Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that i have a small screw stuck in my back tire. bike only has 500 miles on it so that sucks but i guess thats life...
anyways, my question is, i have my appointment tomorrow morning at the dmv to take the test to get my license. do you think ill be ok if i ride on it with the little screw stuck in my tire? or am i being retarted thinking that its ok to ride on it? i was parked at the store about 15 miles away from home when i noticed the screw in my back tire, and i rode it home without any issues but maybe that was just luck. so whats the deal? can i make it or is riding on it a no go?
thanks for your guys imput in advance.....

EDIT: by the way, the little screw is about 3/4 of an inch off center to the right side of the tire so its not anywhere near the sidewall or anything if that makes a difference......

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I would replace the tire but you may want to plug it or patch it until you are able to get another tire.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
im sure youll be fine. if thats all youre gonna do. ride there, take the test and
ride back home. jus be sure to check the tire pressure before you ride out!
only problem i see...is when they do the motorcycle safety inspection if they do
one at all. if they see that nail in the tire they may count it as unsafe to operate.
and might make you go fix it and come back another time.
color it black when you get there before they do an inspection so itll be harder
to see or park it with the tire/nail facing down on the asphalt. out of sight out
of mind.
fix it/replace it asap when you get done!!!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me, was fine for the ride home (i noticed it at work), but the next day i had little tire pressure. filled it up, rode to a local shop to get a new tire, and it was flat again when i got there.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i had a 3 inch long nail in my tire and it only had 300 miles. i rode it 15 miles on the freeway... 55mph... or less....

got it patched up... its good. but get it repaired/replaced asap.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
get warm water, put dish detergent in it to make bubbly, then apply over the screw to see if there are any leaks.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
NEVER patch a tire!! NEVER! Patches fail. Always use a patch/plug instead. Much, much safer and is recommended by the tire manufacturers.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_tiretips.asp?id=30#tip

Dunlop said:
Dunlop recommends only permanent repairs performed from the inside of the tire, using a combination patch/plug method. Never attempt a repair from the outside, or inject a sealant, or simply use an innertube, a patch or a plug as a substitute for a proper repair.

Only a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle tire dealer should perform repairs. Inspection of the tire and adequacy of repair becomes the responsibility of the person actually performing the repair and Dunlop does not warrant the results of a repair in any way. Combination patch/plug repair kits for use by the repair shop or dealer are available with accompanying instructions from companies such as:

Remarco Inc.
200 Paris Ave.
Northvale, NJ 07647
(201) 768-8100

Technical Rubber Co.
P.O. Box 486
Johnstown, OH 43031
(740) 967-9015

Tip-Top/Moto Combi Kit

Tech Uni-Seal® Repair Kit (Also has been marketed by Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha with their own part numbers.)

NOTE: There may be suitable repair kits and materials provided by manufacturers other than those listed above.

Before any repair should be attempted, however, a tire must be removed from the wheel and thoroughly inspected. The following are minimum guidelines for the repairer:

Tires should not be repaired if any of the following conditions exist:

1. A tire has been previously injected with a sealant/balancer.
2. The puncture is larger than 6mm (1/4") in diameter.
3. The puncture is not perpendicular to the carcass.
4. The puncture is in the tire sidewall.
5. Separation of plies, tread separation, separation of any other components.
6. Cut or broken ply cords.
7. Broken or damaged bead wires.
8. Cut or damaged chafers (bead area).
9. Deterioration of the carcass inside the tire due to "run flat" or underinflation.
10. Cracks or other damage to the integrity of the inner liner.
11. Excessive wear - tire should have at least 1/32 of an inch of tread depth, excluding tread wear indicators.
12. Cracks in sidewall or tread.
13. Impact breaks, cuts, snags or gouges that penetrate the surface.

NOTE:

1. There should be no more than one repair in any quarter of the tire and no more than two repairs per tire.
2. The wheel itself must be in good condition. Any cracked or bent wheel, however slightly, may allow the loss of air and cause subsequent deflation of the tire.
3. Following repair, the valve assembly should be replaced and the tire/wheel rebalanced.
4. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after tire repair and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds over 80 mph. The repairer is solely responsible for instructing the motorcyclist as to the restrictions to be placed on tire use following repair.

In summary, NO form of temporary repair should be attempted. Motorcycle tire repairs leave no room for error and any doubt as to inspection or adequacy of repair should be resolved by discarding the tire.

Be sure to consult our Motorcycle Tire Limited Warranty, Care and Maintenance brochure for additional information regarding the use of Dunlop tires. Seek a qualified motorcycle tire repair center for more details. NEVER ATTEMPT TO REPAIR A DAMAGED TIRE WITHOUT THE AIDE OF AN EXPERIENCED TIRE MECHANIC.

·
Registered
638 Posts
are you sure the screw has gone through the carcass? try charle's test. if they are no leaks, repeat after you have pulled out the screw, if there are leaks, put the screw back in and ride to your tire dealer. I have an automobile tire plug kit on my bike that allows me to plug the tire (from the outside) in emergencies like these. you could do the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone who replied. well good news, it all worked out just fine...
i woke up this morning to find that the tire was holding its air pressure so i rode it to the dmv, made sure to park it so that the screw was on the bottom during the inspection, passed my test, rode to the cycle shop, bought a new pilot power for $139, paid $50 to have it installed and on i went without any problems.
anyways, thanks again everyone for your info....happy riding!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
some will say don't plug it buy a new one....i got a screw in my tire at 700 miles...i plugged it and have put another 2600 miles since and not a single problems...i did a burnout once right after i put it in to seal it...its been to 160mph twice and speeds over 100mph every time i go out...if you put it in right and do a quick burnout to make sure it really seals IMO....IMO..it'll be fine

·
Registered
311 Posts
IMO you shouldnt ride a sportbike to take your cycle endorsement test go get a razz or something MUCH easier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts