Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

I had a 140mph get off

5743 Views 80 Replies 53 Participants Last post by  xcessiv
Soooo.... yeah. Went to hooters, had a great time, talked about the lack of gear around only one part of my body (my ass) and so on, was a great BoRn meeting and everyone had fun.

now before i continue, i dont consider myself a squid and so on, i have done a few squid things here and there but hey, havent we all at some point... i do the track days, i have the gear, the track plastics, i stunt when i stunt in a closed off abandend airport and so on.... so heres the story:

EDIT: to make this easy, im in CT, its been 50s here all month pretty much, today it was 70! This happend at 10pm on a connector between two major highways, its about 5 miles long and straight with a nice big (NOT SOFT) concrete devider:

We go out to hartford, go up 384, 291 and a few other places just to ride around in the nice weather. It gets kinda late but we end up at NECC again, meet up with at few guys and we go out for a spin again, on 291 me and a guy on a gsxr 750 line up to do a 2nd gear roll on again, did it a few times and all was good (guy didnt beleive me it was a 600, said its a 1000 with diff stickers... he suck at riding, but who am i to say that NOW). Anywho, 3rd time, we open up, i upshift into 5th and at the same time i go over a small bridge type thing devider that picks the front end up a little.

As it comes down it goes into a small tank slapper for about .2 seconds and from there it escalates to that Isle of man TT tank slapper that we all have seen, I rode that out for about 1/4 mile at 140 if not faster. Did everything i could to try and get on the gas or lean back and so on... but it was so violent and fast i couldnt do **** but hang on and let it do its thing.

After some time the bike starts to drift fast from the right lane into the concrete devider on the left. Once i got to about 1' away, i had to make the hardest desision of my life... to jump off the side of the bike at those speeds. So, thats what i did, i leaned back and slid off the right side of the bike. Landed on my right butt cheeck and and right before that the bike slammed into the wall as my leg dragged on it a bit. Once on the ground i knew right away to get onto the protected parts of my body so i worked hard to lift my butt off the ground and slide on my back, my boots, my helmet and so on. At some point i end up clipping the wall and it spun me around till i came to a stop (guys said i went at least 100-200 feet).

After sliding over a drain, i rolled onto my stomak and started to crall down the side of the highway... figured thats not a good idea and rolled over to lay down and check myself. There was almost no traffic but by this time a few cars had stopped and so did everyone else who was on the bikes (only BoRn members). I checked myself for a few, i knew i didnt hit anything hard and so on... so i got up and started to walk, my bike was a good 300 feet down the road.

I walked up the side of the highway in the left lane to pick up my credit cards and so on since my wallet got ripped out of my back pocket, i also knew my ass was a little on the fucked side. Chris ran up to me and told me the bike still runs and to see what i wanted to do... i jumped on it and we took the next exit (1 mile or so).

At the gas station we really inspected me and the bike, and since i was 10min from home i said **** it, ill just limp it home. Came home, went to hospital to scrub my ass (BOY does that ******* hurt!) and now im here, the only ONLY, rash i have is on the unprotected part of my body, and i have one small little blister on my palm from trying to stear myself and it rubbed through in one spot.

I had on, Riding boots, shin guards, knee pads, back protector, leather jacket, leather gloves and a helmet, and that all SAVED me life! I cant be more happy with the way a really bad situation turned out!

The bike:

See less See more
41 - 60 of 81 Posts
A-start gloves, FUCING AWESOME! i had to stear my body with my hands on the ground at a few points when i tried to get my ass off the ground. I had Icon shin/knee guards and a icon back and chest protector. The jacket is a technic one.
a 140 get-off, damn, that is one crazy story to tell lol. Just think, a Stabilizer would have prevented all of that. You definitely wear more gear than anyone I know, good job. I recently looped, slow speed at a stunt spot, but my ass is the only part that got hurt lol, we need asspads. Must be really cool to come out of something like that alive, part luck, part skill. Good Job lol.
Glad you are still here with us Io!! I'm sure u dont need me to tell ya how lucky you are. I had a similar situation but only going HALF the speed. Definatly a helpless feeling. Oh yeah, Welcome to the "tankslapper roadrash ass club".:icon_lol:
damn dude, that's nuts!!! glad to see you're okay though. and might i add, that having to probably be one of the toughest, yet best decisisons of your life. i don't know if i would have been able to do that, i have the gear for it but to know you're going that fast...damn.
Io-Bot said:
As it comes down it goes into a small tank slapper for about .2 seconds and from there it escalates to that Isle of man TT tank slapper that we all have seen, I rode that out for about 1/4 mile at 140 if not faster. Did everything i could to try and get on the gas or lean back and so on... but it was so violent and fast i couldnt do **** but hang on and let it do its thing.
Io-Bot said:
also, i was wide open throughout the tank slapper (or more or less).
Guys, I have to tell you that a steering damper would not have prevented this. He made a mistake and then compounded the problem by fighting the bike. A steering damper will dampen a tank slapper. Not prevent them. Only you can prevent a tank slapper by not making mistakes. If you get into a tank slapper relax your grip and the bike will settle itself. Giving it more gas is a gamble that doesn't always pay off.

http://www.mad-ducati.com/Mpeg/tankslapper_tt99.mpeg
G
Tell that to Fubar929 here:

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180648&highlight=steering+damper+scotts

fubar929 said:
I have a number of beefs with the Scotts damper. Keep in mind that I bought two or three of them and used them over a period of 2-3 years on 2-3 different bikes. I've also posted about this extensively in the past, but here's the summary:

1) It's difficult to get the settings correct. The only way you know if it will stop a tankslapper is to get a full-blown tankslapper! If you've guessed wrong about the settings...

2) It's slow to react to headshake, which I attribute mostly to the dual-circuit design. I had a number of tankslappers with the Scotts installed. They'd always start out with the bars moving from side-to-side at a moderate pace and quickly progress to the point where the bars where flailing back-and-forth out-of-control. There was a noticable lag before the high-speed damping circuit would kick-in and start to dampen the movement. Invariably, I'd end up getting control of the bike back just as I was leaving the pavement at a high rate of speed.

The nice thing about rod-style, and to some extent the GPR rotary, is that they're always damping steering movement. In effect, they stop headshake/wobbles before they turn into a tankslapper. The Scotts had a tendency to let the wobble turn into a tankslapper, and only then would it start damping it out. I eventually found settings that seemed to work pretty well, but by then I'd given up on the product...
Good try CV. But this guy appears to be riding very hard and aggresive on the track. Not quite the same as your normal street rider and certianly not a fair comparison for this discussion. Tanks slappers should be a once in a blue moon event. Why buy something to mask a mistake? I believe we should educate riders on the correct way to handle one, if it ever happens to them. Not buy something to cover up a mistake that they don't know how to adjust and will probably make it steer worse.

But I digress. Io-Bot, stop racing on the streets! You are one lucky SOB to survive that. I hope you learned a valuable lesson and set a good example for everyone else.
hey man, lucky you made it out of that ok. the road looks really straight, thank god. hitting anything at that speed would've probably mangled anyone up real good. i can't believe the bike slid for a 1000feet. i'm not gonna tell you to slow down because i too go that fast from time to time. but rather, i'll say ... be careful bro. we wanna see you riding till many many many more years to come.

peace out. hope you heal quickly.
NewRedRider said:
Good try CV. But this guy appears to be riding very hard and aggresive on the track. Not quite the same as your normal street rider and certianly not a fair comparison for this discussion. Tanks slappers should be a once in a blue moon event. Why buy something to mask a mistake? I believe we should educate riders on the correct way to handle one, if it ever happens to them. Not buy something to cover up a mistake that they don't know how to adjust and will probably make it steer worse.

But I digress. Io-Bot, stop racing on the streets! You are one lucky SOB to survive that. I hope you learned a valuable lesson and set a good example for everyone else.
True, hell i hope my gear story alone helps people get stuff, i think its well worth teh $70 for the shin/knee guards and the $90 for the back and chest protector. I have gotten a lot of people to buy those things already.

Also, for the tank slapper, it was a combination of bad events put together, iv had one or two here, but never anything major. At NHIS iv had a head shack when i crested 5 but thats manageble. This on the other hand was not. I it was so long i had time to try a few things before i bailed... from what i have read they say the best thing is to give it gas to lighten the front end, but that normaly doesnt work for anything under 80mph or so... at those speeds all i could do was sit back and pray.

My mistake should help guide some of the newer riders...

Also, at first i was more pissed off about my cellphone sliding up to me by itself after i had stopped, i figured the bike was gone, trashed and so on... but after a min or so my friend jumped nutt to butt with a fellow rider, went out and got the bike, came back and said it still works and we should hightail out of there if i wanted to. I was up for that!
See less See more
G
Why buy something to mask a mistake?

I ask you this,

Why would the 07 600rr come with one stock if it were to mask a mistake?

What a better person to explain how a steering damper works than a guy who has done 119 trackdays this year. I'd take his word for it. He has them more frequent than the average joe just means that they save his arse that much more. Try and tell him he is masking a mistake...
cvlighthouse said:
Why buy something to mask a mistake?

I ask you this,

Why would the 07 600rr come with one stock if it were to mask a mistake?

What a better person to explain how a steering damper works than a guy who has done 119 trackdays this year. I'd take his word for it. He has them more frequent than the average joe just means that they save his arse that much more. Try and tell him he is masking a mistake...
Well obviously he is if he keeps getting tank slappers! :icon_lol:

We might as well agree to disagree. I've been riding bikes since the 70's and none of them have had a steering damper. IMO, street riders are better off spending their money on education, gear, and track days to gain experience then a bling factor that gives them false hope.
G
NewRedRider said:
..We might as well agree to disagree. ...

IMO, street riders are better off spending their money on education, gear, and track days to gain experience then a bling factor that gives them false hope.
Can we please have another rear brake discussion here?

Why would Honda engineers include one on the new 600rr? Bling factor purposes? Why would most all racing orgs. require them? Bling factor.. haha

False hope or possibly saved his arse...

What could he have done different? He mentioned he tried to do everything to avoid it.
NO! I have to get some rest tonight damnit! Now you've drug me into another steering damper thread you bastard! :icon_lol:

Ok last comment, most riders on JenningsGP forum have their dampers set on the lowest setting possible and some wouldn't even use them if they weren't required.
G
Lowest setting does make sense. A higher setting will only make matters worse.

A steering damper "in general" is not a bad idea...
Hope you recover fast !

P.S. Get some leather M/C pants for next time !! :director:
Man, you're a lucky SOB!

Io-Bot said:
i was more pissed off about my cellphone sliding up to me by itself after i had stopped
LMAO!
I wonder how you feel after all the adrenaline and drugs wear off....haha.
Have fun healing up and be sure to live long enough to tell your grandkids this story.
glad you're ok man. good job on wearing the gear. next time take your racing to the strip tho ;)
I'm just happy to see you made it through that one. Both you and the bike actually ended up with much less injury then what one would imagine. Fix that bike during winter and get the hell back on it when the weather permits! Chin up buddy. I hope you heal up soon.
:sad3: :police: STEP AWAY FROM THE BIKE!!! Definitely not a good candidate for a group ride! 3 times the charm :rolleyes: 3 strikes an yer out :director:
41 - 60 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.