Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few weeks of trying to figure out what the smoke from the exhaust was, and finding out that my cylinder walls and pistons were scored. I bought a used engine, and this entire week I've been messing with it. It finally came to an end when it started up no problem this evening. A few things....

I posted a thread earlier today about my header flanges being bent. I ended up pulling them off again, buying new crush gaskets, and torquing it down with the wrench the entire way until I hit 9ft lbs. They still bent a little bit as pictured below.

I also came across one other thing. What the hell does this red plug go to? I could not for my life figure out where it goes. In the picture it's routed wrong, and I re-routed it where it's supposed to but I'm still stumped. There's nowhere on my rear cowl that has a plug for this???

Anyway, I want to thank this entire forum for the help along the way. I've mostly referred to the 03-04 600rr manual, but have consulted on this forum about a dozen times, and done at least 100 different searches. I'd like to give special thanks to Demented for his help as well because I probably PMed him at least 10 times with inquiries in order to not clog this forum up with my threads. This was my first time ever pulling an engine on anything, and although it went smoothly I learned a lot. I've pretty much learned just about everything about every little piece on this motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Awesome dude, congrats!! Glad to hear everything went well and you got it all figured out and running :bigclap: Definitely a huge feeling of accomplishment, huh?? You take her for a :cruising: yet??

I'm not quite sure on the plug... usually I'd say license plate light when there's an open plug at the rear, since that's usually one of the first lights to go, lol. But that's too many wires for that.... not sure

D

·
0 Posts
The red plug is where the DLC plug. It's for use with diagnostic tools to read the ECU.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The red plug is where the DLC plug. It's for use with diagnostic tools to read the ECU.
Well damn... y'all get a fancy ass plug on your bikes for diag, lol. All mine has is a little 2 wire jumper to flash the codes out through the FI light. Good stuff!

D

·
0 Posts
Well damn... y'all get a fancy ass plug on your bikes for diag, lol. All mine has is a little 2 wire jumper to flash the codes out through the FI light. Good stuff!
The fancy plug does the same thing. It's easier to just jump the SCS line, mostly because the HDS unit is over $2,000; though $2,000 isn't bad compared to the $20,000 one I used everyday for cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts