haven't had a problem ever since.
:+1:Right tool for the job. You need torx bits for the torx bolts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy ****!!! Someone must have sold you on Jennings cause thats a serious commute.

:+1:Right tool for the job. You need torx bits for the torx bolts.

Well it's pretty much winter here so no more bike/track...

I didn't touch the torx bolt, it really is the allen ones, and I used a 5mm allen bit.

·
Registered
856 Posts
What about using a dremel? Use the dremel to make a line directly over the top of the bolt heads that you can get a flat head screw driver + vice grip leverage with?

Had something similar happen when I was taking apart my case covers. The dremel and flat head screw driver saved me, just ordered new bolts after.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Well it's pretty much winter here so no more bike/track...

I didn't touch the torx bolt, it really is the allen ones, and I used a 5mm allen bit.

I should have elaborated. I knew the torx bolts were to seperate the caliper. Maybe youre not getting the wrench seated into the head of the bolt. It looks like youve got a bit left in there. Prob has loctite on those.

Try tapping the allen key into the hole so its fully seated and make sure youre not putting any twisting motion on the wrench. Straight up/ down.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
What about using a dremel? Use the dremel to make a line directly over the top of the bolt heads that you can get a flat head screw driver + vice grip leverage with?

Had something similar happen when I was taking apart my case covers. The dremel and flat head screw driver saved me, just ordered new bolts after.
I do the exact same thing when I get striped bolts. it works well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It's not a pic of my front caliper, just a random pic. It's the 2 bolts/pins inside the caliper, holding the pads, not the ones holding the caliper to the shock. Not sur I can use a dremel :s

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
You don't use a full sized cut off wheel. I wear it down with a grinding stone or anything that will make the cut off wheel smaller, then make the notch. You might have to make a few of them to make a good notch in the bolt head. I also use many layers of tape to protect the area around the bolt head.

If that isn't something you want to do you can try an easy out. At that size it can be difficult, but if you drill dead center of the bolt it might work. Likely it will not leave you with enough of a bolt to work.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had limited sucess with the slot/flat head screwdriver/ vise grip method but its difficult to get the slot deep enough, screwdiver tight enough, and enough leverage with the vise grip with out stripping your new slot.

Your best bet is to take a slighly bigger torx bit, mini sledge, pound that b!tch into the slots. Then try again with a wrench to break the bolts loose. But learn from your first mistake!!! If you feel any slippage at all don't sit there focking with it till you strip it again. Use an alternative method. The two that I always use are heat and shock. Grab yourself a butane torch from home depot for 20 bucks and cook that bolt till its good and hot (2-4 minutes). Then try to break it loose again. On some bolts (generally when they are rust locked like suspension bolts on cars) it helps to give it a solid whap after you heat it up with a mini sledge to break the threads loose.

Don't be scared to add more heat and repeat, just watch the slippage. Patience and creativity will break that sucker loose.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
a torx bit will fit those allen head bolts and i find them to be more snug. you just have to find the right size... i have this set and it's worked great for me.

Craftsman 83 pc. Insert Bit Set
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00926535000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5
+1

Get one that's just a touch to big and hit it in there with a hammer, the corners bite into the bolt and hold it good and firm.
:+1::iamwith: This works.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The bolts were already stripped and I didn't want to break them because no one had them in stock... Anyway I'm now in Jennings and I'll swap calipers, my friend had two laying around lol :p

·
Registered
103 Posts

:+1:

Use that method to remove the DB Killer on my Devil, the stupid current owner (that's me :crackup:) stripped the bolt, works wonder

1 - 20 of 20 Posts