Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Open it up for discussion here.) By now everyone has heard about the Marine who shot an insurgent that was faking to be dead. Well, I for one can't believe the media is making such a big stink out of this. Here is a small article:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/111604_iraq_Marine_shoots.html

Look how vague that is. I mean if you are going to present the news at least incorporate as many details as you can. Did you know that he himself had been shot in the face by one of the bastards the day before. The guy was back in action the next day!

I mean they are completely bastardizing the whole situation. Here is another one:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/After-Saddam/Marine-shoots-his-prisoner-dead/2004/11/16/1100574469389.html?oneclick=true

Notice the title of the article "Marine Shoots His Prisoner Dead" WTF? They really need to stop letting the facking media go with us places. All the pieces of shiat do is stir up trouble. At least some broadcast companies didn't air it.

I also believe his buddy was killed b/c he tried to move a dead body that was booby trapped with explosives. I think that would make me a little skeptical too about dealing with the dead. I am still trying to find documentation on his friend to be able to confirm this.

Do you think he should be in trouble over this? I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be in trouble but I can certainly understand his rational.

·
Registered
337 Posts
During a report about that incident, the local news read some viewer submitted e-mail, and someone wrote in. "Next time a Marine shoots an insurgent with the cameras there, they should do the cameramen too."

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have to agree the media more or less screws crap up just for ratings. I hate to even watch the news anymore.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
havoc said:
Notice the title of the article "Marine Shoots His Prisoner Dead" WTF? They really need to stop letting the facking media go with us places. All the pieces of shiat do is stir up trouble. At least some broadcast companies didn't air it.
A radio talk show host Lars Larson, had a good point about keeping the media in the action. Our media is there to counter the reports from Al Jazera. If our media weren't allowed to travel with the troops, they would be using footage and or BS stories provided by the iraqi's.

As far as the shooting goes, the soldier was stressed and tense, It may not have been legal what he did but War is War.

·
Registered
932 Posts
(Open it up for discussion here.) By now everyone has heard about the Marine who shot an insurgent that was faking to be dead. Well, I for one can't believe the media is making such a big stink out of this. Here is a small article:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/111604_iraq_Marine_shoots.html

Look how vague that is. I mean if you are going to present the news at least incorporate as many details as you can. Did you know that he himself had been shot in the face by one of the bastards the day before. The guy was back in action the next day!
I am not sure what you are taking issue with? The fact that the soldier got shot in the face and was back in action the next day, while courageous, does not give him entitlement to "unjustified" killing". I am not saying my viewpoint is that he shouldn't have killed the man. However, I don't think your statement that he was shot and therefore he can shoot anyone, in a similar situation, is very plausible. In addition, the news story has no coloration. It is simply a statement of facts. If they had said something to the effect of "the marine brutally shot an innocent man", then yes, I would see your point. All the story says is that there was a shooting and they don't know whether or not it was justified. That is all.

On a general note, the mainstream media likes to sensationalize. This causes all sorts of problems; recall the science press conference where spokesmen said that they might have found evidence of life on mars (meteor fossil), but they didn't have conclusive evidence one way or the other. The next day, all the headlines read something to the effect of "Life on Mars!". The media is for the masses, and unfortunately, too many people take what they say as fact.

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am taking issue with the fact that they only reported want they wanted to as always. A person is likely to understand his rational if they read about him getting shot in the face and the guy from his unit getting blown up by a booby trapped dead body. The way they presented it paints him as a ruthless murderer.

·
Registered
932 Posts
havoc said:
I am taking issue with the fact that they only reported want they wanted to as always. A person is likely to understand his rational if they read about him getting shot in the face and the guy from his unit getting blown up by a booby trapped dead body. The way they presented it paints him as a ruthless murderer.
I don't think that this particular news story painted him as a ruthless murderer, unless you are reading it with bias. At any rate, I know what you are trying to say about the media in general, and I whole heartedly agree! There have been many similar articles on cnn.com, and the like, and the reporters do like to paint a very one-faceted picture. May I suggest BBCAmerica for you news from now on. It is usually very free of coloration and like.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
quantumfield said:
I don't think that this particular news story painted him as a ruthless murderer, unless you are reading it with bias. At any rate, I know what you are trying to say about the media in general, and I whole heartedly agree! There have been many similar articles on cnn.com, and the like, and the reporters do like to paint a very one-faceted picture. May I suggest BBCAmerica for you news from now on. It is usually very free of coloration and like.
That's why I don't watch CNN (Communist News Network) anymore and apparently nobody else does either. I heard on the local news last week that CNN will be closing it's doors at the end of this year because they can't compete with the likes of FOX news and the Bill Gates(F#@k him too) network.

Most of the media and news enterviews with the higher ups said they think the soldier was right in his actions and should not be disciplined for it. I agree 100%!

I wonder why Al Jazeera is airing the footage of this marine shooting an insurgent over and over again but yet they refuse to air the cold blooded killing of the British/Iraqi woman that the insurgents kidnapped, tortured and killed. When are we going to drop a couple of 500lb laser guided bombs on that TV studio?! :cursin: Their nothing but a terrorist organization inciting violence against our soldiers.

Tim

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
For those regarded as warriors, when engaged in combat the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God, or Buddha himself. This truth lies at the heart of the art of combat. - from Kill Bill vol. 1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts