Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well leaving the bank 30 min ago on an open road, i let off the throttle then got back on it. We all know what ahppends if you do that with 15/45 sprockets. I looked over to the right and just as the wheel came up i saw the sheriff to the right of me stopping at a stop sign. Needless to say within 10 seconds I was pulled over. He says you know what youre getting? Exhibition Driving, I didnt have my license on me so i went and sat in his car. Immediately when i was pulled over i took off my helmet and just told him what happened. I also told him i just regeared the bike and the throttle is much more touchy. There were no cars coming at me or in front of me and my wheel came up maybe 1 foot off the ground.. MAX. I called my insurance lady and she was on the phone, but i asked the receptionist how bad it waqs on my record and rates. She said its almost as bad as drunk driving.. I WAS LIKE WTF!!!!! So does anyone know anything about this sort of ticket and if its worth fighting. Or any advice at all!? Its a 50 dollar fine and 3 points off my license, I cant believe that is like drunk driving WTF. I wasnt speeding or anything.... I just am looking for some advice on this... Im in Fargo ND if that helps.........

N

·
0 Posts
Oh man, that's not good.

Definitely worth fighting and looking into. Exhibition Driving stays on for...what was it, 5 or 7 years. I always thought and heard the points were 2 not 3.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
Man that sucks. Hope it works out good for you.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The definition of exhibition driving has an element of disturbing the peace:

"Exhibition driving" means driving a vehicle in a manner which disturbs the peace by creating or causing unnecessary engine noise, tire squeal, skid, or slide upon acceleration or braking; or driving and executing or attempting one or a series of unnecessary abrupt turns.

How is a wheelie defined under this?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Insurance agent said, "It stays on for 3 years, it wont effect motorcycle insurance till next year (I have liability for 330 a year), its not as bad as a dui it just a little worse than speeding"..........fukc.......what to do

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Don't pop anymore wheelies in front of a cop? Sorry. You asked. But seriously, you take it to court; I dont know if you need a lawyer since it's not a criminal offense like DUI or reckless. Tell them what you told the cop. If you have a clean/clear record, you'll get off with a warning and costs, maybe a point reduction. If you're lucky, the cop won't show and you'll get off. A wheelie qualifies as exhibition because it required unnecessary engine noise, beyond normal acceleration; it's equivalent to a spinning your tires in a car from a stop. When it comes down to it, if you find yourself guilty of breaking this law, shouldn't you pay for it?

When I speed and get caught, sure I fight it, but I'm still guilty when it all comes down to it. Just be more careful next time. Look at it this way, if he wasn't there and you got carried away with your wheelie, you may have wrecked your bike or yourself. Think of it as him preventing all of that from happening!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
In NC the appropriate charge would be carless and reckless driving.....4 points on your license. A good rule of thumb (an this varies from insurance company to insurance company) is 15% - 20% increase per point for a period of three years. In NC this charge is just below DWI.

N

·
0 Posts
You better hope the judge doesn't ride and know nothing about bikes because any modification to the bike's stock components is illegal.

·
Registered
543 Posts
hell no... thats why i dont want any tickets. insurance is too much as is

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nemesis said:
You better hope the judge doesn't ride and know nothing about bikes because any modification to the bike's stock components is illegal.
So telling him it was regeared wont help me out at all?

N

·
0 Posts
wynngripRR said:
So telling him it was regeared wont help me out at all?
Hahahaha...you got it....and telling the cop that didn't help either. You were probably better off telling him your hand slipped on the throttle but that would be lying, and I wouldn't encourage that.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So if i were to take it to court what would be reasonable to tell them? I just chopped the throttle and got on it and my front tire lifted? Any other advice on what I could say that would be beneficial? Also Nem are you gonna order something from ronayers with toe, id like to get that left lower ordered and if I could save on shipping its be nice being that my insurance just went sky high haha

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I would hire a lawyer and try for an Unsafe Movement or if you are really lucky (or your lawyer is really good) an Improper Equipment (on account of those "faulty gears").

·
Registered
427 Posts
You should try to fight it in court. If there were no other vehicles or pedestrians around, you can raise the question, who were you exhibiting to? I know of a case where somebody peeled out on a street and was cited for exhibition of speed. He won the case because there was no other vechicles or pedestrians around.

Its worth a shot..

N

·
0 Posts
wynngripRR said:
Also Nem are you gonna order something from ronayers with toe, id like to get that left lower ordered and if I could save on shipping its be nice being that my insurance just went sky high haha
Gonna have to check out the site tonight and what I need when I get home.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Go to court and hope that the cop wont be there and you go home not guilty. Some times this works: find out when is the court date, then call the police department (where his office is at) and ask the clerck to check his schadual (ask for something stupid if she asks why) the point is, if he has a day off on that day most likely he wont show up at the court. That can work, i know people that have done this. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts